Friday, November 28, 2008

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me: Mix!

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me was inspired by boredom inspired by history (which isn't inspired by anything) studying inspired by the then upcoming (now failed) midterm exams. They're these series of posts in which I talk about upcoming '09 YA releases because it pleases me to lust after books.

To see all of these posts, click here. Thematically speaking, we have so far:

The Historicals #1
(historical YA fiction - from time travel, to scandalous societies, to retellings of English monarchs)

The "Spooky" Fantasy #1
(like, vampires, zombies, unicorns, demons, etc)

Cry, #1
(stories of abuse, self mutilation and death)

Laugh, #1
(humorous-seeming stories)

Heart, #1
(lovelovelove)

This week? I'm just gonna wing it. We get one coming-of-age, one teen romance, one humorous, and one fairy tale retelling. Enjoy!

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (Amazon Page - June 11th)
It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

To be released June 11th, 2009.

Steph: Y'all, it's Sarah Dessen - she could be writing about canker sores for all I care. I'm still not sold on the cover (it looks a retro and gimmicky), but as the old adage goes, never judge a book by a cover. (Judge it by Sarah's name on it.) Tis the spirit :)

Waiting For You by Susane Colasanti (Amazon Page - July 9th)
Derek
Friendly and popular
Style: Cali surfer boy
Awesome at flirting
Future career: landscape architect
Boyfriend potential: high

Nash
Shy but sweet
Style: totally geeked out
Only talks to girls when absolutely necessary
Future career: robotics engineer
Boyfriend potential: none

Derek is clearly the boy Marisa's been waiting for, but there's just one problem. He has a girlfriend. Nash is wrong for Marisa, but he wants to take care of her. As if life wasn't complicated enough, Marisa's also dealing with overcoming a major problem from her past, a family that's acting totally bizarre, and a secret crush on a guy whose identity is a mystery - even to her.

Sophomore year is going to be intense.

Steph: I'm just waiting to see Ms Colasanti redeem herself. I adored her debut, When It Happens, but then her followup, Take Me There, was hugely unsatisfying (for me). I could deal with the maybe-slightly-trying-too-hard teenage voice in When It Happens because it generally rang true at parts (and the plot was adorable), but I couldn't stand it in the latter. I don't know quite what to make of the setup, because ... well, things can go either way. Fingers crossed though! Check out an excerpt.


Just One Wish by Janette Rallison (Amazon Page - March 5th)
Seventeen-year-old Annika Truman knows about the power of positive thinking. With a little brother who has cancer, it’s all she ever hears about. And in order to help Jeremy, she will go to the ends of the earth (or at least as far as Hollywood) to help him believe he can survive his upcoming surgery.

But Annika’s plan to convince Jeremy that a magic genie will grant him any wish throws her a curveball when he unexpectedly wishes that his television idol would visit him. Annika suddenly fi nds herself in the desperate predicament of getting access to a hunky star actor and convincing him to come home with her. Piece of cake, right?

Steph: I'm reading this one and lemme tell you, what I'm about to say will come back and bite me square in the ass what with my luck with books lately, but so far it's really, really good. In fact, it's proving to be quite the challenge to just stop to write this post because I keep getting sucked back into the story. Final verdict will come in the shape of a review sometime in March, nearer the release date :)

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (Amazon Page - January 20th)

A tale of twelve princesses doomed to dance until dawn…


Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all—true love—to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.

Steph: I *love* the fairy tale this one is based on. Can barely wait to get my hands on a copy - it looks spectacular. Early reviews are also very positive (very positive). Very EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-worthy, this premise is.

-


And that is it!

16 comments:

Emily said...

I can NOT wait for Along for the Ride! Eeeek :D

harmonybookreviews said...

I'm extremely excited for all of these, especially Along for the Ride. And I'm really glad that you liked Just One Wish, since it's one of the upcoming releases that I have.

Lenore said...

I have my eye on that last one (midnight ball). I swear if it doesn't show up in my mailbox soon, I'm going to implode.

Alea said...

I think the first three sound right up my boat! Yay! :D I was like hmmm wonder when Steph is going to post another one, it looks like you read my mind!

Tempestt said...

I am so excited for all of these! "Along for the Ride" is going to be great! :)

Amee said...

They all sound great! The third doesn't really sound like my kind of thing, but I might change my mind in March when you review it. ;)

WannabeWriter said...

Yesss!! Along For the Ride! And as tempted as I am to read another book by Susane Colasanti, I'm waiting to see the general reaction to this one. But that cover is just SO cute... :]

Tasha said...

Great round up of books! Jessica Day George's book looks really good, plus she is fabulous at retellings.

Sarah MacLean said...

ooh....Princess of the Midnight Ball sounds AWESOME. Pre-order? YES.

Reader Rabbit said...

I want the last one.
Alot.
Read Just One Wish ;)

And I sure want Sarah Dessen's new book.

:( How shall I ever wait that long?

Gabbi said...

Along For The Ride looks good. Any idea how to pronounce 'Auden'? Like, 'awning'???

Also, I was wondering if you could add the publishing/release dates somewhere. 'Cause I just immediately go look on Amazon to add them to my To Be Released list.

Taren said...

I've never read anything by Sarah Dessen (please don't hurt me!) but that sounds really good. I don't think the cover looks too retro -I mean I dress like that (minus all the pink) and I look precious thankyouverymuch.

Book Chic said...

Taren- You really should read something by Sarah- she's a great author. I need to read more by her cuz all I've read is just two of her books.

Gabbi- Sarah says the name in one of the readergirlz videos, so look around on Youtube for that. But I do think it's pronounced like Aw-den.

Steph- I have Just One Wish (as well as Janette's other early 2009 release My Fair Godmother) and I'm excited to read it. I'm glad that so far, you like it! I'm also looking forward to Sarah and Susane's books, and I may check out Jessica's book at some point. It does sound good. :)

Saints and Spinners said...

Hi Steph! I followed your link from the GoodReads review of How to Ditch Your Fairy. I am particularly interested in the Midnight Ball book, as the "Twelve Dancing Princesses" is one of my favorite fairy tales to study. As I was reading the description, I just remembered that there were parts of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell that had that particular fairy tale motif.

Cassandra said...

Wow... so many awesome books!! Sarah Dessen ROCKS – have you read Lock and Key? Totally awesome, if a bit unrealistic... but who wants to read about realistic stuff?!

BookChic said...

Cassandra- I'm way behind on this, but um, what was unrealistic about Lock and Key? I'm just curious. I've read it and found it realistic, and from what I've heard about Sarah's other books, they're pretty realistic. I mean, I thought that's why she's such a good writer, because of her realism and tendency to not gloss over certain subjects.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph