Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Waiting on Wednesday (7)

Again: This is a scheduled midnight post. But for some people (California! Hi!) it's 6pm. Time difference. Same thing :P

Waiting on Wednesday = Jill over at Breaking the Spine's brilliant creation. I now get to book lust for a community effort! YAY!

My pick for this week is:
My Big Nose & Other Natural Disasters by Sydney Louise Salter Husseman
(I'm using her full name no matter what it says on the cover.)

It’s the end of junior year, and summer is about to begin. The Summer of
Passion, to be exact, when Jory Michaels plans to explore all the possibilities of the future--and, with any luck, score a boyfriend in the process. But Jory has a problem. A big problem. A curvy, honking, bumpy, problem in the form of her Super Schnozz, the one thing standing between Jory and happiness. And now, with the Summer of Passion stretched before her like an open road, she's determined for Super Schnozz to disappear. Jory takes a job delivering wedding cakes to save up for a nose job at the end of the summer; she even keeps a book filled with magazine cutouts of perfect noses to show the doctor.

But nothing is ever easy for accident-prone Jory--and before she knows it, her Summer of Passion falls apart faster than the delivery van she crashes. In her hilarious and heartbreaking debut novel, Sydney Salter delivers a story about broadening your horizons, accepting yourself, and finding love right under your nose.


I need a good self-esteem novel, according to a good friend, and after some browsing, I not only fell in love with the cover (heh! Barbie!) but I think this is the kind of book I'd like. Sounds really mellow but powerful.... I don't know. Something's appealing to me. And it for some reason looks like it's a sweet and maybe funny book.

For more info click here.

So, let's hear it, y'all!

11 comments:

Mrs. Magoo said...

6:03 when I'm reading this :)

Khyrinthia said...

I'm [in] California! Hi! xD

I want this one too. Even though the cover kind of scares me...

Emily said...

I think the cover is gorgeous (: Of course you gotta love Barbie! The story sounds sweet and kind of reminds me of a sarah dessen book.

YA Book Realm said...

Ohh I might actually do a Waiting on Wednesday post tomorrow because I only have 4 hours of school (Yaay!) But first, I must find a book, shouldn't be too hard.

The title of this book reminds me of The Earth, My Butt and Other Round Things.

Oh it's 9:27 here(since everyone else is sharing...) in New York!

WannabeWriter said...

Haha, I'm on the East Coast. :] Anyway. Yeah, this book looks so cute! But it seems like it'll be ... too funny for my tastes, if that makes any sense, haha. Maybe I'm just an angst-muffin.

Amee said...

The cake delivery thing kind of reminds me of The Truth About Forever and the catering company. :P

readerrabbit said...

The nose thing reminds me of At Face Value ;)

Zoealea said...

Hi, from California! I love the cover so much, and the book seams really cool too. It seams like a book I wold like, it is very Sarah Dessen.

ALEXA YOUNG said...

The nose thing reminds me of...ME...and MY NOSE...and this book reminds me of MY LIFE...and etc. And the cover rocks. And it's 10:30pm on Tuesday night in L.A. HI! :)

ALEXA YOUNG said...

PS: I think I'm just going to write a book called BIG SCHNOZ (the sequel will be FAT TUSH). Thoughts?

Alea said...

Yes this one does sound good!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph