Thursday, August 21, 2008

Death By Latte by Linda Gerber

Summary


It was only a few weeks ago that Aphra Connolly’s life changed completely. She had been living a quiet existence on her father’s secluded island resort, until Seth Mulo turned up and stole her heart . . . and provided information that led her to find her mom in Seattle. But the reunion isn’t quite what she expected. Aphra’s mom, Natalie, doesn’t seem happy to see Aphra, and Natalie’s boyfriend, Joe, insists that Aphra go home. Even worse, Seth shows up, only to ask her to return the ring he gave her the previous summer. At least Natalie’s hunky neighbor is sympathetic. But when Joe is found dead at a nearby coffee shop, Aphra discovers her whole trip to Seattle has been based on a lie. And now someone just might be trying to kill her. . . .

Grade: B-

Thank you to JL for this book!
In stores September 18th, 2008.


Memorable ARC Tidbits:
You know how some books have those Also Check Out pages for other books by the same publisher? Well, this one had one. And they had When It Happens by Susane Colasanti on there, except they spelt it Susanne Colasanti. Nominal typo!

Oh and I personally like this ARC better than the one of Death by Bikini. It's smaller, glossier, and cuter. Hehe.

Review!
(Please note that I'm not particularly proud of this review - I rewrote it a ton of times and it still sounds off to me. So yeah, I acknowledge its suckitude. Click here to read Presenting Lenore's review, which is infinitely more coherent.)

Ah, zeroing in once again on the Death By series. The first installment, Death By Bikini [review], didn’t impress me in any way, be it positive or negative. My mixed feelings were because, while the story was cute and competently written, the events were all crammed together making the pace in which I moved through the story feel fit for a race designed to render me breathless—and not in a good way. I mean, there’s tight writing and then there’s size-2-spandex-to-your-size-6-body writing.

Anyway, what can be deduced from that paragraph is that Death By Bikini earned neither frowns nor smiles from me. But now, moving on to this book.

I liked it. Great improvement.

There was a defined pause here that allowed for character growth, something I missed in the first novel. Characters, in my opinion, make any book: their feelings, dreams, hopes, etc. are what shape plots and create motivators. So I ask you, how does a mysterious affair form (in order for a novel to be categorized as a mystery) if there aren’t substantial characters? I get that these are supposed to be a light books, but still. Like I said, there was allowed room for character growth and I felt like Aphra was more rounded, as were the backup characters. Probably cos the setup’s already there from the first novel.

Some details of the mystery were a bit iffy for me because they were either based on stretches or coincidences. But looking at the overall picture, it was another great improvement. The buildup was quite good and the mystery itself, when you got up to it, was adorably knotting. (Yes, such a thing is possible. You know, beachy-baffling?) And while like I said before some details were sketchy, others were immaculate and clever; Ms Gerber clearly saw all the opportune moments in which to include clues and twists in.

But still, my favoritest (dumb neologism *grin*) part was the fact the pacing was just right—not too fast, not too slow.

If you’re looking for a light read, knock yourself out. You can read this without reading the first and not miss much, so...yeah. Have fun, kids.

7 comments:

ambeen said...

That wasn't a bad review! Silly, Stephie.

Anyway, I still really want to read the first. Grr...evil school. Maybe I can sneak it in though. :P

simply_megan said...

Hey I'm glad you liked this one! I've been wanting to read it after I read Death By Bikini. And I'm glad that it's slower paced because I felt like Death By Bikini had no plot since the climax occurred fairly quickly and everything was rushed.

Book Chic said...

I have both in my TBR pile- looking forward to getting to them in a few weeks. Great review!! :) (and I mean that- it was not bad at all! Don't be so hard on yourself!! *hugs*)

Lenore said...

I liked how glossy the ARC was too - but it was harder to read because of the binding...

I thought your review was awesome, dear :)

Book Chic said...

Lenore- I don't like the binding either. It's gonna make it really hard to read once I get to it. I haven't seen the ARC of DBB and instead have the actual finished copy, which is really nice to read. Very floppy and easy to hold.

Steph- I don't see where the Other Books by this Publisher page in mine, or at least mine doesn't have Susane's book mentioned in it. Mine just has a list of other Sleuth books, which When It Happens is not a part of. So I'm a bit confused about that.

Steph said...

OH hahaha my mistake, it was on the LET IT SNOW ARC that they did that. (I know you have that one too ;D - check it out!)

The binding didn't bother me, actually. But I'd love to receive a finished copy of one of these books - I only have the ARCs. I'm well working my way into having an entire series made up of ARCs, hehe.

Steph

Book Chic said...

haha, that's great. The finished copies are great cuz they've got holes in the cover too. Fun to play with. Maybe ask JL for a finished copy of one sometime?

And I'll check out Let It Snow sometime.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph