Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Yeah, maybe I'm not totally back yet.

**this is interesting for those who don't understand me when I say the uni admissions system in Brazil is so much different than in the US**

Current schedule for Steph:

Get up at six.
School at 7:30.
7:30-1:10 - six fifty period classes, with four five minute breaks and one twenty minute one.
1:10-2:00 lunch
2:00-4ish, some afterschool class, although not always, and the time varies
4:30 - get home
Study until 11:30 or midnight or maybe later.

Hoping to get into uni (we do entrance exams here, your hs transcripts have no value whatsoever - it's all test scores) this year. If not, next year will be revision all over again and that sucks. I want to go straight into university from hs (this is my last year and I graduate in Dec).

For those that are more interested, the program for the university I really want to get in is:

First phase: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Math, Geography, History, Sociology, Philosophy, and Art History.
Detail: While theoretically Phil and Soc are classes I have, we don't have any actual classes - just some leaflets (horrible stuff) and a test every quarter. So now I'm reading about Plato and Kant and Hume and Habermas and Descartes and Locke (not too deeply, it's not SUPER in-depth in the exam, but still, it's a lot given everything else) and I haven't even touched Sociology.
Detail x2: Art History was a class I had on my sophomore year. Don't remember much of it. Have to go back to the prehistoric times and work my way up. Not fun.

First phase is the same for everyone. In the major I'm trying to test in for, Medicine (which is an undergrad course that lasts six years here), it's 54 people per spot & only 10% of applicants make it past the first phase. I should've begun studying in the beginning of the year, but put it off and now I'm struggling to make sense of everything, but by god, I am doing my best.

Second phase: Med = 5 people per spot
Portuguese Lit and language arts, English, Chemistry and Bio (for people who want biology-related majors, like pharmacy, biomedicine, etc - each major group has its set of second phase subjects) + an essay

Oh boy.

This is a school in the south of Brazil so all their lit is different than the southeast, where I live. That means I'm also reading 9 books on their list, four of which are poetry collections, and a lot of which were written in like the 1600s and onwards. BUT! If you're a movie buff & you know Cidade de Deus (City of God), that's one of the contemporary books I'm reading. Cool.

Please wish me luck! I need it. Medicine is the most competitive major and thankfully math and physics are not predominant on the first phase, and disappear completely after that, so that helps. I need 70% to move to the second, and around 80% in the second to make it, and I think I can do it. But I need those 37908923874-hour study days, so I can't be doing much else.

This is a lesson to those of you who procrastinate. I wish I hadn't. I would be so much more chill now, and I would be so much more sure I could pass. My parents, boyfriend and best friend think I can still do it, but they're biased, eh?

So this is why I've disappeared. That and some other secret-ish stuff.

But I do plan on posting when I can! If anyone's still here, I mean.

8 comments:

Kimberly Derting said...

Wow, Steph, that's brutal. I think that's as good an excuse as any to be absent(ish)!

Simply_Megan said...

That's crazy how different it is in Brazil to get into college! I had to take the SATs but no crazy entrance exams for those really hard subjects. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll do fine :)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think its better at Brazil, for my case anyway. I would be more then happy if they did not see my transcript. I had a really bad score in a class a C+. But please keep us informed, I'm going through the same thing. And yeah, with economy going ehh there has been a huge percentage of increase interest in medicine.

Alyce said...

Wow - that sounds hellish. I wish you the best of luck!

A.S. King said...

Wow. Good luck! And we're here!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

holy... GOOD LUCK! *sends positive vibes*

holly cupala said...

Best wishes on your studies and exams, Steph!

Ali said...

How is it going, my dear Steph? Are you still being crushed by a pile of work to do?

Hope all is well! :) Lots of love!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph