Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I Know It's Over by CK Kelly Martin

Summary

PURE. UNPLANNED. PERFECT. Those were Nick’s summer plans before Sasha stepped into the picture. With the collateral damage from his parents’ divorce still settling and Dani (his girl of the moment) up for nearly anything, complications are the last thing he needs. All that changes, though, when Nick runs into Sasha at the beach in July. Suddenly he’s neck-deep in a relationship and surprised to find he doesn’t mind in the least. But Nick’s world shifts again when Sasha breaks up with him. Then, weeks later, while Nick’s still reeling from the breakup, she turns up at his doorstep and tells him she’s pregnant. Nick finds himself struggling once more to understand the girl he can’t stop caring for, the girl who insists that it’s still over.
Grade: B+/A-

(Thank you Jenny and CK for this one.)

Review:
Okay y’all, I wasn’t ready for this. Like...I’m still reeling, awed by CK Kelly Martin’s ability to turn what I expected to be a pretty quiet and somewhat unoriginal story (honestly, how many times can you spin “they meet, they do it, they conceive, now they must get their shit together”? How can you spin it any differently, is what I’d like to know) and make it totally...this.

That just made no sense, didn’t it?

Allow me to explain myself. In a pregnancy story the scenarios I usually see are abortion, adoption, and keeping it, and aside from those three, there’s not much room to get creative. Which is fine, it’s all in the subject matter. But what I liked here—what I think makes this book different—is the fact most of the focus is not on the pregnancy itself, or on the pregnant girl, but on the relationship of the two, from genesis to disintegration. I’m not accustomed to getting this caught up with the characters in any book (even as a character person, most books don’t offer so much depth), much less a book I expected to be about the pregnancy and how the guy’s processing and dealing with it all. Make no mistake, the pregnancy thing is there (oooh, is it), but the flesh, the history, behind it is also so powerful.

When I got down to it, I wasn’t reading to figure out how they’d cope with a kid, or with adoption, or with abortion, but for the decision itself. (I’m guessing that last sentence also made no sense?) It made all the difference. Like, aside from what the consequences brought to the couple with each possible choice—dirty diapers, legal papers, or the abortion—it actually made a difference, to ME, as the reader, what Sasha chose.

I’m not explaining this very well, and for that I’m sorry. -.-

Also, this is one of the few books where I was convinced with the female writer’s male voice. That alone is a miracle.

So, back to what I said in the beginning: I wasn’t ready. I Know It’s Over, for all its magic and spellbinding qualities and its interspersed stark wisdom, is heartbreaking. (Ahh, and ya know what? Let’s do the heart- trifecta for this one: heartbreaking, heartfelt, and heartwarming.) It’s also incredibly real, to a degree where it actually amazed me how much CK Kelly Martin knew her own characters and kept them contemporary and universal all at once. In fact, that’s exactly what I’d describe this book as: Real.

Realrealrealrealreal—did I not say in the beginning I was still reeling?

Yeah.

So, recommendation? Hell yeah. This is even one of those books I’m sure I’ll be revisiting sometime, just to experience the entire emotional spectrum once again.

Just...I shall stop now.

Oh, and I just realized: If this is CK Kelly Martin writing from a male perspective, what in the hell is she like writing from a female? Guys, I’m intimidated. And also in dire need to get hold of her next book.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

And that is it for Fangirly Me this week.

13 comments:

Amee said...

I haven't read many, if any, pregnancy books, but I'm looking forward to this one. You (and the promotional bookmark!) have made me want to read it. :)

Carol said...

Yes, C.K. Kelly Martin is an amazing writer. I think her next book if from a girl's POV. :)

Carol said...

I meant is from a girl's POV not if.

Steph said...

You need it, Amee. It's not even a matter of desire anymore.

Carol - I know! Am looking forward to it :)

WannabeWriter said...

Yeah, I liked this book too. It was definitely realistic, especially the outcome. B+ for sure. :]

Book Chic said...

I have this book in my TBR pile and can't wait to get to it. It looks really good and even more so now that it's got your seal of approval.

(PS I posted a picture of myself and your idol John Green on my myspace- go check it out!)

Alea said...

Grr. I wish this was out in paperback! We'll see how long I can hold off before just buying the darn hardcover!

Reader Rabbit said...

Great Review! I hope I get a chance to read this book.

Kelsey said...

CK sent this to me also and I absolutely loved it!

Great review!

Sarahbear9789 said...

I loved this book. Great Review.

Wrighty - said...

I thought this was a really good review. You may have had a hard time describing it but your emotions came through loud and clear. That's what makes me want to read this one. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. This a perfect book! By the way, you are not very good at spelling or grammar in your reviews.

Steph said...

Anon: A typo or two slip in because I may miss things when I proofread, but that's the part where you don't take part for the whole :)

Steph

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph