Thursday, November 13, 2008

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me: Laugh

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me was inspired by boredom inspired by history (which isn't inspired by anything) studying inspired by the then upcoming (now failed) midterm exams. They're these series of posts in which I talk about upcoming '09 YA releases because it pleases me to lust after books.

To see all of these posts, click here. Thematically speaking, we have so far:

The Historicals #1
(historical YA fiction - from time travel, to scandalous societies, to retellings of English monarchs)

The "Spooky" Fantasy #1
(like, vampires, zombies, unicorns, demons, etc)

Cry, #1
(stories of abuse, self mutilation and death)

This week, I shall spotlight the funny-sounding books. We all need to smile a little more, I think.

Exciting Books Out In 2009

A Match Made In High School by Kristin Walker
When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: Jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer. Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

Steph: Mandy Hubbard tells me this one is hilarious (I believe her exact words were, "I laughed at least five times in the first ten pages. Her humor is SO great"), and you know what? I believe it. It sounds perfect for a lazy afternoon. (And I love these types of covers - kinda like So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld's.)

Marking as a must-read.

Speaking of "this is funny" recommendations, I was recommended...

Paisley Hanover Acts Out
by Cameron Tuttle
Always one of the popular kids, sophomore Paisley Hanover gets a rude awakening when she's booted out of yearbook and into the badlands of drama class. Out of her element but only momentarily out of ideas, Paisley takes action- and an unexpected liking to her drama buddies. The result? An undercover crusade that could bring down the popularity pecking order, and Paisley along with it.

This is the story of how Paisley Hanover gets wise, gets bold, and gets into a hilarious mess of trouble. With a package as fresh and clever as Paisley herself - including a cool slipcase, a fabulous novel, and Paisley's notebook of embarrassingly funny ideas and doodles—it's the start of a series that embraces the - Un- in UnUsual.

Steph: Of this book, I was told: "It’s funny & the main character is completely relatable." The ARC is so cute and compact (but thickish! yay!) and on the back there are some 50 or so pages of Paisley's journals, illustrated and everything, and from the looks of it, very funny. I think I might tackle this one next.

AND OMG THE DEDICATION IS: "For Barbara, one of the cool moms - Un of a kind, UnFinished, UnForgettable". MY FAVORITE EVER, right after the one in An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.

*fangirly screams*

Speaking of what I've will be tackling...

Triple Shot Bettys In Love by Jody Gehrman
Geena is freaking out. She’s been going out with Ben for five months, their relationship is comfortable and perfect, and then Bam! he’s suddenly putting the pressure on to be way more physical. She’s not sure she’s ready.

Enter Mr. Rex Sands, Geena’s delectably hot and brilliant English substitute teacher (he speaks to her soul!), on whom her best friend Amber develops an immediate crush when he stops by the Triple Shot Betty coffee shack. Amber needs Geena’s help talking to him because he is such an intellectual, so Geena finds herself writing love notes, MySpace messages, and texts to Mr. Sands under Amber’s name. And he writes back! Geena is just doing it all for Amber (sort of), so it’s not technically cheating on Ben . . . right? In this romantic and playful update of Cyrano de Bergerac, Jody Gehrman reintroduces readers to Geena, Amber, and the Sonoma gang as they walk the rocky and confusing path toward true love.

Steph: Won't say too much because this is one I *have* tackled and I still have to review it, so as not to give too much away now, let's just say I liked it and I laughed while reading it. Which is to be expected, because I looooooved the first book, Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty.

Speaking of journals (TSB = journal format), here's a take on BLOGS...

TMI
by Sarah Quigley
Friends call Becca the Overshare Queen, but her tendency for TMI never seemed like a problem to her until she blabs about her sweet band-geek boyfriend’s sloppy kisses—and gets dumped! Realizing it may be better to resist the temptation to overshare face-to-face, Becca decides to blog anonymously about everything instead. On her blog, Too Much Information, Becca unleashes her alter ego, Bella. Bella tells it like it is . . . though perhaps with a bit more drama. After all, no one’s going to read it, right???

Steph: Sarah's been visiting my blog for a while (hey Sarah!), which is why I came to find out about her book. And I'm sorry, but that's just a really great description - sets the scene so smoothly. Am looking forward to this one, definitely.

-

I found several more funny-sounding books, so I'll probably do another post over the weekend, a part deux of sorts. Hope you all enjoyed it, and come back for more!

16 comments:

Alea said...

These are my kind of books! Paisley Hanover Acts Out sounds great with the journal element! I definitely want to read the Triple Shot Bettys series and TMI, blogs? Heck yes!

Book Chic said...

Yay for funny books! I'm looking forward to Match and TMI, and I've got Bettys in my TBR pile already. Can't wait to see your part 2! :)

Kelsey said...

Sound like awesome books. I really want to read the Betty's books!

Sarah Quigley said...

Thanks so much for plugging TMI! (And right back at you: http://sarahquigley.com/blog/?p=95) It truly made my day.

Kristin Walker said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out! That was awesome of you. Hope you like MATCH when you get a chance to read it!

XO
Kristin

Amee said...

Yay! I love funny books. I think I'll be adding a couple of these to my wish list. ;)

Lenore said...

That is a great dedication - I teared up because my mom's name was Barbara and she was a cool mom :)

Amee said...

I can't find Kristin's book on Amazon. When is it being released?

ALEXA YOUNG said...

Would you be so kind as to put FAKETASTIC on your part two? :) xo

ALEXA YOUNG said...

Also: Thanks for the info on Cameron Tuttle. I didn't know she was doing fiction now! Her Bad Girl Guide books are HILARIOUS (too bad about the Jenny McCarthy show, though; it sucked, big-time). I'm expecting her fiction to be equally blow-milk-out-your-nose awesome. Must pick that one up! XO

Alyssa said...

More fun stuff to look forward to. Thanks!

Kristin Walker said...

BTW, I just got some better catalogue copy if you want it. (that up there is from my query letter...kind of old and yucky. LOL) Here's the link to it on the Debs: http://community.livejournal.com/debut2009/138857.html

Thanks again, X! You rock.

K

Steph said...

Hey y'all - No problem, both to Kristin and Sarah! :)

Kristin - I updated your synop. The last one didn't suck, though! :) Feel free to call me Steph, btw!

Steph

Alea said...

I was over here rereading parts of your post and I love your note with the comment box! Haha, for awhile I thought it was my computer being all weird but no, it's just blogger!

Alea said...

Oh one more thing, that one totally went through with ONE CLICK!

Kristin Walker said...

Thanks, Steph! I like the new layout. Very Zen.

I think.

I don't really know anything about Zen.

Kristin

(Dag, I still can't get my LJ shabootie to work. Tooo tired...)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph