Saturday, April 25, 2009

I can't resist: After by Amy Efaw

This book won't be released till August but I can't resist the urge to talk about it now anyway because I really liked it.

Who would leave their own baby in the trash to die?

Certainly not someone like Devon--a straight-A student, soccer player with Olympic dreams, more mature than her own mother. But desparation and panic drover her to do what most people can't even imagine. Now Devon's in a juvenile detention center, charged with attempted murder. If she's tried as an adult, she faces life in prison.

Does Devon deserve that punishment? Your answer depends on whether you believe her story--that she didn't even know she was pregnant. Was she buried in a denial so deep that she was unable to register the seemingly obvious signs of pregnancy? Or were her actions the result of a more devious, premeditated plan?

Here's part of what I wrote on GoodReads about it (and follow that link if you want to know how it begins):

The book chronicles what happened before and after [the dumping of her baby] -- some flashbacks explaining how Devon, this super devoted, serious student and ├╝ber talented soccer player, who vowed never to take part in any sexual activity, became pregnant and came to throw her baby away, and the court process. It's a truly compelling read. What I truly loved is that it doesn't get overbearing or try to justify the crime itself, but rather explains how Devon - or any girl, really - might get there. There wasn't any condescending or overly sympathetic tone in the narrative, no interruption from the author, absolutely nothing--very straightforward.

There's a book site at http://after-book.com. I'll review it properly later, but for now, this is your introduction. :)

14 comments:

Summer said...

Ooo that sounds like something to get excited about!

Taren said...

You're right, it sounds very compelling. I can't wait to read it.

Amanda said...

This sounds VERY good. I can't wait to read it!

Amee said...

It sounds good. Although since you told me it was like a Jodi Picoult, I'm thinking no way.

towerofbooks said...

Wow! This sounds like a powerful book!

harmonybookreviews said...

I've never heard of this before but it looks powerful and compelling and oohh... I want it. :) Definitely going on my wishlist.

Shalonda said...

I am so glad to hear that someone's already read this. I found the link to the website through Penguin Teen on Twitter.

I can't wait to read your review--better yet, I can't wait to read this book!

Thao said...

I'm really looking forward to read this one. Just found out about this a few days ago at The Story Siren.

Lisa Schroeder said...

Hadn't heard of this until now and I can't WAIT to read it!!!!

katayoun said...

wow, i love the cover. and from your glowing review half of me wants to read this, the other is so scared to the hard and sad subject that it covers

Cinnamon said...

This looks fascinating, but I don't know if I'd be able to read it! I look forward to your review. Having delivered my own child, it's hard to not get judgemental and I know I wouldn't want to. There are always two sides to every story - the trick is getting up the courage to hear both.

Abby said...

Steph, thanks for posting this! I'm reading it now and I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN. (And I agree that it reminds me of Jodi Picoult!)

Laina said...

I put this in my Waiting On Wednesday post. :) http://lainahastoomuchsparetime.blogspot.com/2009/05/waiting-on-wednesday-6.html In case you're interested. I linked back to you 'cause I borrowed your summary, being too braindead to go searching for one.

Erica said...

I can't wait til August, It sounds really good!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph