Sunday, June 22, 2008

Reviewer Profile: The Story Siren

Name: Kristi
Alias: The Story Siren
Headquarters: http://thestorysiren.blogspot.com/
Mission: To make reading fun and appealing
Genres: Mostly young adult, with some adult titles

What's your occupation by day?
I graduated from Indiana University with a degree in Health Sciences. My official title is a Dental Assistant. I work at an orthodontic office, so I'm an Orthodontic Technician. I make pretty smile. It was actually one of my patients that recommended Twilight to me. Most of my patients are young adults themselves, so I do get some good ideas from work.

What made you decide to tackle this whole blog reviewer biz?
I actually had a personal blog "Impassioned in Indiana" but I never had any visitors! I really liked blogging and I read all the time, so it just kind of made sense. Thus, The Story Siren was born. And I'm proud to say, my blog actually has visitors!

What are your blog's strong points?
As an insider it's kind of hard to say. I guess there are a lot of things that could be considered good or bad at the same time. I usually post everyday. Which can be a good thing, because there is always something new, but at the same time my posts come and go! I have a lot of contests, I would consider that a good thing all around, except that most of the time I supply the books I give away so it strains my wallet!! I just started Author Tales, which is an author guest blog or interview every thursday, I think that will become one of my stronger points. I don't really think me reviews are the best, I am by no means a professional writer, but we are most critical of ourselves, so my reviews are probably just fine!

What are the best aspects of being a reviewer?
Of course getting to read great books! I also like the aspect of the reviewing community! There are some great reviewers out there! Just the fact that someone reads a book because of my recommendation is probably the greatest aspect of it all.

In your opinion, where lies the heart of a good book?
For me that is something that varies from book to book. Sometimes it is the characters themselves, other times it is the plot. It really just depends. Most of the time for me it is the characters.

What books rocked your world? Which authors?
What a hard question! I guess some of the books that have really gotten to me are; Nineteen Minutes, Twilight, Water for Elephants, The Time Travelers Wife, Just Listen and so many more but those are a least a few. There are so many great authors. This is a list of authors that I love and some that I expect to do great things; Jennifer Banash, Jessica Blank, Libba Bray, Meg Cabot, Melissa de la Cruz, Catherine Ryan Hyde, Claudia Gray, Richelle Mead, Stephenie Meyer, Lisa McMann, Catherine Gilbert Murdock, Christopher Paolini, J.K. Rowling, Daniel Waters and so very many more! I hate to only name a few!!!

What are some of your other passions and interests?
When I'm not reading, which is most of time.... I'm an avid scrapbooker! I love to bake, cook, go to the movies, shop, swimming, and walking my dog.

Can you roll your tongue or do other nifty stuff?
I can totally roll my tongue, I can also do the clover trick, where it looks like a three-leafed clover! I can also whistle with my fingers!

What music puts the rock to your roll? Any movies you can watch over and over again and not get bored? TV shows?
I love listening to music, I never leave my house without my Ipod, cell phone and a book!

Artists I am loving at the current moment; Paramore, Boys Like Girls, Secondhand Serenade, We The Kings, Flyleaf, 3 Doors Down, The Veronicas, Breaking Benjamin, OneRepublic, Red Jumpsuit Apparatusm Gwen Stefani, and Nelly Furtado.

Movies; My absolute favorite movie of all time is the Princess Bride! Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly, Becoming Jane, Finding Nemo, Talladega Nights, I love movies really... my favorite genres are comedy, romantic comedy, drama, and action, no scary movies please!

I don't watch much t.v. but my favorite shows are Heroes, Pushing Daisies (is it even coming back) and I enjoy watching the food network!

Young Adult or death?
Hmmm... I think I'll have to go with Young Adult. Although, I read Generation Dead, so maybe I'll go with death and hopefully come back as living impaired..... nah. But seriously, I love the ya genre. I guess I am one of those people who never grew out of it. Secretly I wish my lacking high school experiece would equal something that I've read. I think that is what makes it so great, the fact that it can appeal to more than just teenagers, but to adults also. I mean, even my mom reads some of my books! Reading brings people together. I remember waiting in line at midnight for my copy of The Deathly Hallows, and it was crazy the diversity of people standing in that line. To think that a book brought all those people together, now that is truly awesome!

10 comments:

Book Chic said...

YAY!! :) I love The Story Siren, and I had no idea that she actually had a real job and had graduated from college. For some reason, I feel like I'm the only adult reviewer, and it's shocking to find out that I'm not the only one! lol

Maybe I just don't pay enough attention and everyone else knew this already, haha.

Great reviewer profile! I love these! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I love these too. And I love Kristi as well. Love the music you listed..I'm a HUGE music person, which isn't hard to tell based on my blog, since it's not just books over here. LOL
I really enjoyed reading the answers and it was cool to see what your actual job was. Knew she was older, didn't know what the job/major was. That's awesome though!! I have a friend that is interested in doing that as well. :)

And agreed. It's so awesome to see how books bring people together. Harry Potter is just ONE huge way of seeing that.

-Lauren

Medeia said...

OMG Heroes! ... *pretends not to be a fanatic...and fails miserably*

ambeen said...

I love your last comment about books bringing people together. It's so true!

BC: I know what you mean. I always assume a reviewer is a teen until I find out otherwise. Weird considering I'm not a teen myself, but it still happens. :P

Liviania said...

Scrapbooking! I do that all the time.

I love being corrected in my misconceptions . . . I thought Story Siren was a teen, I thought Book Chic was a girl. (I learned he was a guy elsewhere, but still.)

Khyrinthia said...

I loved her movie and TV answers. Heroes and Finding Nemo = love.

The Story Siren said...

WOW!! what awesome comments! Thank you so much! I didn't realize how loved i was!! I am seriously sitting here with a stupid grin on my face!!!

debbierfischer said...

What an interesting interview! Thanks for sharing so much about yourself, Story Siren. I love how YA lit lovers come from every walk of life, every age, occupation, etc. It's fascinating to me. Like Lauren from Shooting Stars mag pointed out, it's awesome to see how books bring people together. :)

The Book Muncher said...

we share a lot of things in common. aka music, scrapbooking!!, movies, books....reviewing (duh!)

loved the profile!!

harmonybookreviews said...

I love The Story Siren. She is freaking awesome. And I LOVE her taste in music. It's just awesome. I'm a huge music fanatic and I'm obsessed with almost every single one of those bands. And her taste in books isn't bad either :)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph