Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren by Wendy Toliver

Summary
Geeky to gorgeous in sixty seconds...

Roxy's about to turn sixteen, but life isn't so sweet. As a band geek, Roxy can barely get the cute guys to notice her, much less go out with her. Then, on her birthday, Roxy is transformed into a siren: seductively beautiful with the power to control all men. She thought sirens were an ancient myth, but suddenly Roxy can get any guy she wants with just a few notes on her flute.

There are only two rules: don't tell anyone about being a siren, and don't fall in love. When she starts dating Zach, the guy everybody's crushing on, Roxy realizes she could get used to this siren thing...but how can she keep herself from falling in love?

Grade: B - Fun Beach Read

Review:
I'm an avid reader of the entire Simon Pulse Ro-Com line, so I would've picked this book up anyway--but the gorgeous cover didn't hurt. And I wasn't disappointed with the story, either.

Roxy is surprised to find out, on her sixteenth birthday, that she's a siren. This means a ton of great stuff: beautiful looks, a charming personality (quite literally), and, above all, recognition from her classmates. No longer the ugly duckling, Roxy isn't very upset with the one limitation of being a siren: she can't fall in love. Well, that is, until she does...

Wendy Toliver's got a really nice voice in her writing, and it worked very well here. This was a fresh read. One of the things I loved the most about it were the passages from the book about sirens Roxy's grandmother gave her so she could better understand the history behind it all. I'm a sucker for all things mythical, and the story was well substantiated in that aspect.

All in all, this book's a keeper. The characters were likeable, the plot, while sometimes heading down clich├ęs lanes, always finds a way to twist itself towards originality, and the whole feel of the story is pretty nice. The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren is great for a light, fun mood. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a beach read style of book.

4 comments:

ambeen said...

Great review! I have 2 of the Simon Ro-Coms and can't wait to read them. :D

Anna R said...

That was a wonderful review. I love Wendy who is my BGFF and her writing and obviously loved Siren. Your review was perfect- you got it! I have fussed at a few reviews that missed the whole thing. I am on The Simon Pulse Teen Board and get to read lots of their books. This is one of my total favorites- but I have to confess I love Wendy and she is really a good friend. But my reviews are honest! This is a great book.

The Book Muncher said...

i thought this book was so cute too!!

Reader Rabbit said...

Love the new rating system ;)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph