Thursday, November 6, 2008

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me: Cry

Amaze Me, Faze Me, Daze Me was inspired by boredom inspired by history (which isn't inspired by anything) studying inspired by the then upcoming (now failed) midterm exams. They're these series of posts in which I talk about upcoming '09 YA releases because it pleases me to lust after books.

To see all of these posts, click here. Thematically speaking, we have so far:

The Historicals #1
(historical YA fiction - from time travel, to scandalous societies, to retellings of English monarchs)

The "Spooky" Fantasy #1
(like, vampires, zombies, unicorns, demons, etc)

This week's theme is abuse, death, self mutilation... (Personally, my favorite kind of realistic lit. So long as it's realistic, of course.)

Exciting! Books! Out! In! '09!
The "Shit Happens" Edition, Take 1
(I haven't read these books - yet. This isn't endorsement - yet.)

Willow by Julia Hoban
Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen year-old Willow’s parents died in a horrible car accident. Willow was driving. Now her older brother barely speaks to her, her new classmates know her as the killer orphan girl, and Willow is blocking the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when one boy —one sensitive, soulful boy—discovers Willow’s secret, it sparks an intense relationship that turns the “safe” world Willow has created for herself upside down.

Told in an extraordinary fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl’s struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy’s refusal to give up on her.

[Amazon Page] (Note: Amazon seems to be on crack because the page count is not 224. It's over 350 pages long, if the ARC is to be trusted.)

Steph: I love the name Willow. Moreover, I love the cover. So this would've caught my attention immediately in a book store. Also, I'm a sucker for sad stories, especially ones of strength. (Life sucks, so whatcha gonna do?) And I like that there seems to be a romantic subplot somewhere (a little birdie tells me the main story isn't the romance, but the latter is there too)... Sounds good to me.

Speaking of dying parents...

If I Stay by Garle Forman
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she fi nds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

[Amazon Page]

Steph: This is one of Dutton (Penguin Groups USA)'s BIG titles for next year. The print run is immense, so I'm dying to know how the marketing campaign will pan out. That said, I have high expectations because Dutton is one of my favorite imprints, because it's received strong in-house support, the cover is gorgeous, and I love the premise. I heard it's beautifully written which is, like, AWESOME.

Speaking of big Penguin titles...

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (!)
[DAMN IT NO PHOTOS ARE UPLOADED ONLINE YET. The ARC one is GORGEOUS, though.]
[AND NO DESCRIPTION ANYWHERE EITHER. WHAT THE HELL?]

Here's a blurb from the ARC:
Wintergirls explores the emotions that underlie the obsessive, competitive culture of eating disorders as only Laurie Halse Anderson could. With lyrical, evocative prose, she tells the unforgettable story of one girl's desperate struggle to battle the demons within.

[Amazon Page]

Steph: Well, that helps. *sigh* Though, really, it's Laurie. The book sells itself. This one also has a huge print run - exciting!

I wish they'd post the damn cover and description online, though.

Speaking of Viking (Wintergirls's publisher)...



Because I Am Furniture
by Thalia Chaltas
Anke’s father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she’s just an invisible witness in a house of horrors, on the brink of disappearing altogether. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. At first just being exhausted after practice feels good, but as Anke becomes part of the team, her confidence builds. When she learns to yell “Mine!” to call a ball, she finds a voice she didn’t know existed. For the first time, Anke is seen and heard. Soon, she’s imagining a day that her voice will be loud enough to rescue everyone at home—including herself.

[Amazon Page]


Steph: Very interesting, how Anke isn't the one abused, but rather the only one not abused. So much for turning a regular premise on its head, huh? This is written in verse, which isn't my favorite, but we shall see. Lovely cover and title, at any rate.

--


Hope you enjoyed!

I'm thinking of tackling straight teen romance next week. Or maybe what looks funny. Depends on my mood. (This week's is pretty reflective of my satisfaction with my NaNo, eh? It's still fun to participate in, though!)

11 comments:

Alea said...

Yay! Willow seems really powerful! I'm not usually one for stories this depressing though. What you have planned for next week sounds good either way!

Just Blinded Book Reviews said...

I don't know what it is but I have this fascination with dark lit. All of them sound so amazing, but I think Willow looks the best.

Lenore said...

I am really looking forward to ALL of these - especially If I Stay... but then you knew that already didn't you?

Hope. said...

I love these kinds of books, too. I haven't heard of any of these yet, but they all look pretty fantastic. :)

hope.

thatonegirlemily said...

Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my favorite writers. Her books are powerful and fun to read at the same time. Can't wait for Wintergirls!

Amee said...

Actually, Identical by Ellen Hopkins (I'm reading it now) also gives the point of view of the girl not abused (although it also gives the abused's POV as well). And it's written in verse. Hmm...many similarities.

Book Chic said...

Great collection of books. They all sound fantastic, especially If I Stay.

By the way, if you like the name Willow, there's a VC Andrews series about a girl named Willow- the first book in the series is titled that name. Since you liked FITA, I think you might like this too.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Wintergirls sounds awesome. I'm going to make sure I read this one.

Khyrinthia said...

Yay sad books! I loves me a good abuse/death/mutilation book.

Alyssa said...

This is such a fun idea! And incidentally, I know how you feel about midterms...

Readingjunky said...

These sound terrific! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph