Monday, August 18, 2008

Reviewer Profile: From The Corner of Megan's Mind

Oh my God, blogger didn't post my scheduled post! I'm so sorry, Megan - I was planning on posting this on your birthday (the 16th), but Blogger totally messed up and I didn't even notice. >.< So sorry. Happy belated birthday!

Name: Megan
Alias: paperxxflowers (which is pretty much useless because of the name of my blog)
Headquarters: From the Corner of Megan’s Mind (http://www.paperxxflowers.blogspot.com/)
Mission: To connect with other book lovers, and turn non book lovers into book lovers!
Genres: Mostly YA/Teen, but I have been known to deviate in other directions.

What's your occupation by day?
Working student and girlfriend, parliamentary freak (I believe you call me Madame President)

What made you decide to tackle this whole blog reviewer biz?
Since I live in a small town, there aren’t many people who are really into reading books outside of school. Yes, we have a book club, but it’s a bunch of older ladies. So I came online to find people I could talk to without annoying them with all my book talking, and viola – the beginning of my blog. I started posting reviews once I realized that I would review books for my friends anyways… so why not post them?

What are your blog's strong points?
I’m pretty honest with my reviews (and my blog’s a bit more personal now). Of course, lots of people come for the author feature and/or mystery contests.

How are you in terms of negative reviews? Are you afraid of posting them? How do you handle them?
I’m definitely not a fan of negative reviews. If (and sometimes it seems to happen) I end up having to write a negative review, I try to put something positive in it as well… and remind readers that this is just my opinion.

What are the best aspects of being a reviewer?
If I didn’t say the free books, you all know I would be lying. But other than that, I just love being able to talk about books with others (who have actually read them, and are as enthusiastic about them as I am.)

In your opinion, where lies the heart of a good book?
Hmm… I’ve read many opinions about this one, but I believe that a good book is original, has a mildly decent plot, and the characters are well-developed.

What books have blown your mind? Which authors?
I recently read Jay Asher’s Thirteen Reasons Why and thought it was amazing. Seriously. It was one of those rare books that I started reading again right after I finished it.

I know she isn’t YA, but Laurell K. Hamilton is pretty awesome. If I feel like reading something I’ve already read, 97% of the time I’ll pick one of her books.

Kelley Armstrong’s The Summoning. It’s not out yet, but just reading the first one makes me immediately want to go out and buy the others in the series… but of course I can’t.

Now for a sneaky question: Which currently-released/forthcoming books are you dying to read?
Currently released: A Curse as Dark as Gold, Ink Exchange, The Circle of Blood, Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist

Forthcoming: Breaking Dawn and Brisingr (of course), Untamed (House of Night Novel), Inkdeath, Revelations (A Blue Blood Novel), Identical

What are some of your other passions and interests?
I can play flute and saxophone (the result of some very interesting years in band). I’m a huge photography buff. You usually don’t see me anywhere without my camera.

Can you roll your tongue or do other nifty stuff?
I can roll my tongue and do the clover trick! Aren’t I cool?

What music are you constantly tuning in to?
(older) Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy, 311, Jack Johnson, Sublime, the Cranberries, (older) Green Day, Matchbox 20, (older for both) Weezer and White Stripes. Some random techno and rap/hip hop songs. I’ve got a pretty strange taste.

What are you favorite movies and TV shows?
Movies: Ten Things I Hate About You, Almost Famous, Nightmare before Christmas

TV Shows: Gilmore Girls (definitely! I have almost every season), Law and Order: SVU

Young Adult or death?
… must you even ask?

4 comments:

ambeen said...

Great interview. After reading so many other reviewers answers I wish I could change mine so I could sound cool like them. :P

paperxxflowers said...

It's quite alright hunn :] Things happen.

I was just confused as to why you told me in the email you were posting it in a few hours and then it didn't post... lol

Yay.... wow, I sound like a loser. lol

Liv said...

Eek! I'm so excited for Untamed and Revelations too. And you have to read Ink Exhange very soon as it is simply marvelous.

Thank you for loving Gilmore Girls. I'm almost done with season five and it's probably my favorite TV show of all time. I just can't end my day without watching yet another episode about the hilarious antics of Rorie and Lorelai. Gotta love those girls. :D

Great interview!

C. Leigh Purtill said...

Whenever I talk to people at bookstores or libraries or in schools, they always ask me about Gilmore Girls (I was the network's standards editor for all 7 seasons of the show). It's my one claim to near-fame! :) I love hearing how much people still like it.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph