Thursday, August 5, 2010

Book sightings in Brazilian bookstores!

My boyfriend and I went to the mall to browse today and we went into its TINY TINY TINY SHAME OF A BOOKSTORE and much to my delight and surprise and overall squeee-ness, I found MANY blogger favorites, in Portuguese.

For anyone who doesn't know, yes, I am Brazilian.

So, anyway, I got his iPhone and I began snapping pictures of all of the ones I could find. He's used to my antics so he didn't even ask. The saleslady, however, was looking at us with some contempt. To avoid staying conspicuous, I gave him the phone and asked him to get pictures of the House of Night series and he did, just like that, when the saleslady went to ring up someone else's items.

And that is the ultimate testament of how awesome my boyfriend, J, is.

The end result:

How awesome is THIS?

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
(Portuguese: Sussuro - which means "whisper")
*Didn't take a centered picture of it, but you can see The Vampire Diaries right beside it!


Shadow Kiss (loved the first in the series) by Richelle Mead
O beijo das sombras (Portuguese)

Wake by Lisa McMann
Despertar (Portuguese)

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (LOVE.)
Feios (Portuguese)


Stargazer (first in the series review) by Claudia Gray
Caçadora de Estrelas (Portuguese)


Blue Moon by Alyson Noël
Lua Azul (Portuguese)



Betrayed, Untamed and Marked by PC Cast & Kristin Cast
Traída, Indomada and Marcada (Portuguese)

And yes, there was Twilight too, but that's just so cliché nowadays that I thought I'd give the others a chance to shine.

As you can see, all are American bestsellers and most are about vampires. A bit unfair that that's the only selection currently available in Brazil? Well, yeah. Keep in mind this is a small store of a huge chain and I'll try to go into one of their larger stores when I go to a bigger city. HOWEVER, you should know that this is HUGE for Brazil. There has never been such selection beyond Harry Potter and Meg Cabot for teenagers, and I know contemporary authors like Elizabeth Scott are also due to come out here--so there's hope yet!

6 comments:

Midnight Bloom said...

That's so neat!! And lol, that was pretty cool of your bf! ^.~

Reverie said...

I LIKE THIS! I hope you do it again bc I love seeing foreign covers!

Little Ms J said...

So cool! I love seeing HUSH HUSH in another language!

Liviania said...

Tres cool. I love the foreign Shadow Kiss cover.

Amee said...

I love seeing the foreign edition covers for books. Very cool. And even in bookstores here in the US, vampires dominate. It sucks when I see that 90% of the YA books coming through the check out are vampire fiction. Rarely do I see Elizabeth Scott, Sarah Dessen, or even Meg Cabot!

Alyce said...

I had no idea you were from Brazil. I enjoyed seeing the different covers!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph