Monday, January 26, 2009

It Just Occurred To Me...

...that one of the reasons I really liked Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers is that for a while, it felt like it was Alaska from Looking for Alaska by John Green narrating. Like, there were major differences and all, but Parker was the deeply unhappy, alcohol-ridden teenager hiding some dark secret. Even when she was bitchy, there were still people who stuck by her. It's clear they're the same person, but it was cool to draw the parallel if only because Alaska is still such a mystery to everyone. If you like John Green's novel and haven't read this one, give it a chance and see what you think. ;)

5 comments:

Alea said...

I'm the other way around, I liked this and still need to read Looking For Alaska. Speaking of people that remind me of Parker, I was watching Veronica Mars last night who has a very similar attitude! Love it!

BookChic said...

Ooo, I'm getting ready to start Cracked Up to Be in just a few minutes.

And I may go ahead and get LFA on CD from the library today (and maybe Katherines as well, lol).

H said...

I haven't read either! But I really want to read Cracked up to be

WannabeWriter said...

How true! I didn't notice that before, Parker was something of an Alaska. Good call. :]

Melissa Walker said...

I loved this one, too. Didn't think of that narration thing, but you're right!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph