Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me: Clocks

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me was inspired by boredom inspired by history (which isn't inspired by anything) studying inspired by the then upcoming (now failed) midterm exams. They're these series of posts in which I talk about upcoming '09 YA releases because it pleases me to lust after books.

To see all of these posts, click here. Thematically speaking, we have so far:

The Historicals #1
(historical YA fiction - from time travel, to scandalous societies, to retellings of English monarchs)

The "Spooky" Fantasy #1
(like, vampires, zombies, unicorns, demons, etc)

Cry, #1
(stories of abuse, self mutilation and death)

Laugh, #1
(humorous-seeming stories)

Heart, #1
(lovelovelove)

Mix, #1
(self-explanatory)

SECOND TAKE ON HISTORICAL, CHYEAH.

Boooooooooooks Out In '09 (Excitement!)

Unclaimed Heart by Kim Wilkins (July 09)
An illicit love—an oppressive father––a quest for truth.

The rules for a young English woman in 1799 are simple: Do what you’re told; stay out of the way; and don’t, under any circumstances, ask questions.

But Constance Blackchurch is insatiable, headstrong,and complex; and the quest to find her missing mother is too much to resist…

…as is Alexandre Sans-Nom, the pearl diver who steals her heart, uproots all of her social expectations,and can either ruin or save the family she loves.

Steph: Must say I'm becoming wary of Razorbill's recent seasonal lineups. They're molding themselves as Penguin's unofficial teen imprint, which is fine except whatever happened to Jay Asher, Scott Westerfeld (granted Peeps and So Yesterday weren't that good), Robin Benway (maybe?) and the likes? I'm hoping something good will come soon, and I'm very excited about their summer list which includes more fun-seeming titles than the spring offering, like A Match Made In High School by Kristin Walker and Prada & Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard.

Good thing this one is on their summer list ;)

The Reluctant Heiress by Eva Ibbotson (May 09)
Being an heiress in 1920s Austria with nothing but a broken-down castle to your name and nary a penny in your purse could be frustrating for anyone but the Princess Theresa-Maria of Pfaffenstein. “Tessa,” however, is thrilled with her situation, as it allows her to concentrate on her love of the arts—and no one in the Viennese opera company need know that their delightful and charming under-wardrobe mistress is really a princess. But when the dashing self-made millionaire Guy Farne arrives at the opera in search of suitable entertainment for his high society guests, Tessa realizes that there may be more to life—and love—than just music. But while the attraction between them in undeniable, Guy’s insufferable snob of a fiancĂ©e only solidifies Tessa’s determination to keep her true identity a secret. Yet, after a chance meeting with the handsome Englishman, Tessa’s reserve begins to melt, and she starts to wonder if it’s not too late for a fairytale ending…

Steph: I have Eva's last release here somewhere to review (I'll get to it soon, I promise, Jillian!) annnnnnnnnd so I shall see what I think. At first glance, this looks quite good! Doesn't hurt that the cover is pure gorgeous, of course...

Betraying Season by Marissa Doyle (June 09)
Penelope Leland has come to Ireland to study magic and prove to herself that she is as good a witch as her twin sister Persy. But when Niall Keating begins to pay her court, she can’t help being distracted from her studies. Especially when she learns that the handsome young nobleman is reputedly an illegitimate cousin of the new young Queen Victoria, her friend and idol, whom her sister saved from an ambitious wizard’s control spell the year before.

Niall Keating has strict orders from his sorceress mother Lady Keating: to make young Miss Leland fall in love with him so that she can be convinced to use her magical powers to help reconcile him to his true father, the Duke of Cumberland, Queen Victoria’s uncle. Niall is delighted to comply until he discovers his mother’s true aim: to assassinate Queen Victoria by magic and put Niall’s father on the throne of England.

Penelope is thrilled when Lady Keating reveals her powers and offers to tutor her in magic. But Niall has fallen deeply in love with the lovely young woman. Even if he halts his mother’s evil plans, will Penelope be able to forgive him for trying to seduce her into a plot against her beloved queen?

Steph: Again with these gorgeous covers! I have both of Marissa's books (this and the first one, Bewitching Season) here and am looking forward to reading them. WhatmorecanIsay?

Hmm...

Envy by Anna Godbersen (Jan 09)
Jealous whispers. Old rivalries. New betrayals.

Two months after Elizabeth Holland's dramatic homecoming, Manhattan eagerly awaits her return to the pinnacle of society. When Elizabeth refuses to rejoin her sister Diana's side, however, those watching New York's favorite family begin to suspect that all is not as it seems behind the stately doors of No. 17 Gramercy Park South.

Farther uptown, Henry and Penelope Schoonmaker are the city's most celebrated couple. But despite the glittering diamond ring on Penelope's finger, the newlyweds share little more than scorn for each other. And while the newspapers call Penelope's social-climbing best friend, Carolina Broad, an heiress, her fortune—and her fame—are anything but secure, especially now that one of society's darlings is slipping tales to the eager press.

Steph: BEST. COVERS. EVER. (For historical high society.) Never read these but I want to, I do I do. Seriously, how pretty!

/babble
Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (Jan 09)Ida Mae Jones dreams of fl ight. Her daddy was a pilot and being black didn’t stop him from fulfilling his dreams. But her daddy’s gone now, and being a woman, and being black, are two strikes against her.

When America enters the war with Germany and Japan, the Army creates the WASP, the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots—and Ida suddenly sees a way to fl y as well as do something signifi cant to help her brother stationed in the Pacific. But even the WASP won’t accept her as a black woman, forcing Ida Mae to make a difficult choice of “passing,” of pretending to be white to be accepted into the program. Hiding one’s racial heritage, denying one’s family, denying one’s self is a heavy burden. And while Ida Mae chases her dream, she must also decide who it is she really wants to be.

Steph: Ah, this be different than the rest! I'm very excited about this one because it sounds like it'll be Important. It's up next on my TBR actually, so if my mood remains constant, I shall know soon enough. There seems to be an ongoing WW2 theme lately. Anyone else notice?

Speaking of which, I need to read Book Thief...

-

Hope y'all enjoyed! :)

13 comments:

Alea said...

I really like the cover of Flygirl! I'm sort of disappointed in the cover of Envy- the colors aren't as powerful as the previous two and come on, there should have been a rich green in play here *pouts*

Amee said...

Thanks for the Reluctant Heiress summary! I've been wondering what it's about.

I was actually thinking of reading The Luxe next. I saw the cover on another blog and it made me want to read the series anew!

Alea said...

Amee, I really liked The Luxe- I haven't read the second one so I tried not to look at the synopsis for the third- i read the first sentence and then decided it was a bad idea really! You should try them!

Rowena said...

The covers for all of the Luxe novels are soooo pretty. Would love to own dresses like those. I need to get on with it already and read the book that I have.

Hillary said...

I love The Luxe covers and I can't wait for this one. I'm sooo excited. I just got an ARC of Flygirl yesterday and it looks really good.

WannabeWriter said...

When I saw "Clocks" I thought "Coldplay" but anyway. I love these! The only ones I think I'll be reading are Envy (still have to read Rumors) and Unclaimed Heart once I start seeing the general reviewer reaction to it. xD

The YA YA YAs said...

An Unclaimed Heart! I saw that in the Penguin catalog and so want to read it, too! It just sounds so luscious.

I've read Flygirl, which is about as far from The Luxe as you can get. Flygirl was, in a word, fantastic. Vivid characters, fully realized setting, etc. If you liked Christine Fletcher's Ten Cents a Dance, you'll like Flygirl.

Trisha

Shalonda said...

I love the cover for Envy! The Luxe series has some of the most eye catching covers in teen lit.

Meredith said...

I cannot wait for Envy!! And that cover is just gorgeous!!

Jessica Burkhart said...

Oooh! Great list! :)

Niins said...

Dude. *READ* Book Thief.

Gabbi said...

The cover of Envy is gorgeous!

Rebecca Herman said...

This is an old post but did you ever read Betraying Season and was it good? I want to read it so bad but the publisher delayed it til fall now! :(

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph