Friday, April 25, 2008

Young Adult Weekly (Week of April 21-25 2008)

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a marvelous week! I know I sure did.

I'm so in awe about the reader response to last week's segment of YAW! It's definitely a plus that so many people liked it, and now I have even more people to include in here. If you don't see your name anywhere (authors, reviewers, and munchkins alike), please drop me a line at reviewerx (at) gmail.com.

So let's get this started, yeah?

Young Adult Weekly

Week of April 21-25 2008

From the authors...

Debbie Reed Fischer (Braless in Wonderland) has a wonderful For Writer's section up on her site, filled with helpful tips mixed with some of her very funny humor. (And yes, I do realize that my writing skills are lackin' in that description, but whatcha gonna do?)

Libba Bray (The Sweet Far Thing) is still fabulous, thanks, and back with a great blog after twenty (yes, twenty) days of no-show. I can finally breathe again.

Stephanie Kuehnert (I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone) presents Rock and Read! Some YA authors, such as Alexa Young (Frenemies), are getting together to mix the book world with the music world in a super promotional event. Books and beats for everyone!

Mary Castillo (Switchcraft) posted a very interesting blog on the relationship between crap and writing.

Ally Carter (Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy) is celebrates the I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You's fifteen-week streak (so far) in the New York Times Bestseller list by posting 15 random things about her.

Claudia Gray is running an absolutely awesome contest over at her blog. The stakes? A $50 Amazon or iTunes giftcard. You heard me. Get moving.

I spy some Reviewer X links over at Catherine Ryan Hyde's (Chasing Windmills) MySpace profile and website!

Jennifer Echols (The Boys Next Door) posted on the Ro-Com blog the next few releases for the Ro-Com line!


Cecil Castellucci will be participating in the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books. Here's her schedule, if you're going and want to see her! Jay Asher (Thirteen Reasons Why), Robin Benway (Audrey, Wait!), Janet Fitch (Paint It Black), Michele Serros (Honey Blonde Chica), Jaime Hernandez (Love and Rockets), and Joe Matt (Peepshow) will be there as well!

John Green (An Abundance of Katherines) tells you how you can enter to win an ARC of his latest novel, The Paper Towns.

E. Lockhart (The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks) is giving you the go-ahead to ask her any questions you'd like answered on her soon-to-be-redone FAQ. Not that this is the only reason you should head over there, but, hey, a free book is at stake, so...

Elizabeth Scott (Perfect You) is having a mega contest over at her blog that involves many, many prizes. Frankly, if you don't enter, you're losing out big time. Preview of the prizes: iPod nano or a $200 giftcard to bookstore of your choice; twenty $20 giftcards to the bookstore of your choice; 10 copies of Lock & Key by Sarah Dessen.

Kate Brian (Ambition) wants you to know that some online stores, like Amazon and B&N, are already dispatching copies of the latest Private novel, Ambition!

Lots of updates from Stephenie Meyer (Eclipse). First, we have a new The Host website! Also, there's an article about Twilight on Slashfilm.com! And last but not least, Meet the Characters of the Film!

Meg Cabot (Airhead) finished the first revision of Princess Diaries 10. She says this will probably be one of many revisions, but hey, it's something!

Melissa Walker (Violet by Design) Rocked the Drop over at Grand Station, leaving off Violet on the Runway!

Tina Ferraro (How To Hook a Hottie) guest blogged over at Poised at the Edge about her work in progress.

Linda Gerber (Death by Bikini) celebrates the countdown 'til her book's release date by giving away advance copies of Death by Bikini every Friday! I'm very happy 'cos last week the winner was me! It's time for everyone else to enter, though!

It's Promo Week over at Teen Fiction Cafe! This means that:

Alyson Noël (Cruel Summer) is giving away a copy of her book, Cruel Summer!

Wendy Toliver (The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren) is giving away a copy of Linda Gerber's Now and Zen!

Bev Katz Rosenbaum (Beyond Cool) is giving away a copy of her novel, Beyond Cool!

Ann Angel (Such a Pretty Face) celebrates a myriad of good things happening for her and her novel, Such a Pretty Face!

From the reviewers

Reviewer X held her first ever Author Week, in honor of Catherine Ryan Hyde! Not only were there two reviews (Becoming Chloe and The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance), we also had a kickin' author interview and a CONTEST that's ongoing 'til Saturday.

The Ravenous Reader reviewed Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. Also, a little birdie told me Ambeen is preparing herself for a contest... You know what that means.

Reader Rabbit reviewed Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George!

Book Chic is having a major Lock & Key meltdown over at their blog! Check out their review of Sarah Dessen's latest, along with a contest that ends today. Enter quickly! Also, check out their interview with the brains behind the book, Sarah Dessen herself! Oh, and I forgot to add: guest blog with Sarah. Totally living my dream, BC!

The Page Flipper has yet another contest! M.P. Baker guest blogged over at Chelsea's, and if you comment on that blog entry until April 30th, you get entered in the drawing to get M.P.'s debut, A Difficult Boy. Her April Prize back is also open 'til the 30th. Get winning.

The Book Muncher reviewed The Writing On The Wall by Wendy Litchman!

Liv's Book Reviews reviewed Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway, a book that I currently have in order!

And Another Book Read reviewed Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin.

Aella over at Maelstoms reviewed two books that sound like incredibly good reads: The She by Carol Plum-Ucci and Chanda's Wars by Allan Straton.

Hope's Bookshelf reviewed the New York Times bestseller Wake by Lisa McMann!

Alexa Young (Frenemies) guest blogged over at The Story Siren's blog. Incidentally, The Story Siren has three copies of Alexa's book, Frenemies, to give away. Go over there to find out details.

From The Corner of Megan's Mind (isn't the name a charming mouthful?) reviewed Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin.

Backtracking from last week, but Plenty of Paper reviewed I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by Stephanie Kuehnert, a book I'm personally waiting very anxiously to read when it comes out.

And finally, we have some new bloggers on the block! Reading Mania and Jory & Jane Review are joining the ever-growing blog reviewer community.






Released this week...


Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen (On Amazon)
“Ruby, where is your mother?”
Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she’s been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.
That’s how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn’t seen in ten years, and Cora’s husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future—it’s a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?


Nobody's Prize by Esther Friesner (On Amazon)
In this rousing sequel to Nobody’s Princess, young Helen of Sparta is not about to be left behind when her older brothers head off to join the quest for the Golden Fleece. Accompanied by her friend Milo, and disguised as a boy herself, Helen sets out to join the crew of heroes aboard the massive ship known as The Argo. Helen quickly faces all sorts of danger. Not only does she have to avoid her brothers’ detection, but a devastatingly handsome boy catches her eye, Hercules falls in love with her boy-self, there are battles to be faced, as well as a terrifying murderous princess and the start of her period. And that’s only the beginning! With her beauty blossoming, Helen’s journey takes her beyond the mythology of the Golden Fleece to Athens, where her very future as Queen of Sparta is threatened.


Off Campus: An Upper Class Novel by Hobson Brown, Taylor Materne, and Caroline Says (On Amazon)

Back for her second year, Nikki Olivetti feels like she's finally finding her way at Wellington. And she's ready to show someone else the ropes, someone new, someone like Delia Breton, a transfer student from California with a dark past. Though Delia doesn't quite fit in anywhere, she knows how to have a good time everywhere.
But when the hunt for fun takes Nikki and Delia off campus, they find themselves in serious trouble. Even if they make it back, they might have forever ruined their chances of graduating to the upper class.


Coming to Reviewer X next week...

- A possibly negative review of a book I'm trying to get through right now. This saddens me.
- New feature that encompasses some of the reviewers.
- Umm, just book reviews, really. No exciting contests/events :(

Have a nice weekend everyone, and don't forget to drop by to see the winners and/or random posts I may put up! If there's one thing here on my blog that you can be sure of, it's that rarely does anything go according to the plan...

17 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Wow, this is an amazing collection of all things YA-writing related. And thanks for the shout to about me, too. I have just saved this link to my blog favorites!

ambeen said...

Thanks for mentioning me!

By the way, the link for Wendy Toliver's contest is the same as the Beyond Cool link.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Awesome job again! I really do love this wrapup every week. It's very nice. :)

The Story Siren said...

i love it, i love it, i love it! what an awesome idea! and thanks for the shout out! keep it up X!

Reader Rabbit said...

woot great YA weekly ;)

Thanks for the mention

Reviewer X said...

Thanks everyone! :D

SSM, I totally forgot to add you in! I promise I will next week--what a crappy thing for me to do :( So sorry.

Steph

Book Chic said...

Thanks so much for the mention. Sarah's guest blog is also posted, so if you want to add that to the links too, you can. :)

This will sound so dorky, but I have been looking forward to reading this like ALL DAY. lol. I was constantly like "When is it gonna be posted?" and checking your site over and over. This is what happens when I have no classes, lol.

Again, awesome feature and very thorough. Also, check your inbox. You have mail. MWAHAHA!

Reviewer X said...

Hahaha, I began compiling stuff today, which is why it took so long to get it posted. I'm beginning to realize this may have to seriously be a daily effort--I can't spend two-three hours on it every Friday like I did today. ;)

But I'm touched that this was anticipated! I seriously didn't know this feature wouldn't be as popular as it is. I'm so glad I went through with it instead of ruling it out as too generic like I originally planned.

Thanks for all the great comments! I love getting commented on here, hehe. And author comments are just the icing on the cake!

Check YOUR inbox. You have mail as well.

Steph

The Book Muncher said...

thanks for linking me :D i love your young adult weekly :D

paperxxflowers said...

Yeah, I know it's a mouthful, but it makes me memorable! lol Thanks for the mention, and leave me a comment back if you're interested in link exchange?

Shooting Stars Mag said...

It's quite alright, Steph! I forget things alllll the time, so it's no biggie. I still love the weekley review. And I'm sure it DOES take a long time to compile. If you ever need any help, just let me know! :)
Lauren

paperxxflowers said...

thanks! I'm adding your blog to the very short list I have on my blog as I type this!

Perfect You was amazing!

Tasha said...

Thanks for the mention. I love the idea of this whole thing:)

ALEXA YOUNG said...

YOU ARE SO AWESOME! This is great. Thanks for mentioning Rock & Read. We're plugging away and hoping for major big-ness. Also: Have you received a copy of FRENEMIES to review? Do you WANT to receive a copy? (It comes out May 13.) I have such an immense respect for your reviews. So, I would totally give your review of my book a good review--even if you gave me a bad review. (See my blog if that made no sense. :) XO

Reviewer X said...

Lauren -- still, I feel bad! Next week, I'll make up for it with a chunky paragraph on all your awesomeness.

Tasha -- it's never a problem! Thanks!

Alexa -- you just officially made my day. Message you/commented on your blog. I'm giddy, lol.

Megan -- yayyy! We're blog buddies :D

Steph

Melissa Walker said...

Love this round-up. You are quickly becoming required reading!

Reviewer X said...

Hehe, hey Melissa! Thanks!! :)

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph