Tuesday, January 20, 2009

3 Willows: The Sisterhood Grows by Ann Brashares

This is a sort of antithesis to the original sisterhood—instead of finding a means of staying connected through their summers apart, here the girls’ friendships falter. Even though I’m kind of getting sick of hearing “sisterhood” and “Ann Brashares” in the same sentence, I gotta say, this book worked for me. The voice is quieter, more insightful than the original series, which I really enjoyed.

Okay, so, there are three girls: Ama, the overachiever trying to escape her genius older sister’s shadow; Jo, whose family life is deteriorating and who becomes consumed by a summer romance; and Polly, who tries to pursue modeling while her dysfunctional mother is never around. Theirs isn’t the same magical story as the four girls’ preceding them: there’s no birth ties, the mothers weren’t in any way close, and there’s no crutch (by which I mean an enchanted pair of pants) to thread them together through their time apart. Like I said: antithesis.

There were a couple more things I liked about this one. There narrative changes perspectives and therefore settings between the three girls frequently, but despite the constant shift, it flows well and uninterruptedly. While it takes awhile to be able to distinguish between the voices of each girl, it’s an effective structure in which to tell the story and I loved how accomplished it was.

The other thing is the tie-ins with the original characters and stories. They showed up and it was sweet to see how the stories fit together and yet are completely separate. (The reason I liked their cameos as much is because Bridget was kind of idolized and I loved her. :P)

So, yeah, I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Ann Brashares really impressed me. The original series still has a special spark in that it was fresh, whereas this one is familiar, but I think old fans would like it, too. The one true, conspicuous improvement is the design—3 Willows’s is all atmospheric and tranquil-like. :) B.

Delacorte | 336 pages | January 13th, 2009 | Author Site | GoodReads | Amazon

12 comments:

Thao said...

I watched this book trailer somewhere and couldn't stop thinking about it. Everything about it seems nice and cute, even the cover.

Steph said...

It really is. I was expecting the book to be a bust but was pleasantly surprised otherwise. I think Ann Brashares's writing got better.

Steph

Alea said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it! I agree with everything you said, it was a bit hard to tell them apart at first and then all of a sudden I could!

Now about that cover... :P

BookChic said...

I can't wait to read this book. It's in my TBR pile.

Great review!

Leigh said...

I can't wait to read this, it sounds better then I thought it would! Thanks for the review :)

stargirlreads said...

ah I wanna read this so bad.

Tempestt said...

I really want to read this book! Great review! :)

writemeg said...

Definitely want to read this -- very, very badly! But I'm forcing myself to not buy another book until I've gotten my TBR stack down by half. We'll see how that goes! Great review!

Amee said...

I see you didn't read my choice for you. lol

Anyway, I really need to read the original Sisterhood. Maybe by then this one will be in paperback and I can then read it. :)

mzink said...

I'm glad you reviewed this one. I really enjoyed the Sisterhood series, but I was a little skeptical about how well a spin-off would work.

Sound like this is worth a shot! Thanks for the review.

reader rabbit said...

Sounds good, I added it to my library reserve list.

Bookworm said...

I got this one in the mail--I liked the original, so I can't wait to begin!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph