Friday, July 25, 2008

Being Emo To Be Made ILLEGAL?!

This has absolutely nothing to do with books, the industry, authors, etc. but I just had to post it.

In Russia, they are trying to pass a legislation that will basically cutting out any sort of "dangerous teen trend", emo involved. Read all about it here. Definition of emo? "These rebels have pierced lips, ridiculous haircuts and too much eyeshadow. They're barbarians in bowler hats, leather jackets and torn-up tights."

I'm torn between sad or amused. This is by far the most ludicrous generalization I've seen in a while. In the same note, it's not like these people are kidding around -- they are actually trying to pass this as a law.

/random post

7 comments:

KissToBetray said...

Oh, that's so sad. I mean, are pierced lips and a lot of eyeshadow is somehow harmful to ther people? No, how other people dress and look has nothing to do with anybody but themselves.

ambeen said...

Haha, that's crazy. Not real surprising though. People will always find something to complain about/hate/try to suppress.

Alea said...

That's horrible. Where was it where a ton of emo kids were getting beat up. I think I read about it on Perez Hilton's site a few months ago.... I try to be emo but I can't pull it off. :p

Reviewer X said...

It should be said that I did have an emo/punk/whatever phase. Though in retrospect, I call it my "poseur" phase because back then (this in like sixth grade) I listened to Hilary Duff.

Yes.

Sad but true.

Alea said...

LOL! In high school/college I listened to more pop/punk. Now I listen to more indie. I do have the all black look down that artists are known for. In college people would always say that was the art professors uniform. I must say I specifically picked out my black framed glasses about 6 years ago for my "look". Still dig them!

Reviewer X said...

90% of my wardrobe is black. And my musical tastes are SO varied (seriously -- I like classical music and rap). I don't know how to define myself anymore, so much that like everyone at my school says I'm "Just Steph". ;)

BUT OMG I LOVE RETRO-STYLE GLASSES. My glasses make me look ridiculously vulnerable, which is why I never wear 'em. Not a good mix if you're a back-of-the-room kinda gal like myself. >.<

Steph

Alea said...

I think we are like two peas in a pod :)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph