Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (11)

Waiting on Wednesday was created by the fantabulous (and I scarcely use that word) (seriously, you can check) Jill over at Breaking the Spine. It's a community book lusting effort.

Anyhoo, my choice for this week is:

Paris Pan Takes the Dare by Cynthea Liu

Twelve-year-old Paris Pan’s life is a mess. She’s just moved to a tiny town in Nowheresville, Oklahoma; her family life is a comical disaster; her new friends are more like frenemies; and the boy she has a crush on is a dork. Things couldn’t possibly get worse, until she discovers that a girl mysteriously died years ago while taking a seventh-grade rite of passage–the Dare– right near Paris’s new house. So when Paris starts hearing strange noises coming from the creepy run-down shed in her backyard, she thinks they could be a message from the ghost of a girl. But while she has no plans to make contact with the great beyond, her two new friends have other thoughts. Everyone who’s anyone takes the Dare, and now it’s Paris’s turn.

[More info here.]

The cover is what did me in: so simple yet super eye-catching. I must admit, I'm a reluctant MG reader (cause: over-reliance in dirty minded conventions which often find no room in MG), but I would totally bump this one up to next thing on Mt Kill-Steph.

I mean, seriously, don't you just love?

(For the record, I don't censor my comments at all, with the exception of the occasional spam bots because my blog is not a dump. [Depending on who you ask.] But if you don't like it, don't tell me please. Happy thoughts only for this post! This book is my new pet until there comes a time when it's not, such as if I read it and don't like it. *knocks on wood* That would be most distressing. OMG! That cannot happen!)

Anyway,
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Previous Waiting on Wednesday posts.

8 comments:

Adele said...

I not so into the title but the premise and the protag's name have peaked my interest.

cindy said...

i can't wait to read this! cynthea is amazing and i know her book will be too!

stargirlreads said...

this one looks alright

Amee said...

I love the cover. I think I love the little puppy most!

Darling Diva said...

This book looks so cute. I will have to look into it. Thank you, for adding another book to my TBR pile.

Bookworm said...

It looks adorable! I have an ARC of Cynthea's SASS book, The Great call of China coming out in Feb. 09, and it looks great. Steph--if you haven't read that series yet than you NEED TO! ASAP!

cynthea said...

I love it, too. But I might be a little biased. :) Thanks for sharing the cover love - Cynthea Liu, author of PARIS PAN TAKES THE DARE

falakk said...

Hey, just started reading this blog a few months ago and am going through some of the archives so I can jot down the names of all the ace books and then order them from the library. :)

I like to read silently but I decided to comment because I have NO idea what an MG book is. I know YA is Young Adult, but MG? A little stuck. Can you please explain? Thank you!

Falak

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph