Saturday, November 29, 2008

Exquisite

I was talking to a friend Taren and the word "exquisite" came up and I remembered I disliked that word because it sounds stupid, perhaps akin to smelling your wine and "tasting the aroma" before actually drinking it but even stupider, which to me comes across as totally over the top and pretentious so I'm gonna just say that if I ever use that word in a review I'm so so so so exquisitely kidding.

I'm writing a review now and using that word because it just fits with my overall mocking tone, that being the reason for this post: so I can link the word back here.

Exquisite is a stupid word.

Stupid stupid stupid.

11 comments:

Taren said...

I love you for this, you know that? You think it's bad for wine? Try having someone use it to describe every piece of pastry that comes across his big, fat mouth. When a single word becomes a company joke, you know you need to dial it down a bit with the pretension. Again, Steph, you make me smile!

Steph said...

Dude, you totally revived my hatred for that word last night. =) I'll tell you more about it through IM lest I offend someone.

Kimberly Derting said...

HA HA :) Your post cracked me up...I know people who do that wine thing. It's exquisite!

Amee said...

Can't wait to read that exquisite review! :P

Paradox said...

I totally agree. For some reason when I think of the word "exquisite", I think of some French guy from the 1700s who wears face powder, makeup, pastel clothes, and has a thin pointy mustasche.

Steph said...

OMG Kimberly that is so sad :P

Paradox - don't forget the wine routine. That makes it perfect.

Amee said...

Wiiiiiiine!

Gabbi said...

Exquisite is in the same vein as "glorious." Drives me crazy!

Jena said...

Funny how some words rub people the wrong way. I can't stand the words "panties" and "jolly." A woman I was in grad school with hated the word "moist." (And the way she said it made me dislike it, too. Ew.)

Taren said...

Amee: HAHAHA how could I have missed that one? I reminded Steph of that earlier. "Wiiiiine. Would you like some wine, sir?"

Gabbi said...

Moist.

Ugh.

Not a fan of that word either, Jena. Or 'eclectic.'

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph