Friday, December 12, 2008

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me: FairestFaeries

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me was inspired by boredom inspired by history (which isn't inspired by anything) studying inspired by the then upcoming (now failed) midterm exams. They're these series of posts in which I talk about upcoming '09 YA releases because it pleases me to lust after books.

To see all of these posts, click here. Thematically speaking, we have so far:

The Historicals #1 #2
(historical YA fiction - from time travel, to scandalous societies, to retellings of English monarchs)

The "Spooky" Fantasy #1
(like, vampires, zombies, unicorns, demons, etc)

Cry, #1
(stories of abuse, self mutilation and death)

Laugh, #1
(humorous-seeming stories)

Heart, #1
(rooooooooomance)

Mix, #1
(eclectic!)

Ms Aprilynne Pike FINALLY made her cover public today. That was the only thing in the way of posting this edition - and now that it's no longer an obstacle, here you have it!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS of 2009
(Not endorsement. Just info.)

Wings by Aprilynne Pike (May 09)
Aprilynne Pike's Wings is the first of four books about an ordinary girl named Laurel who discovers she is a faerie sent among humans to guard the gateway to Avalon. When Laurel is thrust into the midst of a centuries-old battle between faeries and trolls, she's torn between a human and a faerie love, as well as her loyalties to each world. Coming from HarperTeen May 5, 2009!

Steph: I guess next thing on their list is getting a proper description up somewhere. *sigh* Slowly and surely. Anyway I still have absolutely no idea what actually happens in this except that it's a faerie and it's a romance and the cover is - to keep with the "ae" theme - aesthetically pleasing. Find out more at Aprilynne's website.

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr (April 09)
Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen.

Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined.

In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos.

http://melissa-marr.com/

Steph: I have Wicked Lovely here. Haven't read it yet! All in good time, my pretties, all in good time...

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (May 09)
Lisa Mantchev's debut YA trilogy about the Théâtre Illuminata, where real fairies fly on wires and pirates sail painted seas, and a foundling must take Center Stage so that the next curtain call won't be the last, to Jean Feiwel at Feiwel & Friends at auction by Ashley Grayson of Ashley Grayson Literary Agency. (NA)

Steph: Hey, Lisa?? DESCRIPTION??? Go bug her, y'all.





Fairy Lust by Cyn Balog (June 09)
Morgan Sparks and Cam Browne are a match made in heaven. They’ve been best friends since birth, they tell each other everything, and oh yeah- they’re totally hot for each other.

But a week before their joint Sweet Sixteen bash, everything changes. Cam’s awkward cousin Pip comes to stay, and Morgan is stunned when her formerly perfect boyfriend seems to be drifting away.

When Morgan demands answers, she’s shocked to discover the source of Cam’s distance isn’t another girl- it’s another world. Pip claims that Cam is a fairy. No, seriously. A fairy. And now his people want Cam to return to their world and take his rightful place as Fairy King.

Determined to keep Cam with her, Morgan plots to fool the fairies. But as Cam continues to change, she has to decide once and for all if he really is her destiny, and if their “perfect” love can weather an uncertain future.

http://cynbalog.com/

Steph: Well, that just about sums it up, eh?

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston (Dec 2008)
17 year-old Kelly Winslow doesn’t believe in Faeries. Not unless they’re the kind that you find in a theatre, spouting Shakespeare—the kind that Kelley so desperately wishes she could be: onstage, under lights, with a pair of sparkly wings strapped to her shoulders. But as the understudy in a two-bit, hopelessly off-off-Broadway production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, wishing is probably the closest she’s going to get to becoming a Faerie Queen. At least, that’s what shethinks... In this fun, urban fantasy, Kelly's off-stage life suddenly becomes as complicated as one of Shakespeare’s plot twists when a nighttime trip to Central Park holds more than meets the mortal eye.

Steph: Okay so not quite 2009, but close enough. Anyway, it's been a rollercoaster ride trying to get this book, right, Lesley? :) (We'll get there someday! We will, we will!) Well, it's getting rave reviews, including one at The Story Siren today, and the blurbs are also lovely.

Spell Hunter: Faery Rebels by RJ Anderson (April 09)
There are humans at the bottom of the garden, and a glimpse inside their forbidden House convinces the fierce young faery known as Knife that they have knowledge that could help her dying people.

But if the human world has so much to offer, why is the faery Queen determined to keep her people away from it? Is there a connection between the House and the faeries' loss of magic? And why is Knife so drawn to the young Paul McCormick — that strangest of creatures, a human male?

http://rj-anderson.com/

Steph: Last but not least fabulous. This one is getting released all over - New Zealand, Australia, the UK, the US and Canada. (The UK/AU/NZ cover is this one, by the way.) Random but I have a weird fetish with the wings on that girl. They're so pretty and translucent and...

Yeah, okay.

-

I'm out, guys. Hope you're all having an exquisite Friday!

19 comments:

Alea said...

OHooohHooohh! I don't think I've read a fairy book yet but I have Wicked Lovely to try etc. Wonderous Strange sounds interesting and has such a pretty cover!

Speed Reader said...

It seriously is the year of the faery, huh? I'm excited for ALL of those books as well. And you haven't read Wicked Lovely??? LOVED it!

WannabeWriter said...

I am in freakin' LOVE with faeries right now. Am looking forward to reading just about ALL of the books you listed, Wings & Wondrous Strange most especially. xD

Mrs. Magoo said...

The covers on some of these are gorgeous!

Lisa said...

I have the Spring catalog pages from Feiwel & Friends (WITH flap copy AND excerpt) up at my LiveJournal.

http://lisamantchev.livejournal.com/284514.html

Kimberly Derting said...

I'm dyin' to get my hands on Wondrous Strange, and if my math's correct, just 11 days to go... ;)

A.S. King said...

I am SO looking forward to Wondrous Strange. Lesley is so freaking awesome.

jocelyn said...

Looks like some great books! I can't wait. I actually started reading Fragile Eternity (I've got an ARC), and really good so far but I can't finish for awhile as I'm doing Cybils reading. You must read Wicked Lovely!

Paradox said...

Oooh... I want every single one of these!!! Well, I just started a review blog, so maybe eventually I'll get one... I hope. Or contests. There are always contests.

But Wings sounds A LOT like another fairy book (middle grade) that's also titled Wings... about a girl who has to learn about her fairy heritage and deal with goblins and it also involves portals to the fairy world (forgot what it's actually called in the book.) It just came out this year. Wings: A Fairy Tale by E.D. Baker <--- That's it.

R.J. Anderson said...

*beams*

Thanks for the mention!

Aprilynne Pike said...

Awwww, I'm honored you waited for my cover art for this! (And man, there is some gorgeous faerie cover art next year!)

I haven't read all of these, but SpellHunter is FABulous! and I'm in the middle of Fairy Lust right now.

We don't really have a plot description, but hey, I'll give you my jacket copy.:D

"Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words. Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings. *** In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever."

There you go! A Reviewer X exclusive!!

xoxo

Aprilynne

Reader Rabbit said...

Great post, Steph.

Can't wait to read all of these (except Wondorous Strange and that's because I've read it already!)

Gabbi said...

I didn't really like Wicked Lovely.

And did Khy give you this link...?

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302028384&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442193019

Anonymous said...

I'll be interested to see what you think of Wicked Lovely. I wanted to love it, because others seemed to. But I lost patience. Each chapter was nothing more than a conversation between two characters. There was no sense of setting. No action. Very little narration. Zero internal thought. And the character reactions didn't seem appropriate -- she tells Seth she sees fairies and he's like, "Oh? Great, what do you want for lunch?"

I don't know, it sold like hot cakes and the author has all those other books coming out, so it's probably just me...

While everyone gushed, I went, "Huh? Really?"

Anonymous said...

I'm with the other Anonymous. Yawn. The second one didn't even have a plot. I won't be reading the third.

I wonder why Holly Black's fairy books don't get more attention. Those are what got me into fairies. Guess they were ahead of the curve.

Lesley Livingston said...

Hey Steph!

Thank you for the lovely mention! And thanks to all the wonderful commenters too (A.S. King is also "freaking awesome", btw!)

I'm so thrilled to be in such company and I can't wait for WONDROUS STRANGE to officially launch.

And Steph - I am making it my mission to get you a copy if I have to fly it down there myself! (Make up the guest bed!)

Megan said...

Hmm...I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reply to comments on the other person's blog or in my own comment section. Still getting the hang of things.

Anyway, thanks so much for commenting. I love your reviews. And I'm also looking forward to Fragile Eternity. I read and liked both Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange.

Anyway, I definitely understand that some do not see the appeal of the Jonas Brothers. I am made fun of for my music taste fairly often. I'd be the first to admit that my taste skews a bit on the twelve-year-old girl side of things.

Subbing is going well. The only downside is my nagging impatience. Whether this is a writer thing or a teenage thing, I'm not sure.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

I'm kind of dying waiting for a bunch of these to come out, actually. And covers are a definite WIN in general, don't you think?

Of course, I have to mention that BALLAD: The Gathering of Faerie (the sequel to LAMENT) comes out next year too, while we're on the topic of homicidal faeries.

YA Book Realm said...

I usually don't read fairy books but I read Holly Black's book Tithe a few months ago and I surprisingly enjoyed it. and I love the cover of Wings.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph