Saturday, January 10, 2009

Forever Princess by Meg Cabot

** no spoilers :) **

OMG I read one more Princess Diaries book! I know. I haven’t done that in…oh god, how long has it been? Since Mia’s 10,000th “my boobs are too small!” grouse? That was sometime in the middle of the sixth book, methinks… Yeah, sounds about right.

Mia’s almost finished with her senior year in high school and all these things that have been left in the air for the past two years are coming to a steadfast conclusion, all in the same week. Genovia is having elections for the first time ever and her father is threatening to lose to her cousin René, who plans to open the country to the international market. Her romance novel—sent out under a pseudonym—is getting rejected everywhere. College acceptance letters are coming in by the bucketful, but which schools granted them meritoriously? Grandmére is driving Mia up a wall with her eighteenth birthday celebration. Prom’s rolling around and everyone wants Mia to go, including her promise-ringed boyfriend J.P., but for some reason she can’t muster any excitement for it.

And to top it all off? Michael’s back from Japan. Mia’s all: I can’t even deal so let’s not get into that, okay?

I don’t believe there was a single boob bellyache in here! Mia transformed so much and I’m loving her new maturity. I also really loved how each of characters is well-resonated and comes alive to me. This—in my opinion—is Meg’s best effort in that regard in awhile. I could get a sense of them and they in turn made the book the joy it was to read.

What I appreciated the most was how much Meg imprinted herself onto this novel. The romance novel Mia wrote screams of Meg’s first foray into publishing all those years back. While she definitely took a poetic license in simplifying the process for Mia, I loved how personal the entire thing felt. It gave this novel an extra oomph.

And…yeah. *sighs* You know, I could sit here and nitpick some of the finer points and the likes, but really, none of them hindered my enjoyment of the novel. I stayed up till 5am reading and I felt totally giddy and happy and maybe even inspired once I finished. When all is said and done, that’s what matters, isn’t it? B.

Oh and pfft, as if this is the last volume. Meg’s ambivalent attitude when asked about this assure me Mia will be back for more. I just pray we get some *heh* sex scenes then!

HarperTeen | 383 pages | January 6th, 2008 | Author Site | Excerpt & Extras | GoodReads | Amazon

10 comments:

Amee said...

Yay! I just finished today too. I loved it, probably a little more than you. I've been reading loyally for years!

And Book Chic reminded me that Meg has said writing Mia sex scenes would be like writing about a family members sexual exploits, and she isn't comfortable doing that. Bummer, huh?

LisaMay said...

I remember starting to read this series when the movie came out! Good to know its still going strong :)

http://lookatthatbook.blogspot.com

Bookworm said...

The third book had me so completely bored that I never bothered to pick up the 4th, but I'm slowly changing my mind. Great review---now I really want to keep reading the series!

BookChic said...

Aw yay! Great review! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

And Amee said what I was gonna say, lol.

robin_titan said...

I LOVE the princess diaries series they're soo funny!

Reader Rabbit said...

Spoiler right there, Teph :) No sex scenes is PD10 haha.

Gr. I want to read this soooo bad.

I hate the mail.

Megan said...

Hey, this is the only way I could think to contact you. the posts are going up on the blog but they aren't visible unless highlighted. It would be great if you could help.

Vicky said...

AH! I love Meg. I finished this like a week ago (I accidentally got my cop yearly). It was so fabuloso! The best one yet!

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I loved how Mia matured in this novel. It had a different feel than the others in the series, which I liked. After the third book, I thought they all seemed the same. This one made me smile with girly happiness!

writemeg said...

I looooved this one -- and I also stayed up ridiculously late to finish it. I certainly hope Meg changes her mind and expounds on the series... definitely want to see some more Michael, especially now that's -- sigh -- 21, rich and buff! Yowzah! :)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph