Saturday, October 11, 2008

YA Connection, October 5th-11th

YA Connection
(Week of October 5th - 11th)

The YA Connection is a collaborative column collected by Kristi (The Story Siren) and Steph (Reviewer X). In it can be found links from around the YA blogosphere, including, but not limited to, contests links, author blog links, review links, and miscellaneous news pertaining to the age group. Also, Kristi and Steph hold weekly contests accompanying the column, as well as a book and author spotlight.

If you're a blogger, author or publicist looking to have your links added, please email Kristi at thestorysiren (at) hotmail.com or Steph at reviewerx (at) gmail.com. Any book donations for giveaways are also greatly appreciated. Please note that the spotlights are not up to suggestion, but rather decided by both Kristi and Steph.

This week's contest is for a copy of The Fold by An Na. To enter, email yaconnection@reviewerx.com with your MAILING ADDRESS. Extra entries may be earned by posting about it elsewhere and linking to it in your email entry (+1 for each mention) and by getting the secret word at http://thestorysiren.com/.

Contests
(Compiled by Kristi)
Random House is hosting The Lilly Pulitzer "Deb Club" Makeover Contest. One lucky winner will Win a trip for four to New York City for a shopping spree at the new Lilly Pulitzer Store on Madison Avenue.

Gaby Triana (The Temptress Four) has a $25 i-Tunes gc up for grabs! For more information visit the post,
here.

Linda Joy (Dead Girl Walking) is going to dedicate her next book to one lucky winner! For more info on this contest, you can see the original post,
here.

Vanessa of What Vanessa Reads is giving away a copy of
Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott.

Book Adorer is giving away a signed copy of
I Heart You, I Haunt You by Lisa Schroeder.

Keri Mikulski (Screwball) is giving away
six books, yes you read right, SIX!!

Brooke Taylor (Undone) is hosting a MONSTER giveaway all month long!
This week is Ghosts!!

Author Musings
(Compiled by Kristi)

Jennifer Banash has some ARCs of
In Too Deep hot of the press. If you want one for yourself stop by The Story Siren! There you go JB you're number one, how bout them apples.

It was a very busy week over at Books, Boys, Buzz. This weeks topics included movies, a living goddess and The Office. Books, Boys and Buzz is hosted by the following YA authors: Donna Sarkar-Mishra (How To Salsa in a Sari), Heather Davis (Never Cry Werewolf), Marley Gibson (Sorority 101), Simone Elkeles (Leaving Paradise), Stephanie Hale (Twisted Sisters), Tina Ferraro (How To Hook a Hottie) and Tera Lynn Childs (Oh. My. Gods.).

Fall is hitting New York and Taylor Morris (Total Knockout: Tales of an Ex-Class President) has been taking notice.

Lesley Livingston (Wondrous Strange) is getting some advance praise for her upcoming debut novel Wondrous Strange.

Ally Carter (I'd Tell You That I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You) announced the title to her newest Gallagher Girls novel: Don't Judge a Girl By Her Cover.

Carrie Ryan (Forest of Hands and Teeth) is quitting her day job! That's right, she is taking the plunge and becoming a full time writer! CONGRATS Carrie!!

Elizabeth Scott (Living Dead Girl) shared the cover art to her new novel Something Maybe!

Jessica Burkhart (Take the Reins) is busy decorating for Halloween, posing with horses and revealing the cover to her third Canterwood Crest Novel! What a jam packed week!

Libba Bray (The Sweet Far Thing) has a sort of an update for the AGATB movie!

Melissa Walker (The Violet Series) ad a lot going on over at her blog this week! h Some of my fav's were the Cover Stories post by fellow YA Author Alyson Noel (Cruel Summer) and the post about Paul Newman, I love him in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof too!! Oh Brick!

Cassandra Clare (City of Ashes) posted a link for an excerpt of City of Glass, she also announced that she will be having a City of Glass ARC contest sometime around Christmas!

The Flux Blog shared some love for the upcoming novel Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King.

Regina Scott (La Petite Four) reflected on how important research is on writing her novels. To jump or not to jump? That is the question.

Liz Gallagher (The Opposite of Invisible) is working on another novel! You remember Vanessa from The Opposite of Invisible right, cool artsy chick, yeah her. She is getting her own novel. How cool is that!

Yeah, so John Green (Paper Towns) is going on tour! You can check it out his schedule here. He is coming to Indy! I so need to go. I mean I should go, I will!

Author of the Week
John Green is the Michael L. Printz Award-winning author of Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines. When he was little, he wanted to be an earthworm scientist. (There is a word for such a person: oligochaetologist.) But he killed off his entire earthworm farm due to his general inability to care for pets. Later, he made a list of things he was good at. The list included "telling lies" and "sitting." So he became a writer.




Blogger Blurbs
(Compiled by Steph)
Leila Roy of bookshelves of doom reviewed The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King (!!): "The Dust of 100 Dogs is entertaining, multi-layered, smart and definitely gripping (sorry if this is TMI, but I had to pee for the better part of the last quarter of the book, but somehow, I just COULD NOT put it down and run for the bathroom). Though the book begins with Emer's death, I had no idea how she got to that point, and I didn't know what would happen when (or if) Saffron finally made it to Jamaica. I find it impressive that A. S. King began the book with the death of the main character and still succeeded in writing a suspenseful story."

Reader Rabbit reviewed Revealers by Amanda Marrone: "I wish the book was longer. Seriously, if only it had been. It had alot of promise but there wasn't enough space in the short 288 pages to develop the plot and characters as much as I'd have liked. The concept of the book was interesting. Not completely original but it did have it's own points."

Taren of The Chick Manifesto reviewed The Debutante by Kathryn Williams: "I was surprised and happy about how normal and relatable the characters were. Even Annie’s occasional bitchiness, which under a lesser author would have made her into a clone of Paris Hilton on “The Simple Life”, is understandable because who among us wouldn’t be pissed off to leave everyone we know behind during our senior year?"

Lenore of Presenting Lenore reviewed a whole bunch of middle grade books for her dawn-to-dusk reading marathon!

Chelsea of the awesome The Page Flipper reviewed Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist: "I loved the use of references within the book. From the South Park movie to the picture book Are You My Mother?, there was definitely a wide range of them. And they were all pretty damn comical. The humor in this book measured up to what I expected, after reading Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List."

Rachael of The Book Muncher reviewed All About Vee by C Leigh Purtill: "I found it refreshing that “All About Vee” did not focus solely upon physical body image but also incorporated family and friendship. I especially liked Vee’s connection to her dead mother through letters her mother wrote."

Gabbi of All Five Stars reviewed Perfect by Natasha Friend: "My biggest gripe with Ms. Natasha is the same as my only gripe with legendary YA author, Sarah Dessen. They pick a formula and stick to it. [...] That being said Perfect is still a great read."

Becky of Becky's Book Reviews reviewed Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes by Peggy Giford: "Everything I loved about the first book is present in the second. And then some. The completely original and hilarious voice. The wacky chapter titles."

Cat of Beyond Books reviewed The P.L.A.I.N Janes by Cecil Castellucci: "I don’t think I liked it all that much. Sure it had an interesting plot idea, but I found the characters all rather, well, plain. Boring, actually. I especially didn’t like the Original Jane, the one who was planning all these art attacks, I found her to be fake and uninteresting. "

For differential, check out Khyrinthia of Frenetic Reader's opinion on the same title: " enjoyed the plot immensely, mostly because I see the whole adventure of the Janes as a message to go and do something to make the world, and yourself, better. But just because it has a message doesn't mean it's boring or lame or a pain to read. It's not. It's light and it's just fun to read since much of it is made up of pretty pictures."

James of Book Chic reviewed How To Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier: "Since I'd heard all these good things, my expectations were fairly high and unfortunately, the book fell a bit short."

Carol of Book-Luver Carol reviewed Moby Clique by Cara Lockwood: "Moby Clique was a pretty good book. The references to classical books and the titles makes me want to check out all the classic books mentioned in this series (and that's saying something, since I don't really like to read literary fiction)."

Harmony of Harmony Book Reviews reviewed I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by Stephanie Kuehnert: "This.Book.Is.Amazing.Read.It.Now. I could honestly stop there but that wouldn’t be much of a review, would it?"

Hope of Hope's Bookshelf reviewed Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott: "Elizabeth Scott has done it again. Living Dead Girl is an amazing, gripping novel that will have you hooked, wanting to know Alice's story."

Kelsey of Just Blinded Book Reviews reviewed Sisters of Misery by Megan Kelley Hall: "I zipped through this book so quickly; once I started reading it I couldn't stop. Sisters of Misery was so original--the plot and the characters were so unlike anything that I've read before."

Alea of Pop Culture Junkie posted a new Lookalikes post! This one is of The Host by Stephenie Meyer and Bible Illuminated: The Book: New Testament.

Interviews
Frenetic Reader interviewed Jim Rugg, graphic artist of The PLAIN Janes by Cecil Castellucci.

Stephanie Kuehnert (I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone) was interviewed by the FABULOUS nineseveneight book reviews and posted her favorite songs on Harmony Book Reviews.

Book-Luver Carol interviewed Diana Rodriguez Wallach, author of Amor and Summer Secrets.

Book of the Week:
Paper Towns by John Green
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life--dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge--he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues--and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

Printz medalist John Green returns with the brilliant wit and searing emotional honesty that have inspired a new generation of listeners.

Our Reviews:
Kristi: Vibes by Amy Kathleen Ryan and A BFF Novel: The Guy Next Door by Carol Culver.

Steph: My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger (A) and How To Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier (C).

14 comments:

WannabeWriter said...

Yay, another awesome round-up! Thanks, now I have a bunch of tabs open, so I'd better go check out these links.

( And because I can't help myself: First comment?!?! )

The Story Siren said...

awesome post job as usual, Steph! and yes, we do rock.

Amee said...

Haha, I know have 5 new windows open. Thanks for more homework procrastination. ;)

Alea said...

I already have like 15 windows open, so once I deal with those I'll be clicking all of these links! Great as always!

Jessica Burkhart said...

Wow! What an awesome post!! Yay! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Great job againnn. I want to see John Green...just need to see if I can go to the Indy one or the Columbus one...decisionssss.

lol

Lauren

Reader Rabbit said...

Thanks for the mention <3

and now it's time for me to check out all these awesome links *hug*

Gabbi said...

I love how the two reviews for Plain Janes are side-by-side and completely different!

TruBlu93 said...

I don't know if I can tab anymore links. I Love YA Connection. Keep Up the Good work.

=)
TruBlu

Book Chic said...

Thanks so much for the mention and I love all these links! They're great! :) You both do such an awesome job with this.

Oh, and I'm hoping to see John Green when he comes to VA in November- I'm excited!

Book Fanatic 101 said...

Oh YA Connection is so freakin awesome! And cool contest giveaway this week. :)

Carol said...

Thanks for mentioning me! :)

Chelsea said...

Thanks for the mention! Yet another awesome YA Connection. :) I likey.

Melissa Walker said...

You guys are fast replacing my google reader! Yay!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph