Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lord of Misrule by Rachel Caine

It’s been a while since I was last able to summarize Morganville books on their own as the storyline is—despite the novels’ small size—quite complex. So, referring to the publisher:

In the college town of Morganville, vampires and humans coexist in (relatively) bloodless harmony. Then comes Bishop, the master vampire who threatens to abolish all order, revive the forces of the evil dead, and let chaos rule. But Bishop isn’t the only threat.

Violent black cyclone clouds hover, promising a storm of devastating proportions as student Claire Danvers and her friends prepare to defend Morganville against elements both natural and unnatural.

Well, that’s…vague. But onward we go.

(This is more of a review on the entire series because it’s one continuous story and I can’t find a way to talk about Lord of Misrule without bringing up the other books.

First off, there is absolutely no way to follow these books without reading all of them, in their proper order. There’s a handy prologue at the front that serves as a synopsis and can give you the knowledge you need to make sense of all that happens, but it’s very cut-and-dry and basic and not at all as thrilling as reading the books proper. (Part of me wants to put a, Well, obviously, here. The other wishes I’d move on with it.)

I marvel at Rachel Caine’s ability to consistently make each new book as good and readable as its predecessor. These books come out at about two a year, which is a hell of a lot more frequent than most other series, and she still somehow manages to keep things interesting. She’s got plotting down to a pat.

Which gets me going about how there’s been a lot of complaining as of late about all the vampire romanticizing and how the fangs need to be brought back out and there needs to be an actual plot, not just “oooo you represent forbidden love, faint”: Morganville’s got it. There’s romance, sure, but it’s conflicted, and even if it weren’t, there are more than enough psycho vampires running about for the romance to be *rolls eyes*. The vampire lore in particular is fantastic and brings much innovation to the table.

The thing I love the most about the Morganville series is that they end up being relatively short—mass market paperback, no bigger than 250-ish pages—but they’re substantial quick-reads. (And the fact they’re cheap!)

Lord of Misrule keeps everything true to the tradition of these books. I actually thought there were tender and tenser moments here than before, but I really can’t talk about that without ruining the books.

There were six books under contract until awhile ago when three more sold which = awesome. They’re doing very well, and I couldn’t be happier. Hands down, the best vampire series in the YA shelves.

And you know what? You should totally pick up a copy of these books because they're only like $6 apiece. Links below. B+

NAL Jam (Penguin) | 256 pages | January 6th, 2009 (today!) | Author Site

Previously in the series:
Glass Houses, The Dead Girls' Dance, Midnight Alley, Feast of Fools and Lord of Misrule.

Further: read my interview with Rachel Caine.

11 comments:

Carol(ina) said...

I love this series! I am finding Lord of Misrule much more interesting than Feast of Fools since there's more action and suspense (at least in the middle beginning). But I am happy that there will be more books in the series! :)

Great review, BTW.

Alea said...

Getting all Alea shallow here.... this is the prettiest of the covers!

Steph said...

Yeah, and Shane is HOT. I told Rachel I would heartily volunteer to straddle that model in any action shots they wanted to get for future covers. I look absolutely nothing like Claire, but whatever. :)

Steph

Alea said...

Hahahahah! I love how vibrant the colors always are!

Lenore said...

Wow - I don't know if I can commit to getting the first four in the series to just read a review copy of this one. Will I be completely lost?

Amee said...

I can't wait to read this series! I'll have to do that soon.

By the way, I love the whole "publisher | page numbers | etc. thing. Very neat. :)

sharonanne said...

I gave you a butterfly award for being suck a kick butt female.

Liviania said...

I actually like the Feast of Fools cover better, but this one is pretty.

Reader Rabbit said...

I've been waiting for this book...for HOW LONG?
Okay. A few months.
Thanks for making me want it even more XP
Great review ;)

Just Listen said...

I finsihed the first one just the other day and I LOVED it. I can't wait for the rest of the series.

Hez said...

Hey! Just read your review very good. I have just read carpe Corpus And its really good but such a good ending i cant help but think there will be a large amount of loss in the next few books, i can't imagine this is going to be a completely happy ending. I was just curious though about the girls on the front of the books who are they all?

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph