Thursday, June 18, 2009

BEST Birthday Ever

No one cares but I just want to remember this day, so...

The day's not over yet but I'm about to go under to study chemistry for my finals tomorrow (true story), so I thought I'd post this today:

This day's been absolutely magical!

In the morning we overslept so I basically had no breakfast and rushed to the car for my mom to drive me to school (got there with fifteen seconds to spare). In the car she pulls out this small package and says, "Open it!"

Mind you, I went to NYC for BEA two weeks ago and it was understood that aside from paying half of the trip, my parents' half was my birthday gift. So far all the birthday money I've gotten from relatives has gone straight to my dad's wallet. I'm happy this way because what parents allow their kids to miss a week of school, three exams, and get on international flights to the most expensive cities in the world?

I thought so.

But anyway, I opened it up and a crystal frog was inside. Crystal! Frog! (I'm a frog maniac, by the way. Stuffed/figurine ones in any case. It's gotten better as I've grown older, but it's still there.)

I squealed.

Got to school and walked in my maths class and one friend handed me a hilarious note saying happy birthday and no one said anything else. But they weren't conspicuous about it: they seemed a bit ticked off with me, and even though my bullshit detector's fine tuned 99% of the time, they had me believing they'd forgotten.

I was heartbroken because, well. I don't need gifts or any show-offy displays of birthday remembrance, but a HUG from my FRIENDS?

And then in the second class with this brilliant yet utterly unfit to teach physics teacher, they began singing happy birthday until the dude begged them to stop. I was so surprised by that I thought it was someone else's birthday. -.-

THEN. Over the second break, a bunch of people came up to me and hugged me and said, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" and it was great.

THEN. On the third break, which is the 20-minute one we get, they handed me two bouquets of origami flowers. (Lots of Japanese people 'round these parts. 80% of my friends are Japanese descendants, I'd wager.) It was so beautiful. I was just there admiring them and hugging my friends when they said, "There are messages inside the flowers."

I lost it. We sat around in a huge circle and I read them all and they were all so wonderful. You have no idea. Inside jokes galore, lots of laugh, lots of, "Never stop being strange or crazy!" sentiments (ha! I am quite strange in real life. More so than on the blog).

They helped me fold them all back up and we went to class.

My mom picked me up from school and took me to Subway (I LOVE SUBWAY). Some recent family stuff has made it so that I almost never have alone time with my mom anymore so it was this huge deal. She bought us these great juices and took me to two cappuccinno places (one of them so overpriced they'd put Starbucks to shame, but damn, good coffee).

And she got me a chocolate rose.

Here I am, about to do chemistry. PARTY TOMORROW, woo!

My weekend's all hectic so you may not see a lot of me. But thanks for all the birthday wishes from everyone who's sent them. And even though my friends and family don't know about this blog, and even though I've all but cried on them that's how excited I am, a huge shout out to them.

I AM SO HAPPY!

Steph
P.S. My grandmother just shoved some money to me. I can't get into this a lot, but right before the NYC trip there was an emergency and my mom was almost calling it off when my grandmother told her to JUST GO ALREADY. So not only has she given me the best gift ever with that, she's now insisting I take her money. Naturally, I refused.

She just stuck it in my underwear drawer instead.

56 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Steph! I'm glad it was memorable for you.

Kimberly Derting said...

Happy birthday, Steph! Enjoy your day!!! :)

beth said...

Yay! Happy birthday!

Origami flowers = awesome. I imagine you'll keep those forever, and open them whenever you feel sad or lonely, and they'll bloom all over again.

Kay Cassidy said...

Oh my gosh, what a fabulous birthday story, Steph!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

PJ Hoover said...

It sounds wonderful! I'm so glad you are having such a great birthday!

The Story Siren said...

glad you had an awesome birthday!

Iryna said...

I'm so glad you had a magical birthday!! Birthdays are meant to be special and I'm glad that's what yours is turning out to be. :) Happy Birthday!

Steph Su said...

Haha it sounds crazy! I'm glad it went so well for you!!!

Lauren said...

Happy Birthday, Steph!!!! I'm glad you had a great day.

Amee said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad you had such an awesome day. :)

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Happy Birthday! I'm one of those people that think everyone's birthday should be celebrated like a national holiday. Glad you had a great one!

Amber

J said...

Happy birthday! Hope you continue to have a lovely day!

Amy said...

Sounds like you had a pretty fabulous b-day!

Tanya Egan Gibson said...

Happy Birthday! My daughter loves frogs (she's still little, so she calls them "toadies"), too, so I was especially touched by your mother giving you the crystal frog.

Mik said...

Happy birthday Steph! Congrats on your awesome day!

deltay said...

Happy Birthday Steph! Sounds like you're having an awesome day so far, hope it continues :)

& Best of luck with your exam!

Alea said...

Awwwww HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

towerofbooks said...

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you had a great day.

cupcakewitch said...

Happy Birthday! Never stop being strange! I agree!

YA Book Realm said...

Oh HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! xD

Taren said...

Oh poodle, no one tells better stories than you. Once again, happy birthday!

Lenore said...

Happy Birthday! If you were online, I'd even defy Daniel to stay up and chat with you. And that's a BIG gift ;)

andrea jean said...

Today's your birthday? It's my birthday, too! Glad you got to spend time with your mom :)

Diana Dang said...

Happy birthday to you! Hopefully the day gets better and better for you!

lifeafterjane said...

What a wonderful day! Happy happy birthday!

Purdypirate said...

Oh my gosh it sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. Kinda magical huh? That's awesome. :) Your friends seem pretty cool. Happy Birthday, and good luck on the exam. ;)

Reader Rabbit said...

:) When you're online again, you must DISH about the party.

ANYWAYS, HAVE A SUPER AWESOME BIRTHDAY!!!
http://readerrabbit.blogspot.com/2009/06/happy-birthday-reviewer-x.html

bermudaonion said...

Happy birthday!

Reader Rabbit said...

Oh. And on the frog front..
I love frogs too (figurine type.)

I have a really cute froggie piggybank.

I'll show it to you later :p

Erica said...

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you had a great day!


:) Good look on your final by the way

Priya said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have many more great ones to come.

Liviania said...

Happy b-day! Glad you had a fun one.

Leah:) said...

happy birthday!

oh, and steph, i just tagged you in my WOYDD post.

http://www.simplynerdy.com/2009/06/whats-on-your-desk-wednesday-i-know-its.html

A.S. King said...

Feliz aniversario! Maio todos seus anos sejam enchidos com a alegria e as muitas râs.

Catt said...

Happy birthday, Steph! I hope you have an even awesomer day!

http://thedreamereader.blogspot.com/2009/06/today-is.html

writerjenn said...

Happy birthday!

RagDollVampGirl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEPH!!!!!!!!

xoxo
RagDollVampGirl

Sassy CC said...

Happy Birthday. Being surprised by the people that you care about makes you feel super special.

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Happy Birthday!

Donna said...

Sounds like an awesome birthday, Steph! Happy, happy birthday!

Bookworm said...

Happy birthday Steph! I hope you've had a wonderful day. (:

Khy said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY BIRTHDAY! *sings*

Hope the rest of your day (Well, the day might be over for you now but not for me. xD) is fabulous and wonderful. WHEEEEE.

I hope you eat cake to celebrate. Or already did. No birthday is complete without cake.

Shelley/Book Fanatic said...

I'm sorry my birthday wishes are so late! I'm glad you had a wonderful, magical day! We love you!!!

Jessica Verday said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Happy, happy happy birthday, happy happy happy birthday, Happy happy happy birthday to you to you to you ole' (o-lay)

Lee Verday said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Happy, happy happy birthday, happy happy happy birthday, Happy happy happy birthday to you to you to you ole' (o-lay)

That was from both of us.

Joel said...

Happy birthday, sweet 16! Would you believe I had it in my calendar? True 'nuff. XO

Alexa Young said...

Doh! That one from "Joel" was from my husband's account. Must remember to change login IDs when I'm out of town/on strange men's computers. :) Seriously...happy bday. xo

suzie said...

Happy birthday :) So glad it went well.

And one of those nominate the best blog ever chains is going around and I awarded you :)

Thao said...

Aww everyone loves you don't they? Happy Birthday to Stephhhhh!

Fauxreal said...

Happy Birthday! So glad that you had an amazing day -- hope the positive vibes last throughout the weekend. :)

Kate said...

Sorry I'm a day late, buy Happy Belated birthday =D

It sounds like you has fun and I hope you enjoyed it.

Th frog sounds really good!

Beth F said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! I've been so busy, this is the first chance I've had for blog reading.

ali :) said...

I could have said it about a thousand times over, but, I think I only hit about ten, which is way below the mark. But, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my dear Steph! HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D Wishing you plenty of amazing days ahead! Much, much, much love from this side of the world!

trish said...

Woot! Happy birthday! Love ya!

kami said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday.

Hope the chemistry studying went as well as the rest of the day.

Kelly said...

Happy bday! The crystal frog sounds super cute. I'm in Florida on vacation right now, which you should be totally jealous of I think because there are frogs EVERYWHERE! Real ones, I mean. :)

Glad to hear you had such a great day!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph