Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Summary
California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!,” a break-up song that’s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can’t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

Grade: A // EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memorable Quotes:

How about the entire damn book? Seriously, there are too many, so I’ll just link to the excerpt so you can get a real taste of this novel. Behold, the fountain of youth:c http://www.audreywait.com/excerpt.html


Review:

(Side note: Did anyone notice some (okay, a lot of) typos in this book? A glaring one is the fact Evan’s new girlfriend’s name changes from Kayleigh to Ashleigh on the last two pages...)

Anyway:

I AM SO GLAD I GOT TO READ THIS BOOK!

Audrey, Wait! is fucking awesome. I hope we can aptly conclude how much thought I’m putting behind that statement, given this is the first time I’ve outright cursed on this blog. (Which is surprising, actually, as I’m such a potty mouth.)

When I started this book, I was expecting great things because of all the glowing reviews it’d received. I went out of my way to buy it, too, which isn’t something I do often. Some people have been saying this book is fantastic from the get-go. I agree the first chapter is positively charming. It is. But then chapter two slowed down, and I was afraid of continuing on, because I was afraid the rest would go downhill, la too many books to remember, let alone list.

Turns out I could not be more wrong. The "slow down" was actually not as slow as I figured (how did I reach that conclusion?), and as soon as I got past this perceived bump on the road, the book charged forward with such flair, such candor, and a voice that just won’t quit. The writing could not be more pitch-perfect (and though there’s a lot of cursing—not a problem with me, but with others it’ll be, I’m sure—the profanity! is! perfectly! done!) to a teen’s. While the narrative often reads like the character is enacting a monologue (and most assuredly not a monotonous one), it’s also got this magnetic, readable quality that makes it shine.

And finally, to my favorite part of any review: the characters. Beautiful to the third power, well-drawn, three-dimensional; in short: great. The development was mind-blowing, not only on the part of the main character, the witty Audrey, but also Victoria’s, Jonah’s, and James’s. And, of course, Evan, even though he’s absent for most of the novel. They all—especially Audrey—had this amazing sense of humor that kept me turning pages. Pair this up with the quick pacing and edgy realism, and you’ve got yourself a winner.

Robin Benway’s got one hell of a skill on her hand. I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next. Whatever it is, Robin, please don’t kill it by sticking My Chemical Romance in the middle :P

11 comments:

Hope. said...

I loved this book. :] I was addicted since the first chapter and I couldn't put it down... I actually almost made myself late for my piano lesson by reading this, and I am pretty much never late, lol. :]

hope.

ambeen said...

Awesome review! You've made me want to read it even more than you did talking about it the earlier today, lol.

P.S. I hate MCR. Please don't put them in a book. Ever. This is to all authors. Lol.

Book Chic said...

I loved this book and am glad you enjoyed it a lot too! I didn't notice that typos, but then again, I had an ARC of it, and since I've read a lot of ARCs, I've grown immune to typos, lol. I still notice them but since it's an ARC, I don't pay much attention to them.

Great review!!

Zulmara said...

Saw Robyn at the LA FESTIVAL of books and she was AWESOME!!! I have yet to pick up the book, but it is on my agenda of books to get...

thanks for the great review...it will have to move up on my list...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

Elainareads said...

Awesome review!! I loved this book too, its one of my favorites this year.

=D

Luisa said...

Wonderful review! I want to read this book! I want to read it now!

I love this site sooooooo much!

Luisa

Alea said...

Ok. That's it. I'm going to start reading this RIGHT NOW. I pulled it off my bookshelf and it's GO TIME!

Jennifer said...

I just read this last week and though it was fantastic!

As an author myself, I know how frustrating typos can be--they are usually "printer errors" and get introduced when the book goes to press. They are truly unfortunate, and, with the exception of continuity errors like a character's name changing suddenly--are usually, to a certain extent, unavoidable. I wish copyeditor's were more careful in general, but that's a whole OTHER ball of wax . . . :)'

I think Robin's got a great authorial voice, and I know I'll be running to the store to pick up her second release when it comes out :)

-Jennifer Banash
www.theelitebooks.com

Anonymous said...

I saw the same thing with Kayleigh and Ashleigh! i just finished the book just now and thought it was great! 10/10

Alejandra said...

I actually got to meet Robin! She was a guest teacher at a writing workshop in Santa Monica this past summer, and she was amazing.
She just finished a novel about three sisters called The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June. She showed us the cover art, and it was pretty intriguing.

And she told us Audrey, Wait! was inspired by a breakup song by Rooney. She told us that when she really listened to the lyrics, she realized they were actually pretty mean. So she started thinking about the person that song was written about, and what that person might have to say about the song, and voila!

Anonymous said...

Hey, mcr is good. :p Well, they used to be and the author is obviously a fan.

But I lovved this book. Especially Victoria. She just stole the book for me. :D

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph