Saturday, September 13, 2008

Damn These Fugly Covers, Y'all

All right, so I received Flowers in the Attic today. Only I forgot I bought the cheapo mass market paperback edition instead of the trade paperback one, so when I opened the box, I nearly dropped the book:

And that side image is actually a COMPLIMENT to the real live one. The colors are in actuality way brighter: "V.C. Andrews" shines like the sun, or like haven't-drunk-water-in-a-while piss, as the case may be; the red and the blue are also screamers.

Oh and the girl is way more pallid, but that's understandable, given she's locked in an attic.

How I wish I made more money tutoring. Or that I wasn't such a cheap ass. A visually pleasing cover like the trade paperback one (image 2) would've been nice.

I hear this is an amazing book left and right and it's sold something like 4 or 5 million copies (but probably more as the back cover says 85 million VCA books are in print and this is her biggest seller, so...). I know we're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but come on, Pocket Books. I know you could slap a lunch bag and it'd still sell out, but out of respect for the author, give us cheapo readers some benefits. Sigh.

But whatever, I'll probably read it over the weekend (while subtly ignoring my blog pile, double sigh). My friend Taren over at The Chick Manifesto has been telling me this book is awesome ever since I was thirteen and, more recently, Melissa Walker and C Leigh Purtill have reinforced that statement, so naturally I must see what the fuss is all about.

10 comments:

mari said...

I read this book back when I was in junior high. My sister and I devoured it after seeing the movie.

Taren said...

Seriously, I like how you prefer the cover where the brother and sister are about to kiss. Most people find it disturbing. But one thing I've learned over the years is that you, my friend, are not most people.

I can't wait for you to finish so that I can start recommending more VCA to you. It gets so much freakier. And just wait until you find incestuous couples you actually root for to get together.

Ruth said...

That is one fugly cover all right. If the mass market cover scares me, I usually end up buying the trade paperback... I wonder if that's a marketing ploy or if I'm just overly choosy.

Readingjunky said...

I loved V.C. Andrews when I was in high school. Her books seem to be making a comeback recently.

Amee said...

Omg, I just read Taren's comment and didn't realize till then that the trade paperback cover is brother and sister about to kiss. I mean, I've always known that was what the book was about but never put it together when seeing the cover. Lol, it is a little creepy.

Alea said...

This link has tons of Flowers in the Attic Covers. It's a nightmare!

http://madteaparty.dreamhosters.com/vca/dl1.php

Book Chic said...

I don't think it's all that fugly, mainly just the girl is a bit odd-looking, but whatever.

But I do think the newer cover is better-looking than any of the previous covers. What really matters though is what's between the cover pages though. Hope you like it!

Reader Rabbit said...

Haha, that second cover is nicer. (Until you think about how they're brother and sister)
Oh well.

I haven't read any VCA yet. Maybe one day...

Lenore said...

I went through a VCA phase but I only read the Flowers in the Attic series and the one that starts with Heaven. Apparently, all the others were written after she died.

Melissa Walker said...

What you really need is the holes-in-the-cover cover. I'm still searching!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph