Saturday, November 8, 2008

YA Connection, November 2nd - 8th

I'd like to start this week's installment with the acknowledgment of the new President Elect and Vice-President Elect of the United States, Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Your American news stations weren't exaggerating when they said people in other countries can't stop celebrating - I live abroad, in a non-English speaking country no less, and the festitivities show no signs of letting up.

Regardless if you're Republican, Democrat, or of any other party, you can't deny these elections were legendary. I'm so proud of the choice the US made.

Now, of course, what stands to be seen is how everything will pan out from here on out...

Anyhow!

YA Connection
(Week of November 2nd - 8th)

The YA Connection is a collaborative column collected by Kristi (The Story Siren) and Steph (Reviewer X). In it can be found links from around the YA blogosphere, including, but not limited to, contests links, author blog links, review links, and miscellaneous news pertaining to the age group. Also, Kristi and Steph hold weekly contests accompanying the column, as well as a book and author spotlight.

If you're a blogger, author or publicist looking to have your links added, please email Kristi at thestorysiren (at) hotmail.com or Steph at reviewerx (at) gmail.com. Any book donations for giveaways are also greatly appreciated. Please note that the spotlights are not up to suggestion, but rather decided by both Kristi and Steph.

The winner of last week's contest for Artichoke's Heart has been emailed. This week, I'm giving away a $10 giftcard to Amazon! To enter, please email yaconnection@reviewerx.com. One extra entry may be earned by fetching the secret word from http://thestorysiren.com and also you get one extra entry for every place where you mention this contest (and link us to it on your email entry!).

Just as a note: To contect me about something to be placed in YA Connection, please email my PERSONAL email address (sidebar). I scan the entries really quickly and move on. I went back this week and saw I missed some messages about getting mentioned here, and I'm really sorry about that. To ensure that doesn't happen, personal email to both Kristi and I (unless it's specific to one or the other) is the way to go.


If any author has anything to donate to our weekly giveaways, please email me. Running out, I am!

Contests
(Compiled by Kristi)

Aprilynne Pike (Wings) is giving away your choice of either The Hunger Games or The Summoning!

Keri Mikulski (Screwball) is having a YA Holiday Giveaway!

Innovative: A Word for the WriTeen is giving away a copy of Chicken Soup: Teens Talk Relationships.

My Favorite Author has an ARC of The Season by Sarah MacLean up for grabs!

Lenore of Presenting Lenore is giving away a copy of Death by Bikini by Linda Gerber.

Mari Mancusi (Gamer Girl) is having a first sighting contest for her new release Gamer Girl!

Elaina of Reading Mania is giving away some very cool books!

Author Musings
(Compiled by Kristi)

Alexa Young (Frenemies) is back on the blogging scene! Two posts in one week!u To what do we owe this great honor!

Alyson Noel (Cruel Summer) shares some exciting news about her new series, which includes Evermore!

Aprilynne Pike (Wings) shares some news about her upcoming novel, losing weight and meeting her publicist!

Carrie Ryan (The Forest of Hands and Teeth) has a trailer of The Forest of Hands and Teeth. SCARY!!! And she mentions a discussion that she had while on tour.

Cheryl Renee Herbsman (Breathing) shares where she gets her ideas for writing.

The Class of 2k8 celebrated the release of P.J. Hoover's The Emerald Tablet this week.

Diana Peterfreund (Rampant) defends the awesomeness, that is unicorns.

Elizabeth Scott's (Living Dead Girl) olden time portable cd player was stolen out of her car. Interesting.

Holly Black (Ironside) posted some pictures from her Halloween Dinner Party. I'd say the panna cotta brains turned out quite nicely!

I ♥ Jennifer Banash!

Jessica M. Burkhart (Take the Reins) posted a cover pic. of her fourth novel
in the Canterwood Crest series!

John Green (Paper Towns) is proud to be a hoosier. Me too John, me too! He also has a rebuttal to Diana's discussion of awesome unicorns (he's pro-zombie.. I think he refers to unicorns as horned beasts of suck). Classic.

Justine Larbalestier (How to Ditch Your Fairy) also explains, why zombies rule.

Mari Mancusi (Gamer Girl) dressed up as Little Red Riding Hood! Check out the pics!

Meg Cabot (Airhead) is back in town, going to some Distinguished Alumni Award banquet at Indiana University . I'll have a full stalker report for you later on.

Melissa Walker (Violet in Private) celebrated Friday with a Photo Friday post of 80's Teen Movie Love! She also sat down and talked to author Sara Dessen! And did a Cover Stories feature with Robin Wasserman author of Skinned.

Scott Westerfeld (Extras) eats soap.

Author of the Week
Kristin Cashore
"So, here's the short tale of me: I grew up in the countryside of northeastern Pennsylvania in a village with cows and barns and beautiful views from the top of the hill and all that good stuff. I lived in a rickety old house with my parents, three sisters, and a scattering of cats, and I READ READ READ READ READ. I read while brushing my teeth, I read while chopping parsley, the first thing I reached for when I woke up in the morning was my book; the only two places I didn't read were in the car and in bed. What did I do then? The one thing I liked even more than reading: I daydreamed. [read more here]"

Blogger Blurbs
(Compiled by Steph)

Amee
has left The Chick Manifesto and started her own book blog again, over at Bookity Book Books!

Rachael of The Book Muncher reviewed Jo-Jo and The Fiendish Lot by Andrew Auseon: "I am pleased to say that my high expectations for this novel were exceeded. I immensely enjoyed Auseon’s unique version of death and the afterlife because it was so creative and entirely unlike any other book I’ve read on the same topic."

Sara of Sara's Holds Bookshelf reviewed Graceling by Kristin Cashore: "I loved it. I loved the way Cashore depicted the relationship of Katsa and Po and the worries of Katsa that an intimate relationship would, in some way, mean giving up her independence, the idea that marriage is not necessarily the only option for a happy relationship.* For me, the adventure and action in the novel, as exciting as it is, takes second place to the exploration of Katsa and Po's relationship."

Becky of Becky's Book Reviews reviewed Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson: "My only complaint about Chains is that it's one of those cliffhanger books with a big "to be continued" at the end."

Jen of Jen Robinson's Book Page also reviewed Chains!: "Wow! Once I started Chains, I could not put it down. Even when it was painful, and I wanted to put it down, I still couldn't put it down. It's a tricky thing to write in the first-person voice of a slave girl, with limited education, who lived more than 200 years ago, while keeping the book accessible to modern-day readers. I think that Laurie Anderson pulls it off."

Lenore of Presenting Lenore reviewed Moonstone by Merilee Brothers: "I really liked the flippant, almost campy tone of this book. (...) I wish the villains had been more than vaguely menacing, but otherwise, this first book in the Unbidden Magic series was a very enjoyable read."

Kelsey of Just Blinded Book Reviews also reviewed Moonstone!: "Considering that I finished Moonstone in less than one day it’s suffice to say that I didn’t think it was bad. Excluding those small things in the book I was incredibly surprised by how much I liked it. The supernatural aspect was so original that I found myself being pulled into this story and I couldn’t put it down until I finished the last page."

Kelsey of Reading Keeps You Sane reviewed Paper Towns by John Green: "Okay, i feel like I'm writing gibberish so I will get to the point: This novel is amazing. It is one of the best YA novels out this year. READ IT NOW!"

Em of Em's Bookshelf reviewed Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr: "As with Wicked Lovely, I didn't see the ending coming. The ending I chose was a little neater, more happy, but Melissa Marr's ending was powerful and perfectly right for Leslie. That's why I'm just the reviewer, not the writer."

Taren of The Chick Manifesto reviewed the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella: "The Shopaholic series of books by Sophie Kinsella are some of the funniest books I've ever read. I'm generally not a laughing out loud type of person (most of my instant messenger "lol"s are outright lies) unless something really cracks me up and these books had me rolling with laughter."

(Steph: Aw, Tar, we disagree. The main character annoyed me more than amused me. I'm a big fan of Kinsella's other two standalones, though; haven't read her latest.)

Becky of Becky's Book Reviews reviewed The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp: "The Spectacular Now probably isn't for everyone. There is a lot of drinking. A lot of drinking and driving. Light drug use. Definite language. Definite sex. Here is a guy with little respect for himself, so he does find it difficult to respect others. (...) It's difficult to discuss this one without giving away too much of the plot. And while some aspects of the plot are predictable, I'd hate to spoil it for anyone."

YA New York has a new member! Check out Jami B.'s first post!

Oo, Miss Erin is enjoying The Hunger Games... See! Indeed, everyone does love it.

Amy of My Friend Amy posted an interesting (and, in my opinion, very provocative) post titled The Right Not To Vote. "(I think this post will be controversial, but what are blogs for if not to share ideas? When I told my mom I was going to write about this, she wanted me to let you know that she acknowledges she failed as a parent. I think she succeeded, since I can think for myself! :)"

Alea of Pop Culture Junkie posted a new thing this week: Hardcover vs Paperback. It's a comparison of original hardback and paperback re-releases for the same books.

Khyrinthia of Frenetic Reader reviewed Wide Awake by David Levithan: "WARNING: This review contains heavy fangirling."

Anilee of Fire Must Burn reviewed Ivy by Julie Hearn: "What to say about Ivy? Other than that I absolutely loved it? Julie Hearn's writing is absolutely beautiful, and she is one of few authors who can successfully tell a story using an omniscient narrator."

Book of the Week
Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po’s friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.

Interviews / Guest Blogs
(Compiled by Steph)

Lenore of Presenting Lenore reviewed Everything Beautiful In The World and interviewed author Lisa Levchuck!

Book Chic interviewed debut author Courtney Sheinmel whose book My So-Called Family just came out!

Livinia of In Bed With Books interviewed Karen White, author of The House on Tradd Street.

Liv of Liv's Book Reviews did her Bits n Pieces feature with Ben Furman, author of the Sam's Quest series.

Our Reviews

Kristi: The Emerald Tablet by P.J. Hoover and Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott.
Steph: Dancing Queen by Erin Downing, Crush du Jour by Micol Ostow and Gettin' Lucky by Micol Ostow.

In Other News

The nice people over at Shiny Mag (an e-zine) emailed me about their work. They focus on quality YA lit, accept submissions, and take subscriptions for their magazine. You can find everything out over here: http://shinymag.blogspot.com/.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

16 comments:

Alea said...

Yay for the goodness that is YA Connection! And thanks for talking about my new feature :D

TruBlu93 said...

I was just about to email you or kristi, asking if YA Connection was published on Mondays. I guess this answers it then.. lol.

=)
TruBlu

The Story Siren said...

excellent post!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for the mention and the fab review!

Amee said...

Thanks for the mention. Lol, now I'm off to check out the multiple new windows I opened because of you guys. ;)

Abby said...

Wow, what an awesome roundup! Thanks!

sweetmelissa818 said...

Wow! That's a lot of information! I love it!

Book Chic said...

Thanks for the mention!! I was a bit worried when I finished up the reviews section and wasn't mentioned (I'm very self-centered that way, lol), but glad that my interview with Courtney was mentioned, esp. since no one's commented on it yet! So I hope this will get people reading and commenting on it.

Now, like Amee, I'm heading off to read the other tabs I opened, lol.

Jennifer Banash said...

Thanks, Kristi! I heart you too! :) :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice roundup, once again! Off to check out some stuff....

-Lauren

Maprilynne said...

How did I not know that you lived out of the US? Cool!

Very comprehensive round up this week! Thanks!!

Jessica Burkhart said...

Another awesome roundup! :)

Tehani Wessely said...

Thanks for the mention - you do a great job of the roundup, well done!

Cheers
Tehani (Shiny)

Khyrinthia said...

Yay, thanks for the mention. (:

Alyssa said...

Thanks for the roundup as usual!

Reader Rabbit said...

yay for YA connection ;)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph