Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ai ai ai

Hey all,

I wasn't around this weekend and when I got back, I heard something not-quite-so-good that happened on Kristi's blog and involved me and a couple of authors, apparently. You won't find it up anymore because Kristi removed them (mostly anon commenters bashing other people? I can very clearly see why she'd do that), and neither could I, so I don't have the full story. All I know is--

One of the criticisms directed at me was of my vlog. For those who didn't watch it, I got on camera and set up a little scenario where I took Courtney Summers's debut novel, Cracked Up To Be, and took it hostage until Courtney she lets read her next book, Some Girls Are. It was a joke, and I though most people got that, except now I see they didn't because this commenter was appalled at how I was "demanding a book" and how they were "appalled" Courtney found it funny.

Guys? Courtney and I email a lot. We converse. This isn't out of the blue, and it's not me demanding a book--it is a long-running joke I have with Courtney since she's in what seems interminable revisions and all I want is another Summers book. I was struggling to make my vlog a bit, as Courtney would put it, ~*sparkly*~, so I threw that storyline in there. I wouldn't do it with (m)any other authors, but I knew Courtney would probably be amused.

In fact, we're doing something very ~*sparkly*~ with Some Girls Are, which you'll see when the time comes, but yeah: That's why the subject comes up all the time between us. It's just a ritual. I bug her about her book, she goes ALL CAPS on me, and we talk about shiny objects.

Anyway, I can't believe we're arguing semantics over a vlog where a stuffed turkey grinded with a book. I wish people would get the full story. The worst thing about this is that it was an anonymous commenter, so I can't even email them. Please get your facts straight before you go bad-mouthing someone, especially if you don't sign your name by it.

20 comments:

Amy said...

Everyone just needs to relax and mind their own business!!!! See you soon, sparkly one. :)

Taren said...

You mean that turkey didn't REALLY sexually assault that book and the whole video was just a joke? Well now I'm just dumbfounded. Here I was thinking that you were threatening sexual assault on a book if you didn't get your big bad greedy way and now you tell me that it was a JOKE and you weren't really trying to be a jerk, demanding a book?! If this was a movie I'd demand my money back.

Emily Ruth said...

aha that's hilarious :)

Alea said...

It seems like all the *%@# goes down the second you leave your computer doesn't it lol! That happened to me one weekend too, came home and went ohhhh nooooossss!

ReaderRabbit said...

Haha. Wow. That's crazy!

courtney said...

I *was* here all weekend and I missed that.

I don't know what else I could add to this that you haven't already said well yourself, Steph...

I am sorry that I've appalled someone. Although I do see how it's sort of appalling that I laughed at the vlog... my book is clearly crying out for my help and all I can do is go, "Lulz! Look what that turkey did to my book! Ha ha ha! *watches again*" PROBABLY the appropriate author reponse is to go, "I'll save you, my book! HANG ON! I'M COMINGGG!"

:)

The SGA thing IS a long-standing joke between Steph and I, and as she said, we have some ~*sparkly*~ plans for it in the future. I really hope you'll tune in when that time comes, anonymous.

(PS: I'm done my revisions, world! Yay!)

sweetmelissa818 said...

Taren! That is by far the most eloquently put response! I had read Kristi's entire post and as soon as it turned to pointing fingers and name calling I quit paying attention. They weren't even saying anything worthy of a response, just accusations about who pushed who on the playground! I gave up, I'm too old for this!

zac said...

sounds crazy!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

After reading so many comments about ARCs a few weeks ago - I quit tuning in to a lot of the discussions now. I thought the vlog was pretty hilarious and I hope to see more random ones soon!

And whoot to revisions being done Courtney!

Amee said...

I want more vlogs too! You're pretty to look at, so in a way, you yourself are a shiny thing. ;)

Also, I wouldn't worry about this. Short of putting a disclaimer in your vlog that you are in fact joking, what else can you do? Right?

Jessica Kennedy said...

I'm sorry you had a negative response from other viewers of your vlog. I thought it was amazing. I can't see myself making any sort of video but you did and it made it very original. Kudos to you.

I just think the ones who didn't like it were jealous. Either of your superior creativity or your relationship with the author. Both are great assets and worthy of greedy envy but not so much as to bash you because of it.

Hope to see more vlogs in the future! You have a great camera presence!

BookChic said...

I find it weird that someone found the fact that Courtney the author thought the vlog was funny, appalling. If the person in question finds it funny, then shouldn't it not matter what was happening in the vlog/skit/whatever and whether or not it was appalling or demanding?

I knew you were joking and thought it was hilarious. If someone couldn't see that, then they are quite honestly extremely stupid.

At least now I know why all the comments were gone, lol. I was going back to see if anyone had replied to my comment and everything was gone. :( I was so sad.

Lenore said...

Where is the retrospective?

nikki said...

Holy smokes! Stupid drama. I didn't see the vlog, but it sounds hysterical to me!

Belle said...

One of my biggest discoveries when I started blogging was that a lot of people don't get humor (my humor, anyway!). You just keep on with your vlogging - it sounds like you set up a funny storyline.

Lincy said...

I hope the vlog goes back up for those of us who missed it! Sounds like my kind of humor...

Steph said...

That's why I moderate comments... I get worried about that type of thing. I suppose the more people read your blog, the more there will be people who want to say bad things. Hope the vlog goes back up :-)

Oh, and head here: http://heyteenager.blogspot.com/2009/05/peoples-choice-ya-book-blog-awards.html

Alexa Young said...

There's just no way around it. When you express your thoughts in blog form (or even in person, frankly), people are going to make assumptions about who you are, what you think, why you do what you do, and on and on and on. It would be nice to be given the benefit of the doubt, but that's not always in the cards. Plus, sometimes you weed out the people who aren't right for you/worth your time. So, you know, maybe it's all for the best.

Ashley said...

Man, I can't stand when people get all mean and rude on your comments...and don't even leave their name or anything!

Anonymous said...

(LIKE THIS!)

I AM A MEAN ANON COMMENTER.

:)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph