Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Summary
Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She’s stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she’ll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father’s recent unexpected death.

But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother’s open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it….

Grade: B+

Personal wondering...ment:
Is anyone as drawn to this cover as I am? And the title? All I can say is, whoever designed it did their homework.

Memorable Quote:
"But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening. Right then, [...] and every moment afterwards. Look, there. Now. Now. Now." (Page 374)

ReviewerXReview:
No time to waste. Let's talk about why this book rocked:

Sarah Dessen is a good writer. What I mean is, she creates believable and relatable characters that very adequately reflect what teens are like. My favorite part of the books I've read by her is the dialogue, which, if you examine carefully, is unique to whichever character she's writing about. Sarah creates well-rounded characters--that's a fact. And it's probably her biggest skill.

Now, let's talk about the girl of the hour, Macy Queen. Quite a confused young woman, Miss Queen is. Her father died, and grief-stricken Macy keeps blaming herself. Worse, she comes to think that if she can just keep things at a constant, that is, perfectly still, she can control her life. And that's her biggest flaw: this unfailing faith in perfection that she simply won't snap out of.

Enter Wes and the whole Wish Catering crew. They help Macy come to life-altering realizations about the controlled forever she keeps thinking she can attain. Wes, especially, helps her see that the future--the eventual forever--is about changes and imperfections and learning from your mistakes, not a present that moves forward with time, never changing.

What can I say about this book? It had a nice message. It was well written. The characters--Wes, in particular--were for the most part great. I don't know how else to elaborate on it, because, to me, this book speaks for itself. The reason, however, that I'm not giving it a 9 or a 10 is because, while an enjoyable read, it didn't speak to me the way This Lullaby did. It didn't teach me anything I didn't know. But like I said, good read--I'd recommend it.

Tune in tomorrow for why I think This Lullaby is better than The Truth About Forever!

2 comments:

ambeen said...

Great review. I agree The Truth About Forever (and Wes) are awesome.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's post because I'm curious to know what This Lullaby taught you that was new since TTAF didn't teach you anything new. ;)

Chelsea said...

I really, really liked this book! Sarah Dessen is pretty amazing.

And yes, I LOVE the cover and title.

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph