Wednesday, March 25, 2009

YA in the News

The Daily Beast: 'The Next Twilight?' Talking about Gayle Forman's If I Stay, a novel that's already somewhere along the process of going to the big screen (Catherine Hardwicke, the director of Twilight, has been assigned to direct), though it only hits shelves April 2nd. I was actually quoted for this article (pages 2 and 3), but I'd call it more of a misquote because the paragraph in question implies that I think adults reading YA are creepy, when it's the exact opposite: I want every single adult ever to read YA. I just find TwiMoms who're, like, living in function of Edward Cullen and obsessed with his very word choice and depressed their lives are not complete because they don't sparkle, are creepy. In fact, I would say that if you don't find them creepy, you are similarly creepy.

But, people who've read this and are adults and enjoy YA and read my blog and were put off by that? Don't be. I think you rock. Don't think I'm dissing you cos I'm not cos, like I said, you are - as we teens so eloquently put it - the shit.

15 comments:

Reverie said...

well said!!!

Iryna said...

I agree with you - TwiMoms are creepy 80% of the time. You should see the stuff some of them made on etsy.com! Not that I checked . . .

Ronni said...

YAY I'm the shit! :) LOL. I'm an adult and I read YA almost exclusively. You can go see my blog if you want to see how old I actually am. ;) But seriously, YA is awesome. And I'm an aspiring author, so many YA authors are my friends. It's a good thing. :)

Ali said...

Interesting article! I've often wondered what teen bloggers think of us old farts reading and reviewing YA books. I also wonder if it bugs the teens I know that we've all suddenly discovered Facebook, but that would be a whole other article.

Reader Rabbit said...

Haha, great article.
And the Twi-Moms are creepy...
I do not want to hear about a 50 year old's great lust for Edward.
I'm sorry.
BUT NO

Adele said...

I was correctly quoted in that article but my description as a nameless "... one adult YA blogger" didn't seem to be supporting the point that YA is for all. Sigh.

Bookworm said...

Ooooh you're famous! And you're from Brazil. Which is really cool.

Laura said...

I'm glad I'm not a Twi-mom, As much as I did like the series (with the exception of the 4th book), I found Edward to be a bit stifling at times.

But I really think YA books rock, and "If I Stay" was an amazing book! I cried like a baby... So If I see the movie, I'll need a ton of tissues (if Hardwicke treats it right)

nikki said...

Count me in as another adult (almost 32...yikes!) who likes YA, though I don't read it exclusively. I found Twilight to be generally crap.

Gerb said...

Ha! I'm the shit! First time I've ever been tickled to hear that. : )

Kimberly Derting said...

You're in good company, my editor, Farrin Jacobs, is quoted too! Nice article, Steph!! ;)

Michelle Zink said...

We ARE the shit.
:D

And if you are a TwiMom who is currently staring at a Pattinson poster on your bedroom wall (or which you were) you are, indeed, far beyond creepy. Then again, I don't like seeing forty-something moms walking around in pink track suits with the words "JUICY" across their ass, either.

But that's just me.

Niin. said...

Dude. Sao Paolo?

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I saw that article too and thought it was so cool bloggers I read were quoted!

And I too want adults to read YA, but when they become more obessed about the characters than the teens, then I think it's too much!

Just Blinded Book Reviews said...

Ok, I haven't read it yet but it sounds amazing, and Catherine Hardwicke is bound to butcher like she did with Twilight. I will kill myself if directs this and Maximum Ride.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph