Thursday, October 23, 2008

Author Interview: Rachel Caine (!!!)

I heart Morganville Vampires. Lovelovelove. A more comprehensive review coming when I'm comprehensible myself. Until now, read a little in Rachel's own words (to which the books can serve as "further reading")...

About the Author: Rachel Caine has been writing and publishing novels and short stories since 1991. She is a former professional musician who has the distinction of having played with such musical legends as Henry Mancini, Peter Nero and John Williams ... she's also an avid movie buff, a TV-holic, and prefers a good stout Guinness to wimpy American beers.

Rachel recently (finally) gave up her day job as a Director of Corporate Communications for a large multinational corporation, and is now happily writing full time.

Visit her online at http://www.rachelcaine.com/. (She designed her own website, too!)

Could you describe your road to publication for us?

It’s a funny road, actually. I wrote for many years just for myself; a friend of mine got fed up with me writing and sticking stories in drawers, so he bought me a ticket to a writer’s conference where I met an editor who hired me for my first book! (It was a “work for hire” – a game tie-in novel.) After that, I started writing original novels.

You write for the adult market as well as for the YA one. What are the biggest differences between the two? Which do you prefer? (You know which one you should pick. :P)

You know, I really don’t find all that much difference at all! I think storytelling is storytelling. The only thing that differs for me, realistically, is the age of the characters. And because of the age of the characters, I’m more sensitive about where I take them, and how ... and more aware of the possible consequences for the characters.

I love both markets, but I think I might love YA just a *little* bit more. :)

[Steph: Damn straight.]

So, us fans are in the dark here—exactly how many Morganville Vampires books can we expect in all? Will they all be as awesome as their predecessors?

Right now, I’m going to tie up the storyline I have going in Book 6, CARPE CORPUS. That doesn’t mean it’ll be the last book, just the last one for this storyline – I will probably do shorter story arcs for the future, maybe 2 or 3 books instead of a whole 6!

As to the awesomeness, I will have to leave that to the opinions of my very kind readers. But I have a pretty awesome time writing them!

Can we expect a little oo-lala between Claire and Shane? The anticipation is killing us. (Remember you should never be elusive in an interview :))

Yes.

... see? Not elusive at all!

[Steph: *grumbles*.]

Eve and Michael’s relationship is quite complicated, with her aversion to vampires and his vampire nature. Even though they’re working it out now, one wonders—do you think Eve will ever get over her issues with vampires? On the same note, will Shane?

Eve is going to struggle a LOT. Shane – well, I don’t know that Shane will ever feel good about the whole vampire issue, but he’ll learn to control himself a little bit better. :)

Now, about those cliffhangers... WHY, Rachel, WHY?

The first one (in the Weather Warden series) was really an accident. Then it became sort of fun. I honestly didn’t intend to have cliffhangers in Morganville, but by then I was sort of known for it.

Sorry.

[Steph: Apology not accepted. *sniffs* Well, unless Claire and Shane do it in Lord of Misrule.]

How long does it take you to write each book?

Depends on the book. Generally, about two months ... or four, if it’s really fighting back.

Just for fun: If you had the chance to meet each of your four main characters (Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael) face-to-face, what would you tell them?

Hmmmmm.

Claire: Stop being so responsible all the time! You can’t solve everything. Have a little fun, girl.

Shane: Just say no to your dad. NO. Practice it, learn it, love it. And stop throwing yourself in front of trouble to prove you’re tough. We know you’re tough, dude.

Eve: That Michael’s a keeper. But you really need to work out the bloodsucking thing. Also, try to bury the hatchet with Oliver. He’s learning.

Michael: Stay cool. You’re going to need all your Zen!

What will come after vampires for you? Unicorns? Werewolves? Fairies? Demons? Bunny rabbits?

I’m terrified of the bunny rabbits, so no.

Killer ducks, maybe.

Actually, I have three proposals that I’m finishing up. And there are no unicorns, werewolves, demons, fairies, or bunnies involved. :) But right now, I can’t tell you too much, because I haven’t actually sold anything!

What are you working on right this second?

This interview.

Oh, you mean STORIES.

[Steph: hardee-har-har. :)]

Well, I’ve written three short stories in the past few weeks, plus, I’m working on CARPE CORPUS (Morganville) and rewrites on CAPE STORM (Weather Warden).

A little Amazon search tells me you have a new series coming out in February. What can you tell us about that?

Absolutely! OUTCAST SEASON is a new series that is a spinoff of the Weather Warden world. It’s a limited four-book series about a Djinn named Cassiel who makes a terrible choice and ends up trapped in human form, and has to learn how to survive – and help the Wardens fight a new, powerful enemy.

And finally: Does writing YA rock or what?

YA fans are the BEST. And it’s such a pleasure to be part of this – I love writing the stories, and it’s just a delight to meet and talk with such fantastic fellow authors and YA readers.

So ... yes. IT ROCKS.

And so do you, for letting me use up your pixel space. :) Thank you so much!

[Steph: ! *dies a fangirl-happy death*.]

9 comments:

Khyrinthia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Khyrinthia said...

-has never read any Morganville books-

Good interview though. =D

Amee said...

Ooh, now I'll really have to read Morganville series.

It's interesting how the author can make you want to read their books more without even really talking about the books. :P

Carol said...

Great interview! I love the Morganville series as well, even though I haven't read the last book that just came out. Glad that the series doesn't end in book 6.

The YA YA YAs said...

Thanks for the interview. Especially the Claire and Shane news! :)

Trisha

Mrs. Magoo said...

I'll check out the series!

C. Leigh Purtill said...

I haven't read these books but Rachel sounds amazing and I love how she describes a book as "fighting back" as she's trying to write it. I can totally relate to that. (And as fast I write, I envy her ability to write a novel in 2 months!)

Reader Rabbit said...

Great interview!

I've read all of the Weather Warden books and the Morganville Vampire books out so farrr. =D
I can't wait to read more, this interview's only made me more excited.

Holly said...

I LOVE the Morganville books! She's such an awesome author!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph