Monday, January 24, 2011

Steph & Office Supplies: A Love Story

Somewhere on the other side of town, a young man by the name of Steph's Boyfriend is watching Supernatural. He's known to do pretty normal things from time to time, unlike his gal.

We're midway through a good scene, he's enjoying himself, rah-rah and then... THE PHONE RINGS.

STÉPHANIE flashes across the screen. It's an iPhone, so the screen is pretty awesome, but still, it's STÉPHANIE calling. He knows she's about to go 3000000000 miles an hour, so he sighs and answers. "Hel--"

"I FOUND MORE. I FOUND MORE!!!!! I'M BUYING MORE. THIS NEW DEBIT CARD HASN'T EVER SEEN THIS MUCH ACTION!"

"Yeah, it being new kinda does that..."

"THESE NOTEBOOKS ARE SO PRETTY I COULD CRY."

"How many total is that now?" I won't lie: he sounds tired. We've been having this convo for the past couple of days, ever since I discovered a store at the mall carries the exact brand of notebooks that I *love* and are pretty hard to find.

"SIX. PLUS THE MINIS. WHICH ARE FOUR. PLUS THAT OTHER AWESOME ONE I JUST LOVED AND BOUGHT."

"So...eleven new notebooks. You don't need that much paper..."

"THIS WAY I WON'T EVER NEED TO BUY NOTEBOOK AGAIN FOR LIKE, I DON'T KNOW, A COUPLE OF YEARS."

"You know you'll find the brand again next year before school starts and just buy 70 more, so I don't know whom you're trying to convince."

"CAN THIS BE MY ONE THING I SPEND RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS OF MONEY ON? I'M PRETTY FRUGAL ON THE WHOLE, SO I THINK I'M JUSTIFIED--"

"Pens, highlighters, actually, office supplies in general, ummm.... BOOKS, although one would NEVER KNOW THAT just by LOOKING AT YOUR ROOM, and then there's all the Converse, and--"

"BUZZKILL. YOU ARE SUCH A BUZZKILL. DAMN YOU. Okay, I'm next in line to pay, so bye bye bye, love you, bye."

(The caps are where I was fangirling out of control.)

-

Since then, I've had time to get back home and pile up the notebooks into the Mount Olympus of all paper-product goodness, admire them, and wish I could buy more.

Alas, my bank statement is singing to another tune. If I keep this up, no BEA, and I just can't do that. Too many reasons to go.

So, anyway, my recent FANGIRLING on Twitter let me in on this little secret: Book people are also Worshipers. It makes sense. So why not celebrate it?! This is one topic I could go on forever about, so I'm thinking ... I will. But first:

What's your favorite truly awesome/innovative/just plain weird-and/or-strange-and/or-cool office supplies (particularly post-it products and pens and highlighters; I'm kind of low on those)?

7 comments:

Kelly Peres said...

I must say I find that this is all normal. I agree with you once you find something you like I too am not willing to miss out so i stock up. My office supply addictions at work are pens and colored post it (preferably pink, my boss says she hate it cuz she can't read my messages cuz the are glowing because its neon pink).

Ronni said...

This is a topic after my own heart. :) Now, as far as highlighters go, I like the neon ones. Not yellow, but neon yellow. And i love notebooks. I have so many. So yes, I understand the need to stock up--seems like everything I like gets discontinued, so I stock up when I see it!

(: Isa :) said...

Wah I loved your story! Made me laugh :)

Yeah I bought two small packets of sticky note thingies for marking up important quotations in books, but I can't bring myself to use them since they are so pretty. It is the same with my stationary lol.

lisa said...

MOLESKINE FOREVER. and uniball signo for pens...mmm...i about died when the hubs brought me a red uniball signo from work! so lovely.

Alessandra @Out of the Blue said...

I totally understand you. I love office supplies, too, especially notebooks with pretty covers (flowery, shiny, whatever) and pens with glossy ink (even though I make a mess of everything when writing with them. I should stick to basic ballpoint pens, like small kids). I also have a thing for spiral-bound notebooks, but I usually refrain from stocking up because they're so terribly expensive.

alexandra george said...

hi!! i just discovered this blog and became a follower immediately!! I just love the way you write... and you have so much information here.
I can't believe there is someone else out there with the same love for office supplies as me :) I also love all kinds of notebooks and also fountain pens. i don't know why, but I have a passion about them.
of course, my husband reacts very similarly to your boyfriend... ah, men, what do they know?
have a wonderful weekend.

Ruth @ Bookish Ruth said...

I relate to this post so, so much! Seriously, I will hoard notebooks and pens like there is no tomorrow. When I find something I really like, I get attached.

Oh, when you have a minute, could you change my URL in your blogroll? I lost my domain so I'm blogging at http://thebookishruth.com now. Thanks Steph!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph