Thursday, June 12, 2008

Guest Blog by Kathryn Williams

Hello, beautiful people! Is the sun smiling over at your end? I live in a pretty tropical place but today, for some reason, it's screaming of a setting where the sun don't shine. Looks like it's gonna rain. I'm not too sure whether or not to take this as an omen or not because while my day has been far from fantastic, I did get offered a wonderful debut MG novel today! That always gets my mood up...

Anyway, enough babbling! I'm excited to introduce to everyone my first ever guest blogger, the fabulous Kathryn Williams, writer of The Debutante. (No, I haven't read the book yet, but I soon will, so you'll probably see a review on here sometime!)


Without much further ado:

Reviewer X has graciously asked me to try my hand at this little thing on the Internets that the kids today call "blogging." While I may seem hip/cool/with it because I'm on MySpace, I'm actually not (and not just because I used the terms "hip," "cool" and "with it.") I am pretty clueless about this stuff. (Exhibit A: I have been saying for three months that I am going to get on Facebook. Still no profile.) So here goes nuthin'…..

A couple weeks ago, I went back to my old school to talk about my new book, The Debutante, and the "writing process." (It's so funny to me that everything that goes into the creation of a novel can be summed up in those two neat, little words, because the process itself is actually huge and sprawling and incredibly messy with lots of twists and turns and aggravations and breakthroughs.)

Anyhoo. First off, I would just like to point out that it is very weird to call your old teachers by their first names. (Unrelated to the real point of this post, but an interesting topic nonetheless.)

So, at my school I got a question from one of the girls (they all had great questions) -- which part of The Debutante did I most enjoy writing? I had gotten this question before, so I already knew the answer. My favorite parts to write were a couple scenes between my main character, Annie, and her new friend/potential love interest, Robert Lee. But not the ones you'd think -- not the fun, flirty, romantic scenes, but the really painfully awkward, cringe-worthy ones.

As I answered the question, I realized how weird I sounded. What does it reveal about me that the scenes I enjoyed writing the most were the mortifying, toe-curling ones that, had they happened to me, would keep me up at night in cold sweats, wondering "Why did I say that??????????" and wishing just to be shot and put out of my misery.

Does this make me a sadist -- wringing my hands in wicked pleasure as I watch my characters squirm? Or maybe it's about me working out the awkward moments of my own teenage years through my characters? (Paging Dr. Freud.) In which case, it would be kind of like picking at old scabs. Which is gross. But I don't think it was that, either.

After some intense navel-gazing, I've decided it's because we all have them -- not belly buttons, but those moments where you can feel the tidal wave of word-vomit rising in your throat, but you're powerless to stop it. This is a universal experience, and I felt here was a chance I had to connect with my readers and make Annie real. I don't care how cool or popular someone is. He or she has, at some point, felt his or her stomach turn inside out as he or she struggled to find the right words or do the right thing and instead came out with… mush or silence or something completely stupid and inane. In fact, I could be doing it right now…

So, this makes me feel kind of less twisted. I'm not a sadist or a masochist who finds pleasure in my characters' embarrassment. I just like writing these scenes because we've all been there. If someone reads that scene and goes, "Oh my god, I've totally been there," then we've connected through our awkwardness -- our humanness -- and I think that's pretty cool, if not the purpose of books in the first place.

--

I thought that was a spiffy guest blog, don't you? :) Thank you, Kathryn!

Oh, and the sun is coming out!! I might go read outside ;)

5 comments:

alison ashlee said...

Oh, how I adore thy refresh button. I could sprout out poetry, I swear. Admittedly, it'd be extremely, horrible, beyond terrible poetry, but that just ain't the point ...

I really liked the blog entry. My favourite parts were:

"While I may seem hip/cool/with it because I'm on MySpace, I'm actually not (and not just because I used the terms "hip," "cool" and "with it.")" - He he! Loved that bit!

"First off, I would just like to point out that it is very weird to call your old teachers by their first names." - That's very true. All the uni lecturers go by their first name, and while everyone may be comfortable calling Prof. ____ ____ by his/her first name, I still find that ultra weird.

And, I definitely love the last part: "If someone reads that scene and goes, "Oh my god, I've totally been there," then we've connected through our awkwardness -- our humanness -- and I think that's pretty cool, if not the purpose of books in the first place."

Praise the Lord for the refresh button. Seriously. I adore this blog a whole lot. Hope you have more posts up soon!

ambeen said...

Haha, great guest blog! I loved it. I'm actually having my first guest blog next week! Weird how everything syncs up sometimes. :p

Meredith said...

Great blog. Good job, Kathryn!! I cannot wait to read The Debutante!

Book Chic said...

haha, hilarious guest blog post! Kathryn rocks! I love her- she's such fun to chat with. :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Aw, Kathryn is awesome and she did a great guest blog. I would imagine that it would be odd to call your teachers by their first name years later!
But yeah, everyone has those awkward moments and you HAVE to make your characters real. It makes the books more fun to read..:)

Lauren

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph