Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why Buy Books?

I've seen this Booking Through Thursday topic flying around blogs today, and even though I'm not a regular participant of this book blog program, I thought I'd take a crack at this. Seems like a fun topic.

Q: Why buy boooks?
A:
Everyone has their vices. Some find God at the bottom of a scotch bottle (though, y'know, drinking straight from the bottle is the very picture of tastelessness), others like to "lend a hand" & company so to speak, and others still like to voluntarily unleash hallucinations that most often than not render them quite...stupidly happy...for the duration of the ride, etc. (Try to guess what I mean.)

Me? Well, I suppose I could take up scrapbooking or crochet or embroidery or doing homemade crotchless undies, or whatever the Unaffected choose to occupy their time with. My two poisons of choice, however, are the internet and books. The Internet because it feeds my book obsession - I get to squeal over new books and order more books and the likes. (And also "practice" at reading by reading my email. Heh.)

Yeah, I receive some free stuff. But why do I buy all the rest? The answer is all of the above + the fact there are no libraries around.

9 comments:

Lenore said...

It's the lack of libraries that does me in too. But I also like to decorate my shelves with the shiny books I read :)

Simply_Megan said...

I feel really bad for you guys that don't have libraries. I would die without mine! And I'd be broke, haha.

YA Book Realm said...

Lol I would be in the same position as Megan, without libraries. I make them order every book I want (which is a loooot), the plus side is that they order multiple copies so it help the sales for the publisher/author.

But I am going to the book store (LOVE the place)tomorrow!! XD

Sarahbear9789 said...

I would be majorly in debt. I have read 321 books this year. I love my library. I also buy a lot of my books. I am addicted. I use my libraries request system a lot.
I just bought Suite Scarlett, Wake, and The Hunger Games. I need to read Hunger Games.

Beth Kephart said...

I buy books because........ I love to support the authors and publishers who dare to put books out there. Because if we don't buy books no one will be able to afford to publish new ones. Because it's like voting for culture.

Alea said...

I have a problem, my library is pretty great and I have access to two counties but I still buy like crazy. Someday I'll use them again, someday!

Amee said...

Haha, you're funny Steph. I actually learned to crochet when I was a kid! Maybe it was because I had fewer books then. :P

Reader Rabbit said...

Haha, homemade crotchless undies? Nice Steph. *ahem*

I love buying books too but if I bought everything I wanted, well, I'd be superbroke. And I'm broke enough as it is.
Hence,

YAY LIBRARIES <3

Pikealicious said...

When I was in school, I bought books like crazy. I loved going to the bookstore. I occassionally went to the library, but parking was always such a hassle, that I would end up going to a bookstore instead. It didn't help that at the time, I worked at Barnes & Noble, so I got an employee discount, all the stripped books I wanted (10 a month), and ARCs. Now, though, I work at a library, so I lend more than I buy.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph