Saturday, May 3, 2008

Reviewer Profile: The RAVENous Reader

Hey everyone! First ever Reviewer Profile, woot woot! Authors, Reviewer Profiles are to help you get to know reviewers better. Reviewers, if you're interested in getting profiled, please click here to read the info post and email me!

Without further ado:

Name: It's not a secret, but I'm not saying. Although, if you email or message me, I sometimes sign with my real name. :p
Alias: ambeen
Headquarters: My little room. The bed on lazy days. (Also: http://theravenousreaderreviews.blogspot.com/)
Mission: My mission is to get people interested in reading and talking about what they read.
Genres: YA, Christian fiction, chick-lit, but I'll try anything once.

What's your occupation by day?
Student, playmate to my niece, food dispenser to the cat, channel flipper to my mom. I guess you could say I'm a Jill-of-all-trades.

What made you decide to tackle this whole blog reviewer biz?
Well I originally was reviewing reality tv but that was a difficult schedule to stick to so I turned to books since I am always reading anyway (especially during the commercials). Plus it's a better schedule and I enjoy it so much more!

What are your blog's strong points?
I'm not afraid to give a bad review, I tell it like it is. I will try anything once so authors don't have to be afraid to send me their book just because it's not one of my regulars. I try to do the best I can and work hard at making my blog a nice place for reviews.

What are the best aspects of being a reviewer?
Hearing feedback from readers and authors. And the Holy Grail for reviewers, having an author respect your work so much that they want to send their books to be reviewed.

In your opinion, where lies the heart of a good book?
The characters are super important. I want to know why a characters is the way they are, why they do what they do. I want the characters to drive the story in addition to the actual plot.

What books rocked your world so intensely, you might as well have fallen off the face of the earth? Which authors?
That's a tough question with infinite possibilities so I'll just talk about the recent books to knock my socks off. The Gemma Doyle books have been rocking my world recently. I was also immensely impressed with the new E. Lockhart novel, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks. Elizabeth Scott, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Sarah Dessen (just to name a few) have all rocked my world whether recently or in the past. This is seriously an evil question for a bookworm.

What are some of your other passions and interests?
I love tv (obviously since that's where I originally started as a blogger) and movies. Really anything with a story is something I can't get enough of. I have an extensive collection of sweaters, jackets, and hoodies. Some girls collect shoes, I collect sweaters. I'm pretty generic in the rest of my interests.

Can you roll your tongue or do other nifty stuff?
I can roll my tongue and twist it around (something easier shown than explained). I'm a little bit psychic as well.

What music puts the rock to your roll? Any movies you can watch over and over again and not get bored? TV shows?
I have a wide variety of music I like. I like some country, some rock, some adult contemporary, some jazz, just whatever catches my attention. I love movies so it's really hard to choose a favorite. Choosing favorite movies or books is like choosing your favorite child, it's next to impossible. I can safely say my favorite tv show is Friends. It's the best. Ever. I laugh every time I watch the show, even if it's an episode I've seen 30 times before.

Young Adult or death?
YA, of course. Why choose death when you have a YA book to read? Hopefully when we do die, though, we get ARCs like in It's A Wonderful Life when Clarence is reading the new Mark Twain. ;)

10 comments:

Book Chic said...

Yay comments re-enabled! I had been wanting to leave a comment on Ambeen's profile since I first read it and was sad that I couldn't.

Anyway, I love her reviews, and I loved reading more about her! This is such a wonderful feature, Steph! I love it!! :)

Chelsie said...

Great interview! That is so neat that you're doing this!!

Te amo,
Chelsie

Heather♥ said...

haha, totally agree about the Friends thing; I can watch an episode a thousand times and never get tired of it. Especially the one where Monica makes the cookies and Joey leaves a threatening note under her door saying she needs to keep making them. I crack up for hours (yes, hours) everytime I see that episode. hehe. I'm laughing just thinking about it...

Reader Rabbit said...

oo great interview ;) Thank goodness the comments are renabled.

I love Friends as well! Sosososososo many good episodes. I just recently rewatched the one where phoebe's about to get married and can't decided whether she should donate the money or keep it etc.

Anyways ambeen the psychic thing is really cool! can you tell my future!! xD

ambeen said...

Thanks so much guys! You're all so sweet!

Thanks a million for profiling me, Steph, it was a lot of fun. :-)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Awesome interview! this is a great idea and it was fun to read. Can't wait to read more.

Lauren

Melissa Walker said...

Love this feature! Can't wait to get to know more about other reviewers, too!

Reviewer X said...

Heyy guys :)

So glad so many people are liking these! Keep coming back, cos there are a LOAD more coming!

Steph

harmonybookreviews said...

I love this feature! If you ever need another reviewer, I'm always open :)

Anonymous said...

Hey does the ravenous reader live near Reviewer X (where do u live) ?

i'm not being a stalker or anything trust me...

just curious and all because i have read how you guyss or best friends and all.

okay adios
celi

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph