Friday, July 11, 2008

Paper Towns by John Green

Summary
Quentin Jacobsent has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life--dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge--he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues--and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

Grade: A+ // Would you expect any less??

ARC: this book will be released on October 2008. Thanks to JL for sending it to me!
Memorable Quotes/Lines:
Hahahaha, no way am I ruining this brilliant piece of literature for people before the release date. (Besides, I can't quote ARCs, now can I?)

Reviewwwwwww!

I’ve read the negative reviews this book has received, and they all seem to say the same thing: Why does John Green always write about a sweet-but-awkward boy who is in love with an idolized, larger-than-life, unattainable girl? Now, I haven’t read An Abundance of Katherines yet, but this is true for both Looking for Alaska and, now, also for Paper Towns. However, I honestly don’t know how people can’t see past the repeated love-based-on-projection theme: each book presents a whole different set of explorations, messages and progression. (Besides which, I don’t really mind a recycled aspect to a book, so long as it presents its own unique ideas, which this one, suffice it to say, did.)

Admittedly, I found a lot of Alaska in Margo during the first portion of the book. Even though they’re physically different (starting with the fact Margo is described as curvy whereas Alaska was petite), there was that same "event unto herself" tenor in Margo that Alaska also had. Moving on you realize they are actually not alike at all, which I think is one of this book’s strong point: The characters are not really who they appear to be at first.

Speaking of characters, I just have to say: uncanny, how John Green captures the essence of a teenager. It’s truly not enough to say that his books contain a certain depth unusual to the YA age-range. In this novel, Green truly outdid himself with the development and revelations each character went through. Q, in particular, grew exponentially since the beginning of the book. No longer a lovesick sweetie by the last page, it feels like the entire experience in looking for Margo hardened him and made him realize the error in his ways. I loved going through this odyssey with him.

Dude, and you know what? I love John Green’s sense of humor. Especially since he presents it in a sophisticated manner, with a lot of context, forgoing the typical style of slapstick/downright sarcastic one-liners that, while amusing, are hardly original.

This book, I’m sure, will appeal to John Green regulars, as well as those who’ve never read a book by him. I liked it more than I liked Looking for Alaska, and god knows I put a lot of weight in that affirmation.

11 comments:

ambeen said...

Wow, sounds awesome. I'll have to reading Looking for Alaska soon. And then buy this one in October! :P

Zulmara said...

WOW!!! this sounds like a keeper...I will need to check it out...

thanks for the enthusiastic review...love the positiveness...of it all...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

Khyrinthia said...

Ugh, WANT. October needs to come faster.

And you haven't read An Abundance of Katherines yet? You must. Very very soon.

Luisa said...

I love the passion in your reviews! It's infectious.

Great review, and the book sounds good too!

A.S. King said...

Just dropping in to say I *love* John Green. Can't wait for this book.

Amy

Lenore said...

I just picked up Looking for Alaska yesterday. It's the only John Green I could find, and everyone seems so excited about him, I thought I better see what all the fuss is about!

*Heather* said...

More than Looking for Alaska? You can't be serious.

Why do you do that? Make me want a book that I can't have. If it's honestly better than Looking for Alaska, then it will be my...FAVORITE book ever, because while I usually don't pick favorites (because it's so difficult), Alaska was tied for first with about five other books. If Paper Towns is better, than it beats all five of those other books, plus Alaska.

I can't say it enough, but 96 days is too long to wait. I'm getting it as a birthday gift from Caroline, but my birthday is nearly two weeks earlier, so it'll be delayed. Which makes the waiting seem LONGER.

I suggest that you do read An Abundance of Katherines as soon as possible because, while not as good as Alaska, it is very hilarious. The humor (which I love as much as you do) is even better, what with all the footnotes and the characters being spectacularly awesome.

Great review, as always, Steph!

Heather

Liviania said...

Katherines is totally different from Alaska. It's more of a normal teen book (w/ sexy sexy math) than sheer awesome embodied on paper.

Lisa Schroeder said...

A friend sent me an ARC and I, too, LOVED it.

Didn't you just laugh and laugh at various parts during the first half? It is so awesome to have a great, sophisticated novel that also makes you laugh. I love that!

Melissa Walker said...

I'm reading LOOKING FOR ALASKA right now and loving it!

Anonymous said...

who's JL????????

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph