Sunday, August 3, 2008

Reviewer Profile: Harmony Book Reviews

Name: It's a secret :)
Alias: Harmony
Headquarters: http://harmonybookerviews.wordpress.com
Mission: To find out about amazing books and recommend them to the world.
Genres: Mostly YA but some MG and occasionally an adult book that teens would like

What's your occupation by day?
Student

What made you decide to tackle this whole blog reviewer biz?
I was bored one day and looking for something and I came across Teen Book Review's blog and I was amazed. Then, I started looking around more and found The Page Flipper and The Compulsive Reader and I was like "I can do this!" so I emailed TBR with tons of questions and being the awesome person she is, she answered them. It all started because I was bored and, I'll admit this, I wanted some free books and now look where it's got me!

What are your blog's strong points?
I think the best features are the Author of the Month, as well as the fact that I'm willing to do almost anything to promote an author.

What are the best aspects of being a reviewer?
Getting free books is one of the best parts because I find out about so many that I probably normally wouldn't buy but the best part is probably talking to all of the reviewers about books and working together to come up with new features. It's tons of fun and most of the reviewers are super-nice.

How are you in terms of negative reviews? Are you afraid of posting them? How do you handle them?
This has never really happened. I'm pretty easy to please. If there's something I don't like about a book, I'll mention it in the review, along with positive things. However, there was one book that I just couldn't finish. It was by a self-published author and I just couldn't do it. I tried for weeks. I finally ended up sending them a message explaining that I just couldn't finish it. They seemed to understand. I was going to post a review of it but since I didn't have much positive to say, I thought that I'd rather waste my time on other things.

However, if I do finish a book and I didn't enjoy it much, I'd review it and point out what I didn't like and why. But I'd also include some positive things.

Now for a sneaky question: Which currently-released/forthcoming books are you dying to read? (Compliments to Ravenous Reader on this question.)
Um...do you seriously want my full list? My Amazon wishlist is currently over 25 pages long. (Yeah, I do realize that makes me seem pretty greedy.) But some of those are ones I'm hoping to get for my library.

As for a couple that I'm really dying to read? Breaking Dawn, of course. Take Me There by Susan Colanti looks awesome too. I recently found out about Thou Shalt Not Dump The Skater Dude and Other Commandments I Have Broken by Rosemary Graham and I've been dying to get my hands on that. As for some others... Invisible Touch by Kelly Parra, anything by Melody Carlson and Dandi Daley Mackall, Life As It Comes by Anne-Laure Bondoux, Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, and Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly by Gail Carson Levine.

Yeah...That was probably a bad question to ask me. I do realize, however, that I will probably never get all of those books. It just amuses me to look them up. :)

In your opinion, where lies the heart of a good book?
To me, for a book to be good, the plot and characters have to work well together. For example, Harry Potter would not be as awesome as it is if the main character was a twelve year old giggling girl. If the plot and characters fit each other perfectly, chances are the book is gonna be awesome.

What books rocked your world? Which authors?
Books: Twilight, Harry Potter, Defying the Diva, I Heart You, You Haunt Me and I know there's more.
Authors: Alexa Young, Stephenie Meyer, J.K. Rowling, Catherine Clark and Ally Carter

What are some of your other passions and interests?
Horses, music, writing, and my friends. I'm a complete horse freak, even though I've never ridden one before and I'm addicted to writing and music. My friends just plain rock :)

Can you roll your tongue or do other nifty stuff?
Um, I don't know.

What music do you love? Any movies you can watch over and over again and not get bored? TV shows?
Music, as I said before, is one of my favorite things ever. I love finding out about new bands. Right now, my favorites are Linkin Park, We the Kings, Switchfoot, New Found Glory, Jesse McCartney (yes, I'm admitting it), The Spill Canvas, The Less, Leona Lewis, and Skillet. There's so many others but I'd bore you because music is one of my favorite things to talk about.

As for tv and movies, I don't really watch that much. I'm addicted to One Tree Hill though and I can watch A Cinderella Story over and over. I like Harry Potter and Prince Caspian (Ben Barnes is a hottie!) too.

Young Adult or death?
You know that answer :)

6 comments:

ambeen said...

Another great interview. :)

Wow, 25 pages? I thought my 8 pages was a lot.

Book Chic said...

Yay Harmony!! Great profile- I enjoyed reading this. :)

Alea said...

I love my amazon wishlist and my bookmooch wishlist. It's much easier then keeping a paper list. I think my amazon list is like 5 pages long, seemed long to me but apparently it isn't! I think I've had some things on there for several years. I actually finally purchased something off that list from like 2005! Me and a friend like to get each other christmas gifts and birthday gifts off those lists!

The Book Muncher said...

I will quote you from your interview:
"For example, Harry Potter would not be as awesome as it is if the main character was a twelve year old giggling girl."

that says it all. you rock!! :D hehe

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice interview!!! I should make an Amazon wish list...just to keep track of all the books I come across and want to read.
YAY for music! I love Jesse McCartney too...so I'll admit it with you. But some awesome bands you mentioned...like The Spill Canvas (so amazing live!) and The Less. You need to come to my blog more and talk music with me. I love it about as much as talking books.

Nice list of books to look forward too....looking one of them up now...

-Lauren

harmonybookreviews said...

Thanks guys.

My wishlist is so long because I'm addicted to the "My Amazon" feature and constantly add books. I also add books I hope to give to my library. I realize I won't get them all so I hope I don't sound greedy :)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph