Saturday, August 23, 2008

Young Adult Weekly (Week of August 17th-23rd)

Young Adult Weekly is a compilation of links from around the YA blogosphere. This includes reviewers, authors, and some agents, editors, and even articles in an array of publications that have to do with YA.

Each week, there's also a contest accompanying the Young Adult Weekly post. You may find details about that at the very end of this post. Last week's winner was Meredith. Email me, please!

If you'd like to contact me about adding links to future editions or have a book that can be used for a giveaway, feel free to email me at reviewerx (at) gmail.com. For continuous YA news, you may want to try YA Fabulous!, which has a great selection of the such.

Young Adult Weekly
Week of August 17th-23rd

From the authors...

A.S. King (The Dust of 100 Dogs) is busybusybusy, but she's still fabulous.

Alexa Young (Frenemies) has fallen off the face of the earth. Alexa? Alexa? Alexa?!

C.K. Kelly Martin (I Know It's Over) is a new voice in the YA genre, but she's proven to be exceptionally nice! Also, she's earned some starred reviews for her forthcoming September debut, I Know It's Over, including one this week from Publishers Weekly!

E. Lockhart (The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks [review forthcoming]) received a New York Times book review for Disreputable, written by another YA novelist, Donna Freitas!

Carrie Ryan (The Forest of Hands and Teeth) is in the middle of writing Book 2, opening the marketing and publicity floodgates, and witnessing random catfights.

Debbie Reed Fischer (Braless in Wonderland) answers one of my burning questions -- there is currently no sequel to Braless in the works, which is such a damn shame. >.< Melissa Walker (Violet in Private [review forthcoming]) is offering up free bookmarks of ViP! Go claim some! I would but, y'know, teen books--not to mention teen books written in English--are not in vogue here in Unidentified Reviewer X country. So I wouldn't be able to pass them around. *sigh*

Aprilynne Pike (Wings) lost her wallet, sent her daughter off to 1st grade, andandand is on vacation in Hawaii! Jealous, as I should be. Oh, and Aprilynne also has a MySpace account, something I did not know. Go add her!

Elizabeth Scott (Living Dead Girl [review forthcoming]) returned from her trip! Read about it here.

Stephanie Kuehnert (I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone) just had her last day at her job! And how did she spend that last week? Having fantasies about a home scrub down. Hey, to each their own. :)

Justine Larbalestier (How To Ditch Your Fairy [review forthcoming]) has a blog filled with interesting topics, so if you're one who likes to discuss various aspects of the business down to the core, go over there. Or subscribe. One that caught my eye this week was about people who only read books by women writers and people who only read books by male writers.

Jenny Davidson (The Explosionist) seems to be in the middle of a lot of stuff, so I'm not technically sure of this, but my powers of deduction point toward a possible January release of her second book, the sequel to Explosionist.

Megan McCafferty (Fourth Comings) posted a partial list of frequently played songs on iTunes. She also mentioned she was revising Perfect Fifths, which yes is pretty obvious since it's still months before its release, but just the mention of it made me smile.

From the reviewers...

First thing: I just found out of a great book blog called Bookish Ruth! Check it out!

Reviewer X reviewed the much-disappointing Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle and the way-better Death by Latte by Linda Gerber. She also had some discussion posts: Reviewer = Writer? (and the followup, ...But Isn't It Prejudicial?), and So, Paper or E?

The Ravenous Reader reviewed Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (and, ick, liked it :P) and How To Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier.

The Page Flipper reviewed Serafina67 by Susie Day and Remembering Raquel by Vivian Vande Velde.

Presenting Lenore reviewed The Smart One by Ellen Meister, The Big Splash by Jack Ferraiolo and Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi.


Teen Book Review reviewed North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley and The Spellman Files & Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz.

Frenetic Reader reviewed Inexcusable by Chris Lynch and A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl by Tanya Lee Stone.

Booked Books reviewed Freezing Point by Karen Dionne, The Hunt for the Seventh by Christine Morton-Shaw, and The Leanin' Dog by K.A. Nuzum.

All Five Stars reviewed Ambition (a Private novel) by Kate Brian.

From The Corner of Megan's Mind reviewed Rumors by Anna Godberson.

The Book Muncher reviewed Two Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt, How to Hook a Hottie by Tina Ferraro, Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, and Cruel Summer by Alyson Noël.

YA Book Realm reviewed The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, a book I really, really want!

Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf reviewed The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong and Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford.

TL Book Nook reviewed The Angel Experiment by James Patterson.

Book Chic reviewed Identical by Ellen Hopkins.



Contest inventory...

C.K. Kelly Martin is having an I Know It's Over contest. This one ends on September 23rd.

Elizabeth Scott is holding a Picture This! contest. It ends on August 29th.

Melissa Walker has a Violet in Private contest going on. Deadline: September 1st.

Presenting Lenore is giving away three signed copies of The Big Splash by Jack Ferraiolo. It ends on September 3rd.

The Page Flipper's weekly contest is for Amor and Summer Secrets by Diana Rodriguez Wallach!

Released this week...

[this is a discontinued section -- takes up too much time >.<


Next week on Reviewer X...

The usual =)

And now I leave you with...

Win a copy of Coert Voorhes The Brothers Torres. To enter, please email yaweekly@reviewerx.com. :) Extra entries may be earned by blogging about this or posting a link to your Contests sidebar item and telling me in the email.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

15 comments:

Book Chic said...

Yay! Thanks for the mention, and now I added two more authors to my myspace, and found lots of fun links!! :)

I'm so glad this is back, and I'm not upset or whatever to see the "Books Released This Week" gone. It is a bit much, though the other thing you could just do is link to the Amazon page rather than showing cover art and summaries.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Bookish Ruth is a great blog. I've found quite a few new book blogs lately actually from browsing around and whatnot.

Great week of stuff though! Lots going on. Fun Fun.

Alexa Young DID kind of disappear! LOL

-Lauren

Booked Books said...

Awesome! Thanks for the contests as well as mentioning me!

YA Fabulous looks interesting. (=

Lauren said...

Thanks for mentioning me!!

It's awesome that you have this again. I was so excited when I read that Megan McCafferty was writing Perfect Fifths. Also, it is a shame that there won't be a sequel to Braless in Wonderland. It was such an awesome book.

ambeen said...

Thanks for mentioning me! :)

I like the addition of the contests section too. ;)

The Compulsive Reader said...

The Hunger Games was spectacular. I think it takes the cake. About as good as Westerfeld's Uglies, if not better. It took a great deal of self control to keep from raving about it in my review.

http://thecompulsivereader.blogspot.com/2008/08/hunger-games-by-suzanne-collins.html

Lenore said...

The Hunger Games is slowing making it's way across the ocean to me and I will have it in my hands soon - ah the anticipation!!!

Jenny Davidson said...

I regret to tell you that it is my new academic book that's coming out in January, not the sequel to The Explosionist! My due date for the sequel is Oct. 1, so the very earliest the book would be out is fall 2009; winter/spring 2010 more likely...

Nurin said...

great YA weekly =p

Chelsea said...

Thanks for the mention, Steph! =] I really, really want The Hunger Games too. It sounds amaaaaazing.

Meredith said...

That was a good YA Weekly. Got some new books to check out from it!

Thanks!
~Meredith

Khyrinthia said...

Thanks for the mention, Steph. (:

And in response to the above Jenny Davidson comment:

NOOOOOOO!! WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME WAIT SO LONG? Steph's little mention thing about a Jan. release excited me, BUT I HAVE TO WAIT OVER A YEAR? This saddens me. I want to know what happens D:

YA Book Realm said...

After two days without internet connection. I visited your blog and what do I find? That my review was mentioned! Thank you so much. I really hope you do get a chance to read it, I really love to read what you thought about it!

Great YA Weekly. Now I'm off to participate on some of the discussions you linked.

-May

A.S. King said...

BOOKISH RUTH ROCKS.

Ruth said...

Thanks for mentioning me Steph, and thanks, guys, for the kind words in the comments! :)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph