Sunday, July 13, 2008

Reviewer Profile: In Bed With Books

Name: My name is a bit of an open secret among a number of people, but I still prefer not to give it out.
Alias: Livi or Liviania
Headquarters: http://inbedwithbooks.blogspot.com/
Mission: To save the world, one cookie at a time. . . . er, I mean to read. And read. And maybe do some stuff like eat and sleep that people tell me is "necessary" to survive. Pish-posh.
Genres: Anything I can get my hands on, except historical fiction. I dislike all but the best historical fiction. This does not include Romancelandia historicals (Scottish highlands, Regency, Edwardian, etc.).

What's your occupation by day?
I'm an honors college student. I'm trying to get a job at either the local Borders or Half-Price for the summer.

What made you decide to tackle this whole blog reviewer biz?
In ninth grade I started reviewing galleys for my librarian, whose something of a big-shot for the ALA. In 2006, thanks to her, I got to speak at the Best Books for Young Adults 2005 panel - this batch of nominees included TWILIGHT. I slowly became involved with programs like HarperTeen's First Look and Henry Holt's The In Group. Eventually I decided, why not start my own blog? I've been lurk-reading several blogs for a couple of years and it feels nice to come out of the woodwork.

What are your blog's strong points?
I'm a teen reviewer, but I don't just focus on YA. I read adult books as well and reflect on how well they would appeal to younger teens as well as older teens.What are the best aspects of being a reviewer? The community - the authors, the publishers, the readers . . . everyone is fantastic. I like the interaction. And the free books.

In your opinion, where lies the heart of a good book?
It beats in the chest of the reader. A book can be beautifully written, filled with vibrant characters, but if it does nothing for the reader it's just so many words on a page. My good book isn't your good book. In the end, a book is only as good as the reader thinks it is - not to say prose, characterization, and plot mean nothing.

What books rocked your world? Which authors?
WATERSHIP DOWN by Richard Adams - I read this in third grade after my teacher dared me. It shook me out of the world of chapter books and headlong into YA and adult fiction. (I'm sure the librarians wondered about me, all checking out Nancy Drew, Animorphs, Tamora Pierce, and Robert Heinlein.) I still love this book. It's a wonderful fantasy and I adore Hazel-rah and Bigwig. If they weren't rabbits I probably would've developed bookcrushes on them.

Nathaniel Hawthorne - If he were still alive, I would go to his house and proposition him. His prose. Dead sexy. I kind of blink at people who don't love THE SCARLET LETTER. I cannot read Hawthorne without falling in love all over again.There are many others, but those are two of my biggies.

What are some of your other passions and interests?
I like movies, anime, manga, music, and ballet. I'm passionate about dessert. Other foods I'll talk about somewhat lasciviously, but dessert . . .

Can you roll your tongue or do other nifty stuff?
I can roll my tongue and I have hitchhiker's thumb. I remember odd bits of trivia which enhance any conversation. (At least, if you don't mind that your conversation will make you sound certifiably insane to random passerby.)

What music puts the rock to your roll? Any movies you can watch over and over again and not get bored? TV shows?
I like most any music except for country. Some of my favorite artists are Regina Spektor, the Dropkick Murphys, Lacuna Coil, In Extremo, and CAKE. I can watch any of my favorite movies over and over again - The Lion King, Zoolander, The Matrix, My Cousin Vinny, Clueless, VERSUS, etc. I don't watch much TV anymore.

Young Adult or death?
Young adult please. -WELL we're out of Young Adult. We only had three books and we didn't expect such a rush.

4 comments:

ambeen said...

Another great interview!

I also like Nathaniel Hawthorne. I didn't like The Scarlet Letter but that's probably because it was read to us by the teacher in 11th grade. Seriously. He spent 3 weeks reading it to us.

I'm reading a Nathaniel Hawthorne book for a class next semester called The Blithedale Romance. Have you read it? I was thinking I might read it before this summer just because. :P

Melissa Walker said...

Great interview... Liviania has a really cool back story!

Book Chic said...

Great reviewer profile!! :)

I liked The Scarlet Letter, despite the fact that pretty much every character in that book except Hester pissed me off so much. You have no idea how angry and upset I was while reading that book. But I did still enjoy it, lol.

Liviania said...

Ambeen - It's always nice to meet another Nathaniel Hawthorne fan. You should give SL another chance. Just you, his words, and a blissful afternoon.

I haven't read The Blithedale Romance yet, but I'm planning on it. And you should go ahead and read it! Books are always more fun when they aren't for class.

Melissa - That's me. Cool. Cool like a fox.

Book Chic - I hate Dimmesdale with an undying passion. I have no clue what the fabulous Hester saw in him. However, he got his.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph