Monday, April 7, 2008

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Summary

For as long as Josephine Alibrandi can remember, it’s just been her, her mom, and her grandmother. Now it’s her final year at a wealthy Catholic high school. The nuns couldn’t be any stricter—but that doesn’t seem to stop all kinds of men from coming into her life.

Caught between the old-world values of her Italian grandmother, the no nonsense wisdom of her mom, and the boys who continue to mystify her, Josephine is on the ride of her life. This will be the year she falls in love, the year she discovers the secrets of her family’s past—and the year she sets herself free.

Grade: A+ - Wow!

Memorable quotes:
"I come under the "scholarship" category, and when I say that, I would rather be the daughter of a laborer." (Page 7)

"Rituals. They come and they go, but the ritual of having to see my grandmother every afternoon drives me absolutely insane." (Page 39)

Review time!
This book is a testament for those people who admit that there are no unique premises anymore, only unique ways of telling them. Coming-of-age stories are tough because they can be a rather indistinguishable group with only the author's voice as the discriminant. Thank God Melina Marchetta's got one hell of a voice in this novel.

I'll admit that when I started reading this story, I thought it would be one of those formulaic, nothing-special tales about an obnoxious girl who goes to school, is in the middle of a family feud with her foul-tempered relatives, and through a series of unlikely events, falls "in love" with some bland boy whose only attribute is his good-looks. The beginning chapter, where you get to see a firsthand example of Josephine's cheekiness, didn't help in deterring my theory. But then... well, as they say, then it's all history. I got engrossed in the story. Josephine Alibrandi is sassy and sometimes too spoiled for her own good, but she's a fun character to read about. You find yourself laughing at her thoughts (not because they are petty but because they are truly funny) and you find that you can relate to her. This is especially true in the parts where you see her friends and the two boys who're special to her.

The part I liked best of this story, though, was the family aspect of it. Josephine's family is from Sicily and their culture shines through in many ways. I was amazed by the "family secrets" subplot, which was very cleverly crafted and contributed to the depth of this book in many ways. The relationships in the family are tested and we get to see what lies underneath the surface, what makes the family members the way they are, and what put everyone in the less-than-perfect predicament they're in when the novel begins.

In short: Melina Marchetta has written an unforgettable story with touching characters, a tight plot, and great wit. This is an all-time must-read and if you haven't read it yet, you're missing out big time.

5 comments:

ambeen said...

Sounds awesome! I'll add it to my wishlist. I'm glad you included the part about why the characters are the way they are. It's always nice to see why they are that way instead of a "just because" sort of reason. Great review!

Reader Rabbit said...

sounds like a great book ;) I'll add it to my tbr list xD

Liviania said...

I love, love, love LOOKING FOR ALIBRANDI. Now go buy SAVING FRANCESCA (same author).

Thanks for entering and blogging about my contest!

Reviewer X said...

Hey y'all!

The book is seriously great. Trust me on this.

Liv -- I wanna get that so bad! one of my friends is sending me it sometime soon! Can't wait to review :D

The Book Muncher said...

oh, this sounds like a good book. i need to put it on my TBR list :D

Post a Comment

Hey! For some reason, this embedded comment form makes most people click twice before the comment is processed and published. It's not you - it's just that it's a new Blogger feature with kinks and all that. (But I adore it and don't wanna get rid of it!) I removed Captcha to make the process easier. You don't have to rewrite the comments twice; just click on SUBMIT twice and it should work. If not, email me. Thanks! -Steph