Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Author Interview: Lurlene McDaniel

« Back to Table of Contents.

Lurlene McDaniel began writing about young adults when her son Sean was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at the age of 3. His illness changed the lives of everyone in her family forever. “I saw what life was like for someone who was chronically ill, and I experienced how it affected the dynamics of the family,” says McDaniel. She says she found that writing about the trauma and its effects was therapeutic. She has written over 40 novels about kids who face life-threatening illnesses. To find out more about her, visit her websites: http://lurlenemcdaniel.com/ (publisher website) and http://lurlenemcdaniel.net/ (personal website).

You’ve said that it was your son Sean’s illness that inspired you to begin writing. Could you outline your path to publication, from that initial point?

My path was pure blessing, luck, right place-right time. I wrote ad/pr copy on the side and one day met a woman at a photo shoot and we struck up a conversation. When she discovered I was a writer, she invited me to try my hand at a children's book because her father owned a publishing company---School Book Fairs (now Darby Press). They bought 23 books from me before I moved on to Bantam/Random House.

In researching for your books, have you come across something or someone who’s captivated you that you could share with us?

Letters from my readers usually captivate me with their stories of overcoming great odds and struggles to make the best out of what life hands them.

You’re known for your “crying and dying” books. How do you feel about that label?
I love the label. It was invented by librarians (I think) and it differentiates me from other YA writers.

Do you ever get emails asking for happier endings? Moreover, are you ever tempted to write more happily-ever-afters? (I know some of your books have more hopeful resolutions than others, but I can’t recall if I’d call any of them fairy tale-ish.)

No...readers tell me they like the endings because they reflect "real life." Some readers are disappointed when the boy/girl don't get together in an ending, however.

Your books have hit close to home for me as well as for friends of mine. Do you think the nature of your work causes people to be more personal in their fan letters? (I imagine you must get a lot of those!) Also, has any letter or email from a fan ever singularly touched you (more so than any others)?

Fan mail still arrives, but the Web is where today's teen resides. That's why I have four Web contact points. I don't depend on snail mail anymore. Many letters have touched me. I have a "keeper" file of my best letters and sometimes read from it when I do public speaking.

One of my favorite books of yours, Don’t Die, My Love, was turned into a Lifetime movie (under the name “Shattered Hearts”). What was the book-to-film experience like?

That book was sold and in movie form before I was informed it had been filmed. Certainly I was paid, but I had no input about content. I was a little disappointed in the (not mine) ending (so were fans!), but I was glad it made it onto the screen at all because so many books get "optioned", but never produced. I'd still like one to go to the big screen, though.

You’ve been in the business for a long time and you’ve got a lot of books under your belt. What has the experience been like, in the longevity of your career? How have things changed from the time you were first published to now?

Once again, longevity has been a major blessing. SIX MONTHS TO LIVE was first published in 1985, but it's still selling. Publishing today is harder than ever because the industry is in flux. Sales across the industry have fallen and no one quite knows how to fix it. Also the YA shelves are glutted with material and writers are fighting for shelf space. The YA rage now is fantasy, vampires, the supernatural. When I started with Bantam/Random House, the shelves were loaded with romance and horror. Styles change, but I will always write what I feel comfortable writing---teens handling life-altering events with a positive message about the wonder of living.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

Write for the sheer pleasure of writing. Keep journals. Get an education. Submit. Focus on story, voice, style, structure, not on "being published."

What are you working on now? How long does it typically take you to finish a book?

I'm working on HEART 2 HEART, a story about a heart transplant and human connections. My newest, BREATHLESS, will come out in May 2009. It takes 4-6 months for me to write a book---if I don't procrastinate too much.

Now, for the most important question of the hour: Does writing YA rock or what?

YA writing rocks!!! My agent and many readers have asked me to write for the adult market, but adults bore me. I love writing for teens and pre-teens.

-
Thanks, Lurlene!

-
Girl Week is a week-long event here on the blog celebrating strong YA heroines and feminism. Find out more about it here.

« Back to Table of Contents.

13 comments:

Amee said...

Great interview! I've only read one Lurlene book but have many others at yours and Taren's suggestions. I can't wait to read more!

carmen alexis said...

I love your books! The emotions that it inspires me is like nothing else. Great interview! =)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I can remember reading one of her books, and I thikn I have another on my shelf...my sister has read some too. It's great that she loves and still is writing for the YA market, and I'm happy that the ending are realistic. I don't like a ton of "non-realistic" novels. :)

Great interview!
-Lauren

Khy said...

I have read zero Lurlene books. But I have one here, that I will read eventually.

Fantabulous interview toooooo.

Shalonda said...

Oh, my goodness! Steph, you are the best!

I love Lurlene! When I was younger, I chose her books because they always touched my heart. I never really thought of them as "crying and dying", but more like books that made me realize that life is precious. And today, as a 26 year old woman, they still speak to me. If you are looking for a book that will move you, read one of Lurlene's.

If sad is not your thing, you can always read Prey and I heard Hit and Run is really good as well.

Taren said...

Love me some Lurlene -as you well know. I guess I'm probably the only fan who wouldn't mind more happy endings every once in awhile.

Alea said...

Oooh loved this! I have Prey to try out first!

Callista said...

Great interview thanks! As I said in the other post, I've read The Time Capsule and have Baby Alicia is Dying in my TBR list.

sammyjones57 said...

Great interview! And for some strange reason I have never read ONE of her books! But now I'm jotting down titles!

Carol(ina) said...

I have read a few of her books (about the teen girl who finds out she has leukemia) and I really liked them. I haven't read any of her books in a while though but I will start again, thanks to this awesome interview. :)

Sarahbear9789 said...

I love the books that I have read of hers.

Anonymous said...

klhgrs

Anonymous said...

I have to an author study for school in literature. i chose to do in on you. Can you give me some info on how you started writing and what ever you thing would be good to put in my report about you? thanks.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph