Saturday, May 31, 2008

Reviewer Profile: The Page Flipper

Hello, hello, everyone! Sorry for the lack of Young Adult Weekly this week -- I was so super busy yesterday, and am again today, so this week really = zilch YAW. But I'll make up for it next week, promise :)

Anyway, on to Reviewer Profile Saturday! Authors, Reviewer Profiles are to help you get to know reviewers better. Reviewers, if you're interested in getting profiled, please click here to read the info post and email me.

This week's spotlight goes to the fabulous Page Flipper!

Name: Chelsea!
Alias: The Page Flipper
Headquarters: thepageflipper.blogspot.com
Mission: To help ignorants become literate. Kidding. My mission is to just have a good time. And connect with authors, readers, and publishers.
Genres: I'll read and review very type of YA. Seriously. Every type! And some MG or adult titles, too, if they sound interesting!

What's your occupation by day?
Reader. It's a 24/7 job. But I'm also a student somewhat. And a teenager. My occupation, currently, is to just be me. But I think it'll change to a grocery-bagger or coffee-refiller soon. I need a job.

What made you decide to tackle this whole blog reviewer biz?
I've always loved to read. And write. So I decided to start a blog to write about the books I read. None of my friends really read, so the main reason was to connect with other readers. But it's become so much more than that! I love it.

What are your blog's strong points?
Hmm. This is a hard question! I hate judging myself. Um. I guess the monthly contests? A lot of people enter into those. I'd like to say the reviews, since I work hard on those, but I usually don't get as much feedback on them! Ha.

What are the best aspects of being a reviewer?
Hands down, it's being able to talk to authors. I didn't know they were real people before this year! I remember the first time an author responded to me -- I almost peed my pants! (It was Laura Bowers, author of Beauty Shop for Rent, by the way. Fantastic book. And the first author I thought to send a message to!) Since then, I've emailed with a ton of authors. It's amazing. The free books aren't bad, either.

In your opinion, where lies the heart of a good book?
Characters! If the plot is exciting, but the characters dull, I probably won't enjoy it. But in reverse? Average plot but interesting characters? I'll love it. Characters MAKE the book.

What books rocked your world? Which authors?
This rocked pretty hard -- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I know this is a "classic", and could therefore be construed as boring to some minds, but the characters (Boo Radley, Atticus, Scout...) were perfectly flawed and realistic and wonderful. And recently, I read Looking for Alaska by John Green and really enjoyed that. The struggle over religion that the main character, Miles, went through, was so easy to relate to. Oh, and A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. Also, anything by Laurie Halse Anderson.

What are some of your other passions and interests?
Well, the ten minutes of the day that I'm not reading, I'll be writing. I love it. But aside from bookish things, I like to sing. I just got this American Idol karaoke game, and wow my throat hurts from singing on it so much! I really like music, playing the piano, going to concerts, that type of thing. And being outside -- I'm nature-ish. Simple.

Can you roll your tongue or do other nifty stuff?
Yes! I can also walk on my toes. Like...just on my toes? It's hard to explain. But it's freaky.

What music puts the rock to your roll? Any movies you can watch over and over again and not get bored? TV shows?
As far as music goes, I like old stuff. The Beatles. And various other British bands. Rock, mostly. For movies, I really like The Breakfast Club. And the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, because wow, Johnny Depp. TV shows? American Idol. Heroes. My guilty pleasure is Gossip Girl. Sue me.

Young Adult or death?
Both. They're equally inevitable to me.

8 comments:

ambeen said...

Yay for another Reviewer Profile. And poo for no YA Weekly.

Great answers, Chelsea! I especially loved the last one. ;)

The Book Muncher said...

ditto :D you're funny :D adn i love your reviews (even if i dont always comment, i get forgetful!)

Heather♥ said...

yay! I love Reviewer Profiles. I really loved Chelsea's last answer.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Agreed....the last answer was pretty sweet. Loved the profile though. Chelsea's pretty much AH-MAZING! and I loveee your reviews Chelsea. You have a great way of writing about things. :)

Missed YA Weekly too, but I understand...it does get busy sometimes! I'd love to help if you need it though, so feel free to ask! :)

-Lauren

A.S. King said...

Yay for another lover of The Breakfast Club!

paperxxflowers said...

aww :[

YA Weekly makes my day. lol

I've tagged you for a favorite author meme. Yay for you!

Have fun!

Chelsea said...

Aw, thanks, guys! :) And thanks, Reviewer X, for asking me the questions! I had fun answering them.

Book Chic said...

Yay for Chelsea/Page Flipper! I loved reading this- very funny. :) And I love your blog, Chelsea- it's in my faves!

I am sad about YA Weekly, but considering I've been without internet since Wednesday, it wasn't as much of a deal.

Can't wait for next week's YA Weekly though!

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph