Monday, August 25, 2008

Well, If It Isn't Miss Alaska Young

Ah, you know what I'm reading right now? Actually, the appropriate term is rereading. Looking for Alaska by John Green.

Note that I do not reread books in their entirety. I mean, yeah, I'll reread portions I liked before (usually the oo-lala scenes*, hehe), but getting me to read an entire book over again? A very hard feat, it is.

1) I am very easily bored, and

2) My memory serves no nobler purpose than that of remembering every last miniscule detail of every single book I read.

Which goes hand in hand, if you think about it, because knowing what will happen bores me.

So anyway, I'm rereading every word of Alaska and... Wow. I'm rediscovering it all over again, an experience that can appropriately and adequately likened to falling in love.

It is indeed a wonderful life.

* In other news, speaking of oo-lala books, I have a review of one coming up today, for the kinky inclined of you.

8 comments:

Book Chic said...

Ooo, I'm excited for the review! I wonder what it's for...

ambeen said...

I love rereading! I reread entire books because I simply don't have the memory you do and/or don't care if I know what happens (probably because I'm a peeker. I'll often take a peek at the last chapter to see how things turn out because I have to be sure it's going to be okay if the characters are in toil at whatever point I am in the book). I agree that it can be likened to falling in love over and over.

I often just reread parts of books like you do. If I don't have the time to reread a whole book, I'll spend an hour or two rereading the sentimental parts of my favorites. :)

ambeen said...

Haha, I meant turmoil in the sentence in parenthesis, not toil. :P

Alea said...

I just got Looking for Alaska this weekend for 3 dollars! Yay!! I'm sort of scared to read it, I'm not positive I know "the twist" but I think I know what it is. The whole, 165 days before 30 days before think kind of creeps me out. i guess I"ll just have to read and find out for myself!

20 pages left of american wife....

Caroline said...

I reread books a lot, but only because I don't usually have books to read for the first time (*poor* *destitute* *sad*) but I don't typically enjoy them as much.
But Looking For Alaska might have even been better the second time around. Ahh, how I love that book.

Book Chic said...

Where's the review of the kinky book? lol I was looking forward to this all day.

Melissa Walker said...

I just read this book this summer and ADORED it. I'm still thinking about everyone in it and how they're doing, like they're friends.

Little Willow said...

I love the ending paragraph to the nth degree.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph