Friday, November 7, 2008

Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies: The Yuck

Okay! Ro-Coms! Have read almost all of them and would like to review all of them here on the blog. Since I don't need a whole lotta room to express my opinions for these, I thought I'd do a series of bite sized reviews divided in three categories:

The Yuck
The Meh
The Yum

Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies Overview
Yuck Edition - Grades: D, F, DNF [did not finish])

Dancing Queen by Erin Downing
It's official. Olivia is a superfreak. Sure, she may have landed the hottest internship at an ├╝bercool TV music station. And yes, she's chilling with A-listers in London all summer. But when she meets her very first pop star, she gets caught in a revolving glass door and falls smack down on her bum -- all in one quick motion.

Luckily, Rocker Boy thinks Liv's quirks are adorable. He takes her clubbing at the hippest spots! Liv may be clumsy on solid ground, but on the dance floor she sparkles. The summer's just begun and she's already captured the spotlight -- and a celeb's heart, too. Now if only she was sure he's the right guy...

Steph: I couldn't finish this one, which is funny, since I liked Prom Crashers by the same author. The plot is similar to many other romantic comedies everywhere: Fall for the wrong guy, he breaks your heart, then you realize Mr. Right is that quiet, unassuming guy who's been there all along but you never noticed him that way before. And now you do, so you both go and kiss and have beautiful babies together (kidding). So what else is new? The characters sure weren't. The writing wasn't either. (Third person! I hate that for these books.) Was bored - not recommended.

Crush du Jour by Micol Ostow
Laine barely has enough time for herself, much less for romance. But she's always hungry for more projects -- so she signs up to teach a cooking class at her local community center. As it turns out, the guy co-teaching the class with her, Seth, is not just cute, but downright delicious! When Seth offers her a waitressing job at his family's restaurant, Hype, Laine can't resist.

Just as Seth finally warms up to Laine, she finds out that Callie, another waitress at Hype, is cooking up a plan to steal Seth for herself. But tensions really reach their boiling point when Laine's restaurant critic mother writes a scathing review of Hype! Will Laine have to put love on the back burner again?

Steph: So this is probably the worst Ro-Com I've read as of yet. I couldn't give less of a shit about the Seth dude if I tried, Laine's constant reference to how busy! perfect! overworked! she is got on my last nerve, and the barely-there romance made the whole "romantic comedy" thing on the cover a total sham.

Count the culinary references in the description - I see six, how about you? Even innocuous ones you see all the time, as they're probably all there on purpose. That, in a 200-word description. The text is rigged with these as attempts to fulfill the "comedy" half of the genre. Perhaps someone should explain the word "overkill" to the main character.

Or maybe just "kill". Cos that's sure what it felt like.

Gettin' Lucky by Micol Ostow
Cass Parker is a big believer in luck, fate, and all things cosmic. So she's devastated when she walks in on her supposed best friend macking with Jesse, the guy she's in total "like" with. Talk about bad karma. Vegas is just full of cheaters, Cass concludes -- even the locals.

Cass refuses to sulk. She finds new friends and even gets invited to their weekly poker night -- totally casual and not-for-profit, of course. They seem pretty chill, and Cass definitely needs to get out more. So after consulting her horoscope, she gets in the game.

But when Jesse turns up for a final showdown, it turns out that Cass isn't so good at bluffing -- not when it comes to matters of the heart....

Steph: Is anyone sensing a pattern anywhere? Hmm.

Anyway, this one lacks the element of surprise. The genre itself is inherently predictable in 90% of the books, which is fine if the author makes up for it with good romance, writing, characters, etc, none of which made even a brief appearance here. So we're back to: predictable. With no redemption.

And once again, I couldn't give less of a shit. About anything.

Pass.

--

Annnnnnd Snarky Steph is back. Thank you and good night!

14 comments:

thatonegirlemily said...

Haha. Did you really expect these to be good? Just look at the covers! Cheesyyyyy.

Diana Dang said...

I've read several of these in the past (not these titles though). Yea, they aren't so great. There was one that I didn't find so bad and it was something like Cupidity...

Khyrinthia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Khyrinthia said...

Commented in wrong place. xD Ah. That was smart.

Anyway, I haven't read any Pulse Ro-Coms. I win.

Amee said...

Yay! Snarky Steph is back! I've only read two of the ro-coms so far but none of these.

TruBlu93 said...

I love the romantic comedies. I thought Dancing Queen was pretty good. Haven't read those others though.

=)
TruBlu

Zoealea said...

I've read some of the Romantic Comedies, but none of these. I agree with you about them not being good. But when I read them, I was in the mood for something that was not very good.

Reader Rabbit said...

Welcomeback ;)
great post (like usualll.)
I tagged you for a meme!

http://readerrabbit.blogspot.com/2008/11/meme.html

Reader Rabbit said...

oh and thank goodness I didn't buy any of those RoComs.

I was sooo close to getting Crush du Jour.

Phew. =D

Alea said...

OMG I love it! You just crack me up! Well I know I plucked up the best one last week per your suggestion!

I do wonder how authors get picked to write these. Do you know any more background on this group of books as a whole. Very interesting.

Kelsey said...

I've only read Gettin' Lucky and liked it enough. But I just couldn't get through Dancing Queen and I haven't gotten Crush Du Jour yet, so glad I didn't!

WannabeWriter said...

I read both Dancing Queen & Crush Du Jour. I actually liked Crush Du Jour ( but then again, I read it well over a few months ago, and I have the habit of doing a lot of growing up in short periods of time ).

By the way, YAY FOR THE RETURN OF THE SNARK. :]

Alyssa said...

This is such a good idea for reviews. I never know what to do with series reviews...

Ms. Yingling said...

There's actually a web site that to which all the authors of these contribute. They are wildly popular with my girly lit fans, and they're cheap in Perma-Bound editions. Great lit? Nah. Fun. Sometimes. Thanks for the review!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph