Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bite Sized Reviews, Part 1

I finished reading some books a while ago and have come to realize I don't have much to say about 'em, so I'll do a two-part mini review segment in which to talk about them. Here they are:



Francey by Martin Dubow
Ahh, I like historical. What I liked the most here was how Francey was so very mature (for a sixth grader). This book has a wholesome quality that I’m sure people appreciate—mystery, romance, et al. I really don’t have a lot to say in this case especially, to be quite honest, except for the fact that Martin’s writing is atmospheric and sets you in the scene.

That said, this is what I’d call a “mood read”, which means you have to be in a certain ominous/mystery-craving/explorative mood to fall in the story. So it might not work for everyone. One read was enough, which is why I’m rating it a C+/B-.




Must've Done Something Good by Cheryl Cory
A cute romance with a Pride & Prejudice premise. While it’s a classic story reworked, there are definitely unique aspects. Plus, who in their right mind gets tired of Mr. Darcys? Anyone? Didn’t think so!

The story revolves around Sylvia who has a new teaching job at a private school. She teaches English Literature and while her class is reading Pride & Prejudice she finds her own Mr. Darcy. Trouble ensues as is the norm but Sylvia keeps it light with fun literature and movie references. Must’ve Done Something Good is a feel good read sure to put you in the mood for discovering the original Mr. Darcy. While I didn’t find anything particularly original in this novel, it’s overall enjoyable. Though it is better suited for the adult crowd. Same as with Francey—one read was enough. C+/B-


Falling for Romeo by Jennifer Laurens
Here’s another one that tears a page out of the classics. You know, this book’s got the elements needed for a worthwhile read but... the characters didn’t do much for me and, I’m sorry, but the typesetting was distracting. Who publishes an entire book in Century Gothic? (Hint: it's this font I'm using now.) It’s too distracting to read. Package needs some work. That said, the romantic tension between the characters was not bad at all.

I do wish it’d been edited a little more thoroughly, however. The typos (on top of the typeset) became distracting. I’m pretty sure there were some consistency issues, too, though I didn’t read closely enough to figure that out.

All in all, I can’t recommend this one. D+

6 comments:

Amee said...

Haha, I love mini-reviews. Sometimes there just isn't a whole lot to say.

Lenore said...

I personally am a HUGE fan of Century Gothic, though my favorite font is New Century Schoolbook.

Alea said...

LOL @ Century Gothic. At least it wasn't comic sans or papyrus. Don't get me started on fonts...

mari said...

Short and sweet. Love it!
Francey sounds interesting.

Eli said...

Oh my. This is a very good idea. May I steal it? I promise to credit you...

Goodness gracious. Get your own ideas, Eli.

Book Chic said...

While the font in Falling for Romeo was different from the regular ones used in books, I still kinda liked it.

And I kinda figured you wouldn't enjoy the Romeo book. As soon as I saw the cover graphic, I was like "Oh, this probably got a bad review." I liked it though- was very cute.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph