Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Allow Me To Be Pseudointellectual

I just got my first piece of hate mail. Behold:

i loved this book i dont know at you guys are smoking but i read it in a day and i loved it and it was deff. not stupid...u guys are the dumb idiotss..wow....and dont post a blog if u didnt even finish reading it u dipshit
=]


From the Jump The Cracks by Stacy DeKeyser review. (Click here to view the comment.) 

Firstly, HAHAHAHAHA. 

Okay, so now that I have gotten that out of my system, on to the subject of THAT comment...

I’d just like to say that I don’t mind people disagreeing with me. I pretty much make it my business to disagree with almost everyone anyway. So, if it makes you happy, disagree with me. Please. And TALK to me about it. I won’t bite, that I can assure you. It all goes with the Golden Rule principle—I like to talk, so I also like to listen. It’s not either/or with me, and I wouldn’t want anyone thinking otherwise.

Now. In my reviews, I try not to attack the author. I don’t call them names and I don’t address anything to them unless it’s a rhetoric positive (example: Wow, Ms YAY, you really know how to WHATEVER this). That doesn’t mean I won’t screw a book seven ways past Sunday, because I will. But I (at least try) never to cross the line and start yelling at the author. If I ever do that, please call me out on it because that’s downright unethical.

So, don’t attack me either, please.

Also, before anyone points out the obvious, I won’t be posting about every person who disagrees with me. Only when, you know, said person comes, calls me a dipshit, insults my readership, and manages to do it all with such colorful grammar and orthography that it really ensures I’ll be taking the comment seriously at all.

Come on, y’all: You can’t ask Snark-o’-Steph to ignore the opportunity to laugh publicly at THAT.

12 comments:

Khyrinthia said...

"you guys"? Since when is there more than one of you? xD Because no one in the comments really said they didn't like it.

Alea said...

I agree with Khyrinthia, you can read at the speed of several individuals but i'm pretty sure you are only one actual physical person. For some reason when I read that comment I did this really weird laugh where it started really quiet and then got slowly louder!

WannabeWriter said...

LOLROFL*dies*.

I get those kinds of comments all the time on the internet ( because I have ... differing tastes in music than the JoBros fans online ... *sigh* ) and I always find that it kind of kills my respect for you if you can't even formulate your opinion with correctly spelled words and proper sentence structure.

:] "you guys." Most epic hate-mail ever.

Alea said...

I really like that smile at the end too LOL!

Zoealea said...

I'm not trying to be mean to the person who wrote that, but really? You could at least spell correctly?

Amee said...

I think it's hilarious when people get upset just because you disagree (and are willing to publicly admit to *gasp* disliking something). I had a hate mail comment on one of my posts before and thought it did anything but show the person's intelligence. It's one thing to disagree and another entirely to disagree but fail to express yourself in a rational manner (the latter of which seems to be the norm for hate mail).

Lana said...

Yeah, I think the little smile at the end is really the part that makes it most hilarious...

Lenore said...

Like I said, I think it's a valid review to say you couldn't finish it. Life is too short to keep reading books that don't do it for you. And if someone else likes it and finishes it, that's great. But it's not you.

Taren said...

I'm with you guys: the smiley face is the best part.

And you know I'll be calling you dipshit from now on, right?

Shalonda said...

Wow! What a comment. I just started up my blog (only 1 review) and I was planning to review Nick & Norah this week. I could not wait to read it after hearing so many good things about the book; however, I could not finish reading it (some of my decision was the use of the "f bomb" that you discussed in your review of the book). So I was kind of afraid to blog about it, in fear of hate mail.

After reading what was sent to you, I wonder how can someone have the audacity to hatefully disagree with your opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and we are all entitled to disagree, but please be respectful and use correct spelling!

Alicia said...

I agree that the smile is the funniest part. But for crying out loud, can't we all have our own opinions on what we read without being considered a "dipshit"

Pikealicious said...

Okay, first of all- I don't think your reveiw of the book was horrible. You clearly state your opinion and why you didn't enjoy the book. That's is your right. You didn't say anyone should not read the book, and you even suggest a book that is similar in plot.

Second, if I had read the publisher's blurb about the book, I would not buy it for the library that I work at- and I didn't. I remember seeing this in Baker and Taylor and thinking- why wouldn't the 15 year-old take this young boy to a police station or call the cops since she saw his mother abandon him? Why would she think that she is better suited to care for him when she is still a kid herself? I thought the plot weak -and I had only read the publisher's blurb- not even the full book.

So, keep doing what you're doing. I am a big fan of your blog.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph