Sunday, April 26, 2009

Steph Doing the Trisha

Trisha's Is Your Book For Me quiz.

Steph's altered-version-of-the-same-principle-in-which-I-only-talk-about-weird-reading-quirks-I-have:

* Please note this is not a check list to What Makes Me Like a Book. Just stuff I've seen once or twice that appealed to me and that I'd like to see more of if I could, but in no way means it's all I want to see. In fact, if it was all I saw, I'd probably not like it. Moderation, grasshopper.

** A SMALL INTERRUPTION **
If you can recommend books that fit any of the criteria below, you get a lollipop.
  • Third person narration in a first person narrative where we don't know who the first person narrator is. Not my favorite book ever but it's an example that comes to mind: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.
  • Androgynous voices. Or genderless voices.
  • Serial killer/psychopath characters among normal people, all well developed. (In contrast I HATE books where there's some twisted mind who's entirely gratuitous and flat and ugh.
  • Theater books. (Like Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson or My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger.)
  • Theater fairy books. (I have like two around here somewhere. Wondrous Strange and Eyes Like Stars.)
  • Straight-from-the-headlines fiction.
  • Teacher/relationship fiction.
  • Fantasy set in a medieval kingdom. (I LOVE THIS. Graceling by Kristin Cashore's setting = love!)
  • Killer unicorns.
  • Religious nonfiction.
  • Characters with a penchant for the word 'fuck', but not at Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist level.
  • Historical fiction. Really excellent, thoroughly researched historical fiction, especially about little-known periods, a la Christine Fletcher and Ten Cents a Dance.
  • Feminist undertones. Strong female characters.
  • I like reading light teen romances, so I'll put this in here for good measure: Books without a love interest. (Ex: Braless in Wonderland by Debbie Reed Fischer.)
  • For more good measure: (copying from Trisha's) A romance for older teens with a happy-for-now ending, no romance-(and-breakup)-as-part-of-coming-of-age or gee-I-finally-decided-twenty-pages-from-the-end-that-the-guy-I-was-crushing-on-is-a-jerk-and-I-actually-really-like-that-other-guy?
  • Experimental and/or stylized narratives. Like with no quotation marks, or whatever else. I've never really seen a lot of this thing so I don't have much to go on except that I would like to see more of it.
  • I'd love to read more books solely about friendship and its bounds and limits and extreme situations. I'd love a recommendation for a book like this.
And...! I think that's it. I'll add more when I think of it. What is everyone else's?

19 comments:

deltay said...

Ooh, lollipops hmm? Yum ;)

-Serial killer/psychopath characters among normal people, all well developed: Try Graham McNamee's Acceleration.

-Fantasy set in a medieval kingdom: Nancy Springer's I Am Morgan Le Fay (although it might be spelled "Fey") is really good. Morgan, feys, sorcerers, set in Camelot. Brilliance.

Hmm, there was this really good historical novel I read awhile ago, but the title seems to escape me a.t.m. :(

Lisa Mantchev said...

Inspired, twisty wordplay with Super Sense Of Fun: Flora Segunda (Ysabeau Wilce) and The Looking Glass Wars (Frank Beddor.)

Catt said...

Oooh, Dramarama by E. Lockhart is a good theater book.

Sarah said...

How about Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. More Middle school/early high school appropriate I suppose but it has kingdoms, special powers, medieval type setting. Princesses!

~THE OPTIMISTIC PESSIMIST ~ said...

Ohhh a lollipop..
Serial killer/psychopath characters among normal people: I have to say I am addited to the Dexters. My cat is named Dearly Devoted Dexter.


A romance for older teens : Jessica's Guide To Dating on the Dark Side. I loved the strong female lead and her quirky parents.. A vegan vamp too damn funny.

And for the Best use of the F* bomb.. JR Wards The Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

Elizabeth said...

I agree with the "happy for now" thing. I'm always annoyed in teen romances when we're supposed to suddenly believe that the characters will be together forever, because it's like they're saying it was only worth it if it lasts forever, which...no. (Harry Potter epilogue, I'm looking at you.)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, and on friendship and its limits: I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but for some reason Lois Lowry's Rabble Starkey just came to mind.

Genevieve said...

Theater books: I can't imagine you wouldn't have read it, since "My Most Excellent Year" sounds totally similar, but I *died* laughing when I listened to "How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship, and Musical Theater" by Marc Acito. Jeff Woodman reads it, and he is SO GOOD. I'm normally not a huge audio-book fan, but Woodman nails it. I'm sure reading the book would be equally enjoyable, though.

Jen said...

Tamora Pierce's books have Feminist undertones. They also are fantasy in a medieval-type kingdom!

Also Meg Cabot has lovely lighthearted teen romances.

Jen said...

"mance for older teens with a happy-for-now ending, no romance-(and-breakup)-as-part-of-coming-of-age or gee-I-finally-decided-twenty-pages-from-the-end-that-the-guy-I-was-crushing-on-is-a-jerk-and-I-actually-really-like-that-other-guy?"

How about Carolyn Mackler's Vegan Virgin Valentine. Plus more pairs break ups are mentioned in another of her books. (She likes to mention her other characters in passing)

Lyndale Press said...

Hi Steph - I learned of your blog through "Read Roger"'s blog - loved your "where are we with blogging?" post. Very interesting, esp. since I do some reviews at my blog and didn't know about the issues that you brought up.

I loved the unique dialogue style in "The Road" - you probably won't like the book if you don't like apocalyptic literature, but check out my post on the book for an example of the dialogue:

http://lyndalepress.wordpress.com/2009/03/01/this-weekends-read-the-road/

Readingjunky said...

Teacher/relationship books:
PREY by Lurlene McDaniel
A SEASON OF EDEN by J.M. Warwick
TEACH ME by R.A. Nelson

Rebecca Herman said...

I'll try for some suggestions! Hopefully at least some will be ones you haven't read and will enjoy:

Fantasy set in a medieval kingdom:
An Earthly Knight by Janet McNaughton (This is kind of a hybrid historical/fiction fantasy, it's set in the real medieval Scotland but there are fairies!)
Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn
Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

Historical fiction:
Pretty much anything Carolyn Meyer has written in the last 10 years. I think her two most recent were Duchessina and In Mozart's Shadow.
Angel on the Square by Gloria Whelan
At the Sign of the Sugared Plum and Petals in the Ashes by Mary Hooper
No Shame No Fear by Ann Turnbull

Anonymous said...

Hey I love your blog. I wouldn't have read the Gemma Doyle series had it not been for your recommendation - I noticed that you like a lot of the same books I like, so I figured I'd take the leap and pick up A Great and Terrible Beauty (and subsequent novels in the series). Thanks.

Fantasy set in a medieval kingdom: Anything written by Tamora Pierce. She's got several different series that all sort of have to do with eachother.

Feminist undertones. Strong female characters: Eon, The Hunger Games, Magic Bites, Magic Burns and Magic Strikes.

And I thought I would mention the Wicked Lovely series. Although I'm not sure if I love Wicked Lovely or if I love the audio book (the way it was read or whatever).

Bookworm said...

If I ever write a book, Steph, I will make sure to include all of the above so I get a good review on your blog. BUT IT BETTER BE AN A+! LOL.

Diana Peterfreund said...

Third person narration in a first person narrative where we don't know who the first person narrator is. Not my favorite book ever but it's an example that comes to mind: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.This is called "omniscient narrators." They are more common in Middle Grade than YA for some reason (like Lemony Snicket, whose identity you know, but it's still the same idea, or any of the Narnia books). I'm writing one now, but it's not YA nor is it contracted, so we'll see if anyone can ever read it. ;-)

I second (third) the rec of Tamora Pierce for otherworld fantasy.

For "friendship has its limits" have you tried Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell? I just finished it today and it's great!

And stay tuned this fall for LIAR by Justine Larbalestier which as a very cool experimental vibe. Can't really say more without giving it away, but it's not like anything else out there in YA right now.

And maybe it's me, but I feel like most YA romance has a "for now" kind of feeling to me. Maybe I'm wrong or am just reading into it.

Amee said...

I know several books with the no quotation thing. None are YA however. But if you're still interested, let me know. ;)

Trisha (yes, that Trisha) said...

Historical fiction + feminist undertones. You must read A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. Must, must, must.

Experimental/stylized narratives. What about Damage by A. M. Jenkins? It's written in the second person. It made me cry. And I think Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier is written without quotation marks?

Theater. Dramarama by E. Lockhart.

Medieval fantasy. (Okay, medieval-ish.) On Fortune's Wheel by Cynthia Voigt. An oldie but goodie. I first read it back when I was in middle school. But it's still really good!

Meredith said...

Fantasy set in a medieval kingdom: The Faerie Path series by: Frewin Jones. They are quite good!

~Meredith

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph