Friday, August 8, 2008

I'm Doing JAZZ Hands, Right Now!

Title is a reference to Breaking Dawn. If you don't understand , bless you. :) It has little to no meaning about my actual post.

Soooo, anyway.

I'd like to employ the help of you awesome reader types on completing my book order. Yes, I have a high-up, two-digit-number amount of books on my blog TBR pile. Still, I feel the need to order twelve more books for my own personal stash (hehe, sounds so dirty). And I need help with the twelth book!

So far, I have:

Book #1: An Abundance of Katherines by God John Green
:: Regulars (do I have regulars?) know how much I love Mr. Green's work. This is the one book of his I have not read and with the CHEAPOZ! discount on the paperback version forthcoming later this month, how could I not? CHECK.

Book #2: Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
:: Khyrinthia recommended it, and Khyrinthia's a savvy reader. Therefore, 1-clicking it out. Check.

Book #3: The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart
:: I'll be getting The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks soon, and I want to be able to compare the two. Plus the frog on the cover - I love frogs. Check.

Book #4: Devilish by Maureen Johnson
:: Everyone who has read it concurs this is not Maureen's best but you know what? The cupcake on the cover = I'm sold. Check.

Book #5: Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews
:: Love taboo subjects, love the reviews of this, love the concept. Check.

Book #6: Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer
:: Everyone says Peeled wasn't her best, and while I didn't find it memorable in any level, I enjoyed it, so I'm game for seeing one of Joan's more acclaimed titles. Newberry Honor, anyone? Check.

Book #7: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
:: Alternating perspectives. Rachel Cohn <3. Plus an AWESOME trailer for a forthcoming movie. How can I resist? Check!

Book # 8: Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott
:: Fourth print-run already, the awesome title, and the fact I just finished Living Dead Girl, my first Scott title, and was not disappointed. Check.

Book #9: Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess
:: Kelsey and I have a standing deal in which she has to read the best diary-format book ever, Sloppy Firsts, and I have to read this one. So, check.

Book #10: When It Happens by Susane Colasanti
:: Was not impressed by Ms Colasanti's sophomore effort, Take Me There. Alas, this one is cheap over here (Penguin rocks this way) so why not? Check.

Book #11: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
:: Been wanting this one a while now for a myriad of reasons. It even won the RITA for Best YA Novel! Definitely check.

So what will Book #12 be? Suggestions appreciated! It must be in paperback format (no extra cash to spend on hardbacks, I'm afraid) and it must be formidably awesome. :)

11 comments:

cat said...

If you have not already read it, I would strongly suggest "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith.

I picked this up when it came out in 2000 when I was working in a retail bookstore. It was something different for me, I am picky about what I read and this fell outside the box. It was amazingly written and a fantastic story.

Sort of like reading a really beautiful painting.

Cat :)
(found you through Teen Book Review!)

beyondbooks.wordpress.com

paperxxflowers said...

Eep! Glad you're going to get When it Happens. I didn't like the other one so much, but When it Happens was great!

Also glad you're going to get Such a Pretty Girl. That's one of my favorites.

Hmm... the hard part is that I don't know what you have and haven't read yet.

You said that Living Dead Girl was your first Scott novel, so I'd suggest Bloom.

Also, if you haven't read it yet, I'd HIGHLY suggest The Secret of the Rose. I got this book a bit ago from Harperteen (like... a year and a half? So you might have gotten it), but I loved it so much that I went out and bought the hardcover book even though I already had a copy!

I hope you enjoy your new books! I just ordered some also, so I'm waiting eagerly. :]

paperxxflowers said...

Oh, and pass along how Flowers in the Attic was once you finish!

*Heather* said...

You have an amazing list already. I'm not sure what to recommend...

I'm not sure if it's out in paperback (probably not, as I have the hardcover copy, but I've had it for a while, so maybe), but I suggest How They Met by David Levithan. It's a collection of short stories that I'm positive you'll enjoy. At least, if you're interested in Boy Meets Boy and Nick and Norah's. Also, I haven't read it yet, but if you like Rachel Cohn and David Levithan collaborations, try Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List. It'll probably be just as good.

Or you could check out the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard. It's actually better than I would have thought it would be.

ah. there are so many books I could recommend, but none I can think of that are in paperback or that you haven't read.

Alea said...

You have some great stuff here! I've recently read or bought or want a few of them! Have you read I Was A Teenage Popsicle, I think I'm going to try and track that one down soon along with Wicked Lovely. I also want to find The Last Summer of You and Me by Ann Brashares.

I just watched the movie of Flowers in the Attic this week. Creepy!

Book~Adorer said...

We seem to not have the same thoughts about books (Breaking Dawn) but I will still suggest some books just incase.
I know you said you don't have enough money for hardcover but just for the future you should definitely look for The Possiblities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas. I just posted a review for it, it was a great read. Ok, if you like funny reads you should definitely look up, 'Angus,Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging' - Hilarious series. Heather is so right you should definitely pick up 'Pretty Little Liars' by Sara Shepard. It's a great mystery with lots of bad girls. It's very enthralling. The Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder, if you like a little magic with alot of adventure, this will quench your appetite. I noticed you don't review alot darker fiction but if you ever want to, Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz and Tithe by Holly Black are really great also the Midnight Series by Scott Westerfeld but I think his Uglies Series is awesome! Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty series also kicks butt. Also 'Those Girls' by Sara Lawrence is a pretty hot book.

I liked An Abundance of Katherines alot, it took a while to get started but it was a really sweet story. I also liked Rachel Cohns book but I felt like I wanted more out of the end but it was still a good read. Anyways, I hope you see something you like. Everything I suggested, I 100% recommend so you should atleast look them up and read further one them, Ciao!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I want quite a few of those...especially An Abundance of Katherines. So going out and getting that at the store...is it out yet?
I read Hope was Here a long time ago, and I can't quite remember what I thought, but I hope you enjoy it.

But oh gosh...what else should you get? Hmm...I really love this book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower if you haven't read that already. It's one of my favorites.

-Lauren

C. Leigh Purtill said...

Hey Steph! This is a great list and omg, VC Andrews - the queen!! Campy goodness!

My suggestion to you is not a typical YA book: Joy School by Elizabeth Berg. It's a coming-of-age story about a 13 year old girl who falls in love with a 21 year old guy. Berg is an amazing writer and this one kinda falls into YA territory.

The Compulsive Reader said...

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. It won the Printz award in 2004, and it looks really good. I want to read it badly, so I'd also like to know your opinions on it.

Liviania said...

You've got a fabulous list!

I recommend Meg Rosoff - both HOW I LIVE NOW and JUST IN CASE are fabulous. HILN is better, to me, but does involve incest. Both have a distinctive style and interesting themes.

Liviania said...

Haha, just read the other suggestions. The Compulsive Reader agrees with me!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph