Saturday, May 9, 2009

Remember Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me?

I haven't done that in forever, have I? Here are some new additions to my 'what comes out in 2009' list, featuring books I found that deal with hard premises. I may make this like a regular feature - 'From the tragic wing' or something - depending on how many more I find!


After by Amy Efaw
(August 11th, 2009 // Viking Juvenile - Amazon | Indiebound)
Who would leave their own baby in the trash to die?

Certainly not someone like Devon--a straight-A student, soccer player with Olympic dreams, more mature than her own mother. But desparation and panic drover her to do what most people can't even imagine. Now Devon's in a juvenile detention center, charged with attempted murder. If she's tried as an adult, she faces life in prison.

Does Devon deserve that punishment? Your answer depends on whether you believe her story--that she didn't even know she was pregnant. Was she buried in a denial so deep that she was unable to register the seemingly obvious signs of pregnancy? Or were her actions the result of a more devious, premeditated plan?

Steph: I've read it and it is indeed very good. You can see a dedicated post for it here.


Positively by Courtney Sheinmel
(Sept 15th, 2009 // Simon & Schuster Children's - Amazon | Indiebound)
An unforgettable novel about a girl struggling with HIV.

Steph says: Interested to see in how this pans out. I would also love to see more of a synop (what are the circumstances??), but in any rate, I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one.




Jumping Off Swings by Jo Knowles
(August 11th, 2009 // Candlewick - Amazon | Indiebound)
What I could find about it:

Jo said it used to be called SLUT.

One pregnancy. Four friends. It all adds up to a profound time of change in this poignant, sensitively written YA novel.

Tells, from four points of view, the ramifications of a pregnancy resulting from a "one-time thing" between Ellie, who feels loved when boys touch her, and Josh, an eager virgin with a troubled home life.

Steph says: I am sold.


Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr
(October 1st, 2009 // Little, Brown - Amazon | Indiebound)
Samara Taylor used to believe in miracles. She used to believe in a lot of things. As a pastor's kid, it's hard not to buy in to the idea of the perfect family, a loving God, and amazing grace. But lately, Sam has a lot of reason to doubt. Her mother lands in rehab after a DUI and her father seems more interested in his congregation than his family. When a young girl in her small town is kidnapped, the local tragedy overlaps with Sam's personal one, and the already-worn thread of faith holding her together begins to unravel.

Steph: I gotta say, I'm not big on religious inner conflict, but I have a feeling Sara Zarr can make me enjoy it. I also love the title--I wonder if it alludes to the 'once' of the past or innocence. We'll see.


How It Ends by Laura Wiess
(August 4th, 2009 // MTV/Pocket Books - Amazon | Indiebound)
Lenore asked Laura what the book is about (as there is no description anywhere), and here's a portion of it:

How It Ends grew out of some haunting, unanswered questions and two completely separate, very disturbing images I've had tucked away in the back of my mind for years. The unanswered questions were born as a result of several people who were dear to me passing away and me realizing -- after it was too late, of course -- that there were so many things I'd never asked them, stories only they knew that I should have taken the time to listen to and mostly, odd fragments of info discovered after their deaths that couldn't be resolved and will now always remain mysteries.

You can find the rest on Lenore's blog by clicking here.

Steph says: Ooo!

--

I'm one of those people who love sad-sounding stories because they often resonate with me. And I know I can't be the only one. Who's with me?

16 comments:

Alea said...

Ok I'm about to leave and I can't read it yet. BUT THANK YOU FOR BRINGING IT BACK. I've always loved this feature of yours!

Liv said...

Ooh I'm bookmarking this post. All of those titles look great. :)

Amee said...

I love this feature. You have to feature some happy books sometime though!

Summer said...

I like sad stories

soundistheword3 said...

I hadn't seen this feature before (guess I started following too recently), but I love it. Positively is completely new to me, and it looks incredbily interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Alea said...

Ok ok ok, I know I'm starting to embrace "sad" books but don't forget some happy books. I' with Amee!

zac said...

i'm not big on religious plots either. but i LOVE Sara Zarr's other books, so i'll read it anyway.

BookChic said...

I'm looking forward to Once Was Lost, Jumping Off Swings, and Positively. I just got a copy of How It Ends this past week. It looks very good! :)

I love this feature!

Sadako said...

Positively looks really interesting. Haven't read many..well, ANY, book from the POV of one who has HIV.

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I can't wait to read Sara Zarr's new one. All the rest sound good, you should keep this feature (and I think I must be a more newer follower too because I don't remember this).

Lenore said...

A good cry is sometimes so necessary. In any case I am a fan of anything that makes me FEEL something.

Thao said...

I'm with you!

Bookworm said...

Oooh. Thanks for notifying me that Courtney Sheinmel wrote a new book! I loved her "My So-Called Family", so you can bet on her new one being amazing, too. (:

harmonybookreviews said...

I'm so with you. These all look good and the covers are amazing (I'm a cover whore). Like Lenore, I adore anything that makes me feel something.

courtneywrites said...

Thanks for including Positively! What an amazing list -- I'm proud to be in such company.

I just updated my website, so now the flap copy for the book is up there (a bit too long for me to duplicate here), but let me know if you want me to email it to you. Hope all is well with you! Best, Courtney

Chelsie said...

After: I have been seeing this book everywhere lately, and it looks good. I'll have to read it.

Jumping Off Swings: Seems interesting, I wonder if I would enjoy this more than I enjoyed Lessons From a Dead Girl? It might be a book I'll have to check out.

Once Was Lost: I love you for posting this because I didn't know that there was a new Sara Zarr book coming out, and I know I'll love it just cause it's Sara Zarr :)

How It Ends: I love Laura Wiess and I'm really excited to see how this one is :)

And I am so with you... I love sad sounding stories. Sometimes I am just in the mood to read a depressing book...

<3 Chelsie

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph