Sunday, June 7, 2009

48-Hour Book Challenge: Finish Line

I am officially done with 48HBC! It was great fun and I recommend you do it next year if you didn't do it this year--or hey, that you do it again next year, as I hope I'll get the chance to.

Anyway, as I was babysitting yesterday (I've mentioned this way too many times, huh?), I didn't finish as many books as I wanted to in that time. I'd be reading extra-slow to make space for my brain to coordinate several activities: entertain my niece (dancing...or something similar to it), rock her stroller, hold her (and somehow hold the book, too), and occasionally have to get up to do some chores.

So I read 5 books.

Catching Fire
Shiver
(still some pages to go, actually)
The Formal
The Demon's Lexicon
and Drive Me Crazy

My total amount of pages would be something like...less than 1500. And I read for 21 hours and 24 minutes.

WAIT I HAD NO IDEA THE SOCIAL NETWORKING HOURS COUNTED. I have no idea how much time I actually spent networking socially, but just my blog updates were at least half an hour plus...an hour or so Twittering? That's like 23 hours then.

I DID TWENTY THREE HOURS THEN.

I don't want to talk about it.

On the bright side, I did surpass my 20-hour goal. So there's that. Next year my goal will be 25 hours and 8 books.

But regardless, this was an awesome community effort to flip as many pages as possible for as many hours as possible and to be in such great company while doing it--and reading everyone's updates along the way--is what I think makes this challenge such a success. Seriously, try to join in next time one of these is done.

Cheers to MotherReader for putting this together.

23 comments:

Erica said...

Congrats! 21 hours is still a lot! I'm still on like 9 ack.

Lianne said...

congraualions, I'm definately doing it next year!

Anonymous said...

Hey, how was Catching Fire?

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

21 hours is awesome!! I had a blast doing the challenge too and have found some great blogs by commenting on everyone's updates.

RR said...

21 hours is plenty!I didn't even have time to do the challenge...with school, swimming, homework...it just wasn't gonna happen.

All the books you read sound terrific though!

Abby said...

Yay! And yes, 21 hours is a lot, especially while babysitting and doing other things, too! I love this challenge, especially the sense of community it builds as we all read together! (Or, well, "together" I guess...)

cupcakewitch said...

can't wait to read your reviews! i'm curious about shiver!

Amee said...

I guess technically I did participate. I read one book in the last two days. So not quite up to your accomplishments, but it's something! :P

the wanderer said...

congrats! Which was your favorite book of the group? Catching Fire?

Leah:) said...

im really sorry steph . . . but i am cracking up right now. and no, not a "ohmigod thats really pathetic" laugh, but a "ah, shit, steph is hilarious" laugh. even though you probably dont find it funny.

still, you participated! i know tons of bloggers who didnt (they were too chicken! shh! lol) do it. its the fact you wanted to do it that counts!

and did you go to motherreader and enter the URL for the summary to Mr Linky?

congrats! ive still got about 7 hours!

Leah;)

Monique said...

Congrats. And good job. I just finished a couple of minutes ago. I had a blast

theyayayas said...

21 hours rocks!

This is my first year doing the 48HBC. I'm not even done with my 48 hours yet, and I'm already looking forward to next year's event, too.

Trisha said...

The last comment was from me.

Trisha.

bermudaonion said...

You did great - glad you had fun while doing it.

MotherReader said...

Don't knock yourself with 21.5 hrs under your belt while babysitting. You rock! Thanks for playing with us this year! (And next.)

Laughing Stars said...

Fabulous job!

Cathy Ikeda said...

Great job - 21 hours is fabulous. I'd love to participate next year.
-Cathy

Alyssa said...

If I had particpated this year (had to work, ugh) I think I would have about 1500 pages in 21 hours. I love to read, but I am a very slow reader. Funny how I never thought so until I saw how fast many of the bloggers read around here! :-)

nikki said...

I think it rocks. I spent the whole weekend dealing with my 2 1/2 year old son's fever, crying bouts and stomach clutching and wondering whether this his illness is ER worthy. So my reading stats for this weekend are counted in PAGES, not books sadly.

Liyana said...

Great job, I hope to see you participating again next year!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Good job especially while babysitting! I know how hard it is, I had my two kids with me most of the time too.

Kelly said...

Um, y'all are sorta crazy. No, REALLY crazy. No way I could do that.

Congrats on an amazing accomplishment!

Miss Cindy said...

how cool, congrats!!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph